RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 2016 Ninja 650, I just noticed this today but I can shift gears without using the clutch (No quickshifter, nor am I killing the throttle) I can literally push up on the lever and it'll change to the next gear, granted there is a slight resistance but I remember this being almost impossible to do. Is there something I could have possibly ruined? My clutch does not feel like its slipping.

·
Registered
981 Posts
This is perfectly normal. There are plenty of people who don't use their clutch for upshifting, both on bikes and cars. At the correct RPM range, it should be exactly as you described, a slight resistance but otherwise smooth.

·
Registered
1 Posts
AJ is spot on. I love to shift without the clutch. Just put light pressure on the pedal, find the correct rpm and it will slip right into the next gear.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I third that. It feels rather nice when accelerating at speed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
A quickshifter does this automatically, but otherwise apply pressure with the toe upward, and momentarily close and re-apply throttle, pretty easy. It seems a lot harder to me to emulate an auto-blipper (push and blip throttle for clutchless downshift).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Versys 650 which is the same engine and I shift 1st and 2nd with clutch and after that I just it slides in just fine. Good skill to learn in case you break the clutch cable.

·
Registered
504 Posts
What you described is either normal, or it's also a defect on my 2007.

Your heading reminds me of a funny story. A few years ago I had noticed some sluggishness in my car's transmission. Internet research lead me to find that I needed to add about an pounce of transmission fluid to the car. That's not the story. The story is that while researching transmission problems--spelled out completely just that way--a site called Tranny Troubles showed up in the results. It was not about transmissions, or even motor vehicles, but it did feature a lot of sticks. That's what I get for not having parental controls active on my computer (no kids at home).

Similarly, a friend was once looking up knitting sites without parental controls, and had some unexpected surprises in the results as well.

·
Registered
981 Posts
What you described is either normal, or it's also a defect on my 2007.

Your heading reminds me of a funny story. A few years ago I had noticed some sluggishness in my car's transmission. Internet research lead me to find that I needed to add about an pounce of transmission fluid to the car. That's not the story. The story is that while researching transmission problems--spelled out completely just that way--a site called Tranny Troubles showed up in the results. It was not about transmissions, or even motor vehicles, but it did feature a lot of sticks. That's what I get for not having parental controls active on my computer (no kids at home).

Similarly, a friend was once looking up knitting sites without parental controls, and had some unexpected surprises in the results as well.
LOL! Try searching for "Public Records" and forgetting the L.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts