RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all :) i just ordered some touratech handlebar risers. here's the scoop.

i'm having some trouble with my lower back. when it feels ok the seating position on my 2000 zr-7 with corbin seat and stock bars is fine. when it acts ups the seating position aggrivates it badly. since i like riding a lot something's got to change.

this past weekend i rode pdarnell's bike. phillip installed some blue aluminum ATV bars on his zr-7 which also has a corbin seat. the seating position was easier on my back and the handling feels a bit lighter, probably becaue you're supporting less of your weight on the bars. i also think this might be more comfortable when riding two up; i get a little tired on long rides. anyway, i decided to do something similar. i ordered some 35mm touratech risers, shown here:

http://www.cycoactive.com/mc/touratech_taste.html

and here:
http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/index.html
go to "Modifications" and then "Special Parts"

judging by the measurements types 4, 5, 6, and 7 should fit the zr-7/7s. they are available in 25mm and 35mm rise with either natural aluminum or black plastic coated finish. prices range from $37.70 to $41.20. i went with 35mm, seemed the conservative choice when thinking about my back.

i originally ordered the 35mm rise aluminum finish from touratech (phone 206-323-2349). i ordered by phone rather than over the web because i had trouble placing an order on the web site and never saw the site switch to secure http. i wasn't comfortable giving my credit card over an unsecured connection. phone ordering went fine and they were very nice to deal with.

cycoactive, which i guess is who distributes touratech in the US called me the next day. they didn't have the aluminum finish 35mm ones in stock. they said they did have 25mm aluminum or 35mm in black. i said black was fine, my back didn't care what color they were. i asked if i could have the same price as the aluminum. they said no but did take $1 off the shipping cost. fine by me :)

i decided to go with these risers for several reasons. gen-mar makes similar risers seen here:

http://www.zianet.com/genmar/
go to "universal risers"

these are pretty much the same thing but they do come with top caps, with touratech i guess you reuse the stock ones. but the price is nearly double. gen-mar would have been my choice if i also wanted to move the bars back a bit but i don't, at least not yet. besides those are $110. seems ridiculous to me. ok, maybe i'm just cheap ;)

i chose not to go with new bars for several reasons.

first, i've looked around and i haven't seen anything that i really liked. taller street bars always seem to have much more pull back, more appropriate for a 70's era cruiser. off road bars always seem a bit too wide or i don't like the bend. also, many bars cost around $50. kind of a lot of money for a pices of bent tubing if you ask me. 9see above comment on me being cheap) especially if i don't like it. once you drill the control locater holes there's no sending them back.

second, this gives me the opportunity to swap them out at any time if i want. if my back's feeling fine it will only take a few minutes to remove them and go back to the original setup.
one last note is that i won't have to drill locater holes. not a big deal but just thought i'd mention it.

this mod will be more expensive than just the risers though. the stock controls should all be fine (maybe need some re-routing) except for the front brake line. i know it's too short. pdarnell had custom 3 piece steel lines made up locally for his that cost about $80. i also spoke to dale at holeshot. he said they could make me a steel brake setup longer than the standard one for just a few dollars more than the the usual $110. after trying phillip's bike i think the steel braided lines are well worth the money so i'll be doing that for sure. they really improve the brake feel and action. it feels much more sensitive and powerful.

i'm not yet sure which opton i'll choose, have to check local availability. i'm leaning toward a custom setup like phillip's since i think that would make swaps back to stock more easily. easier to squish one line behind the headlight than two.

i hope to get the risers soon, amybe by the weekend. i'll do a test fit without the brake line and if tha goes well i'll get som lines made up and go from there. of course i'll keep you all posted. i'll try to get som pics to post too.

scott :)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Funny thing that lower back.

I tend to have back problems on a regular basis. Usually they just show up with no warning, I can squat heavy at the gym, no problem. Pick up a dell 6300 and walk around with it, no problem. Take it easy for a weekend...BAM lower back pain from hell.

Amazingly enough the riding position on the 7s tends to make my back feel better, and if I tuck in, even better yet.

No chiropractor for me....I just jump on and go riding :)

Hopefully, this weekend I am going to get to take the bike on a medium (600+ mile) trip. We'll see what my back thinks of that....

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i WISH i could solve my problem that way :) stretch before you start and at your rest stops and you should feel fine.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I used to have back pains everytime I rode my little Suz Savage. It had that cruiser bike riding position with feet sticking out front. So I bought one of those weight lifting belts and it helped a lot. I still wear it when I ride my ZR but I'm OK without it. I kind of feel undressed without it. You might want to give it a try.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
blah! the touratech risers didn't fit :( the distance between the top and bottom mounting bolts is just a little bigger on the zr than it is on the risers. i'm sure i could have monkeyed with them, drill a bit here and there but i'm just going to return them.

i DID get a set of o'neal Daytona bend bars. these have brought the bars back and up a bit. i'll give more details in a fresh post.

zrman, i never understood the point of those belts. do they keep your back straighter or something? more support? where? how? i'd be up for anything that keeps my back from getting tweaked. what about off road kidney belts? same thing? details please!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Back Support

Scott,

Now you know why I had to switch the bars on my ZR-7! I went through a 3 month period where I couldn't even walk because of my lower back acting up.

Check out Home Base (etc.) for one of those extra wide supporter for less than $15. They help to hold the spine straight from what I can tell. You won't be able to notice that its working. That is until you remove it after wearing the supporter good and snug for a few hours. You might even want to put it back on..!!!:eek:

Did you do the PVC fork fix? It's almost a "must do" after the stainless steel brake lines.:mecry:

Later,

Philip

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks phil, i'll look into it :)

yes, i did the pvc trick - 3/4". but i got some different bars so i think i'll be taking out 1/16" to 1/8" since the front is a little wiggly at higher speeds. after i get used to the bars that is. it might be me :~

get your pics yet?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Scott:
From what I read, belts protect the back by creating inter-abdominal pressure which supports the spine. The feeling I get without the belt is the lower spine stretching and slamming together. With the belt it feels tighter together. Hey, they only cost about $15, what ya got to lose? Good luck!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sounds like it might help me. i just went to physical therapy for the first time. my problem is that my lower back curves forwad too much and doesn't uncoil and bend the other way when i lean forward. so a belt might help me until i get my abs and but in better shape. thanks zrman!

·
Registered
57 Posts
scottaraujo said:
blah! the touratech risers didn't fit :( the distance between the top and bottom mounting bolts is just a little bigger on the zr than it is on the risers. i'm sure i could have monkeyed with them, drill a bit here and there but i'm just going to return them.

Aw, man. I was hoping you'd found a good inexpensive alternative to the Gen-Mars. Thanks for checking them out, anyway.

·
Registered
97 Posts
bar risers/sleeping hands

Are these the risers that fit the "7" ?
GenMarMfg.
Universal Risers
7/8" bar style 1"-up & 1 3/8" back

I have trouble with hands falling asleep after 30 or 40 miles,2 much wieght forward riding position I think?
Anyone care to comment on the lowwered seat as pertains to this.I am 46 5"11' 180 lbs:z

·
Registered
97 Posts
PS

anyone have experience with foam or neoprene grip cushions?Do the help [the & grips seem narrow[dia] to me? This forum ROCKS:eek:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
not sure if the gen-mar's fit. they may but talk to gen-mar before you order. as for foam grips, i never liked them. my hands tend to get fatigued from squeezing them. i actually find firner grips more comfortable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts