RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
False neutral between 5th and 6th? (06 Z1000)

Hey guys,

I don't follow Rider Forums as close as I should...lol, so maybe this has been brought up before, or there is already a discussion on it somewhere?

Anyway, I just got back from a 4000km/2500mi road trip, and sometimes my '06 Z1000 was getting stuck between 5th and 6th gear...and I don't even know if "stuck" is the right word...
I pull up, and it comes out of 5th, but doesn't go into 6th. So then, I have to pull up harder on it, and bang, it goes in...not smoothly either...uggh. Most of the time, it shifts into 6th without issue, but every once in a while it seems, it just misses.

Otherwise, bike is working fine. It has 45,000 km on it (27,000 miles) and I've been running the Kawi synthetic 10w40 since almost new.

It has happened a couple times between 4th and 5th, but usually between 5th and 6th. Do I have a synchro problem here? What can I/should I, do with it?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've had similar issues between gears from time to time and it's usually related to chain adjustment or lubrication. Start there if you haven't already.

·
Registered
691 Posts
This has happened to me in the past as well, maybe twice. my friend suggested harder soled shoes which give more leverage when shifting, have not had the problem since.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Mine has a false neutral up there too. It's usually when I didn't get a firm pull on the shift lever. If it's making noise or popping out of gear then that's something you're gonna have to look into.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This has happened to me in the past as well, maybe twice. my friend suggested harder soled shoes which give more leverage when shifting, have not had the problem since.
Interesting point. This is a relatively new "problem" for me...just this season really. I never thought of it until you mentioned it, but I am wearing new boots this year, and they're quite a bit different than the Aplinestars race boots I had gotten so used to.

Mine has a false neutral up there too. It's usually when I didn't get a firm pull on the shift lever. If it's making noise or popping out of gear then that's something you're gonna have to look into.
Ok, I'm also thinking that sometimes I just don't get a good pull on the lever. I adjusted it down, only slightly, so see if the position will help me with the upshifts.

I talked to a couple different bike mechanics today, and they both removed any stress I had with the issue. They both said that they've experienced falso nuetrals on their bikes, and others....completely randomly. Could be any number of things...not pulling up hard enough, different loads, speeds, etc...even if my oil is getting more worn down maybe. Both guys said not to worry unless it starts happening more often, or if it ever starts jumping out of gear, which is never has.

I'm due for an oil change anyway, so I'm going to try that, with the fresh lever adjustment, and see if it happens again.

Thanks guys,

Cory

·
Registered
238 Posts
I got false neutrals on my '03. I only got them on low power shifts around town. I never got one when i was "On it"

·
Registered
129 Posts
Glad you got some similar answers to give u peace of mind. I hate worrying about if something is gonna fail soon cause it's acting funny.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've had this happen a couple times from not shifting hard enough when I'm just cruising lazily. It wasn't smooth going back to gear but I figured the delay dropped the rpms or something

1 - 8 of 8 Posts