RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I just purchased my first bike about 3 months ago. It’s a 2008 650R ninja. I bought it from my brother who only put 6000 on the odometer and got it for a really good price. I have been riding it non stop here in San Diego and absolutely love riding. I have been on this site quit a bit to read and just wanted to say thanks to all the contributors. It really helps out. If anyone has any info on my bike that is worse sharing I would love to hear it. I am new but would like to do some upgrades but then I think to hold off Incase I buy a new bike in a year. But if anybody has any suggestions on some good mods please let me know. I have been looking a lot into the shock and suspension. But thanks again for everything 🤙🤙🤙
Matt Farrier

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hey there, Matt!

You're definitely going to want to check out McRiders Youtube channel. Regarding the upgrades, I have the 2017 Kawasaki Ninja 650, so the parts are unlikely to be the same but the concepts will be. These are my bike's upgrades. Suspension wise, I'd really recommend looking into adjusting preload and sag rather than changing the components altogether. It will be much cheaper and given that you're new to riding you would be unlikely to notice the benefits of upgraded suspension anyway.

Anyway, ride safe and ask any questions you'd like.

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Welcome.

You don't mention whether you have taken the MSF course, but that is a great place to start and gets you a break on insurance.

You also don't mention what gear you have / wear. Quality gear is the first upgrade you should invest in. The second upgrade would some kind of tip over protection for the bike. Third would be ergonomic upgrades to make the bike fit you and be more enjoyable to ride. Forth would be suspension. The very last upgrade you should consider would be changing the exhaust.

Enjoy the start of your motorcycling adventure. I have over 300,000 miles and many bikes under my belt.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Pretty much what TWA said in a little different order. Way more important than mods is the right protective gear to wear. Something you'll hear if you nose around the forums is ATGATT - All The Gear All The Time. It can make the difference between an 'aw shoot' and a hospital visit.

Then take the MSF course and a few weeks later, if you have them in your area, an ERC (Experienced Rider Class). I usually take an ERC every time I get a new bike because they help you explore the limits of braking and turning in a safe setting.

After that, add as you will and enjoy the ride. Never stop learning, always stay alert and welcome to the wonderful world of 2 wheels! Been doin' it since '69.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response guys...... I have taken the rider safety course and have a full leather alpine jacket with a removable vest a pair of leather gloves with knuckle protectors also a pair of summer gloves with knuckle protectors they are both alpine stars smx gloves. Currently I have. Bilt helmet that my buddy gave to me for free but will be purchasing either a Arai or shark helmet. L among more towards the shark because it fits a lot better and has the best safety ratings from what I have been reading. Sooo... I’m pretty good on gear IMO. But back to the original question, I was more looking into mods that people have for this year bike. Suspension and forks is pretty expensive so that’s why I was asking and also just curios into what Jon of mods people have done. Thanks for the response though guys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts