RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya,

I've created this topic to share my mods and work in progress on my ZR-7 2000.
On the one hand I'm proud of the changes I've made and like to hear your opinions, on the other hand: maybe these mods will inspire you guys as well.

To start: I've bought this motorbike a half a year ago. It's my 6th motorbike and my first non-suzuki.
This ZR-7 had 26.000km on it and was imported from Italy. The Italian owner did not care about TLC nor sun protection...so there was a lot of work to be done.

:woot:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To start with the beginning: This is at the dealer when I bought the ZR-7.

It had a Givi windscreen, but broken at the corners. Also notice the exhaust headers..not shiny at all. It has mini indocators, but 2 of them were broken off.

At home, I first removed the flyscreen to go full naked.
I bought new grips becouse the old Harries-grips were a bit disgusting looking + 2 new indicators of the same type. Both were found at a local motorstore and I got away with paying only €15.- for all.

I had a pair of these bar-end weights waiting..removed them from my previous motorbike before selling it. They were €20.- and look pretty nice!

Also stuck a small new digital clock to the brake-fluid recevoir. Not an easy place to read it, but haven't found a better location yet.

Time for some pictures of the bike:

Notice the small carbon mirrors. They were no good at al, shaking so much that I would still have to twist my neck to see something behind me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Next...it was time to make it shine! I really like to polish my bikes, so I didn't mind doing this.

Before: a brown oilcooler and brown headers

After: one side done, looks a lot better! (note: the headers only were this silver-chrome color for a short while. They turned gold-ish after a few miles).

Up to the next step: those annoying little mirrors. I did not want the large original mirrors. I know they would probably give the best view, but I hope to combine view with smooth looks. These mirrors were ordered: Shin Yo Agila, they were €27.- each so €54 for both. They are flat black aluminium.

Okay..great..stock photograph...but how do they look in real life?

Pretty nice in my opinion. The bar en weights and the new grips are also good visible on these pictures. The mirrors are too small to be road legal in Holland...but the view is great! They hardly shake and are easy to adjust.

A friend of mine took a very nice picture of the current state of my ZR-7:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next up: more polishing!

The handlebar clamps (don't know how you want to call those things?) were not exactly pretty looking.

This looks a bit better :laugh: Also note the new handlebar: it's a Lucas streetbar in dull black aluminium. Bought it at the local shop for €45.-

I love the looks of a big black streetbar commbined with the round clocks and small mirrors. Must say that I would have picked a handlebar with a more extreme angle (staigth) if I could trade this. The driving position is still pretty much the same.

For the people paying attention: yes..that is a different digital clock...I found another one...lol

Then I polished the left and right heelplate and the pilion-footrest-mountings (no idea how to call those things).

I was happy with the result of the heelplates, but those pilion things just had to change..the polished look just didn't do it for me.

Another picture of the headers..and allready turning to gold. Also notice that the engine cooling fins have some white oxidation on them..I will change this later on

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
As I said: I wasn't happy with the polished pilion footrest thingy's...
Okay they were a LOT worse before I started:

I dicided to spray them to the same colour as the frame. Well this is pretty hard! Bought multiple cans of Motip and Duplicolor to find a colour that matched. But the result was pityfull..the colour dried up to a blue-ish grey:

Back to the drawingboard...and picked a semi gloss black for a second attempt:

Much better, this colour is staying!

Next up was a delivery from a German shop called Louis.de..my new exhaust can...aluminium by Bos. Got it for only €220.- and it looks great. Must admit that I personally prefer carbon over aluminium..but that would have doubled the price - no thanks.

The red 'Bos' badge is staying on, the red &black colour perfectly fits in my future plans.
By the way...these last three photo's were taken by a friend..and he really knows what he's doing! Gonna ask him for another photoshoot when I've changed more things!

Also used some rimstriping, in a dark red colour. Had to make a tough decision: buy the rimstriping in Holland for €20.- and pick one of 8 colours...or Ebay for €5.0 and pick from 68 different colours..lol. I think you can guess what choice I made.

And finally I bought a brand new Puig Naked flyscreen...was on sale for only €20.- so coulnd't resist.

This is how it originally looks like. But I think it's too 'high' up, so I used a saw and a lot of patience..and removed the top part- sanded it - used a smoke screen-trim to finish it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Am I done yet? Not really..

The Italian flag sticker as seen on the tank bothered me. Okay it's an Italian import, but no Italian origin. Let's remove it:

Ow sh#t...that's why there was a sticker! Well..time to order some new stickers from Ebay. Also notice the 'Kawasaki' decal on the tank. The bike has seen a lot of sun, and burned away the clear coat on top of the decal. The decal is yellow, bubbly and plain ugly.

Ordered these from a German online shop:

As you might notice..they are not really 100% correct immitations. The tank decals aren't curved..but hey I can use them anyway.

Then had to do a lot of work to get the old decals cleaned. First started without a blowdryer becouse I don't have a power supply in my garage. It took me 30 to 45 minutes for each letter...

I was happy to see that the tank underneath the decals was in good condition.

After a few hours I was getting tired of this..so I moved the bike to a friends' house..and could finally use a blowdryer to speed it up:

You can also see the new tank-sticker that replaces the Italian flag.

I still have to make pictures to show the total bike, including the new red decals.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And another small side project, done this before the previous post:

I would love to have Pazzo's or similar racing levers...but with a retailprice of €90.- each..it's just too much for now. I decided to spice up my original levers.

So I polished them, painted the mounting part gold, sanded & grinded the ball-shape at the end away and drilled a hole trough it. Now they look a bit like Pazzo's..lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And finally my last post for now: things that I've ordered or yet have to mount/fix:

1: a bellypan/bugspoiler..bought on Ebay for only €19.-. Cheap but still needs some work, it's not paint-ready and has no mounting whatsoever. That's also the reason why this bugspoiler is still in the garage..didn't have/make time for the mountings.

2. a new seatcover. My seat is original, but torn in 4 places. One of the torn parts really looks awefull

I've ordered a new seatcover from Ebay..only €35.- and it looks very nice.

Same story for this: didn't make/have time to change this. Also need an electric/pneumatic tacker for this.

3. a Tankshield. The Italian owner didn't use a tankpad, so that area has major scratches. I covered most of them with a new carbon look tankpad, but not all. I found out there are even bigger tank-protectors out there..so I bought one, hoping this would cover all the scratches AND look nice

Was €15.- from Ebay. Would have been over €35.- if I ordered this in Holland...

4. yet another flyscreen! Yes my current Puig screen is nice, but I ordered a black/dark smoke version..and recieved a very very light smoke one. Too much work to send it back..so I bought this one from a Yamaha Bulldog 1100:

I hope it fits, it is ment for a headlight-size of 21cm..but who knows.

·
Registered
324 Posts
thats a nice looking bike man very shiney
wat did u use to polish the headers and oil cooler etc?

·
Super Moderator
3,329 Posts
Awesome job....

Black Kiwi.... You have done a very good job making your new (to you) ZR look and feel loved.

I think you have more patience than I do... I don't think I could have taken the time to restore the headers to such a good condition. By the way... what did you use to clean them so well?

Also, what did you do for the Tank Decal removal?? Looks like a bit of work... but the result was certainly worth it. :alcy:

I hope you find time to ride as well. Seems you've put much time into getting it looking right... now, go rack up a thousand kilometers or so this weekend.

Thanks for sharing you efforts. I believe they were well worth the time! :bud:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Black Kiwi.... You have done a very good job making your new (to you) ZR look and feel loved.

I think you have more patience than I do... I don't think I could have taken the time to restore the headers to such a good condition. By the way... what did you use to clean them so well?

Also, what did you do for the Tank Decal removal?? Looks like a bit of work... but the result was certainly worth it. :alcy:

I hope you find time to ride as well. Seems you've put much time into getting it looking right... now, go rack up a thousand kilometers or so this weekend.

Thanks for sharing you efforts. I believe they were well worth the time! :bud:

+ 1 from me too.

Beautiful!!! and I thought I was OCD when I had my ZR-7S. :alcy:

Regards,

Gerry

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all!

*The headers polishing was just a lot of time..not much more to it.
I start with a 14v cordless screwdriller with a sanding-brush. This removes a lot..but isn't usable in small corners. I use various grit of sanding paper, mostly starting with 100 - 200 - 400 - 600 - 1000 grit to remove all the scratches caused by the screwdriller part. As a final touch, I have a polish-brush for my screwdriller + polish paste.

*The tank decals removing allmost took as much time as all the other mods together. I knew that I would damage the original paint coat if I would use a metal object..so I searched for a plastic object, soft so it would be bendable and wouldn't leave marks..but also strong, so it would actually work: an old creditcard!
Well actually I used my Ikea member card :)
The 2000watt blowdryer will heat the glue behind the decall so small pieces could be pushed or peeled by the creditcard. Takes a lot of time and all my fingers have small burn marks on them now. As a Dutch saying says: you gotta suffer if you want to be pretty.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And today 2 items arrived!

The Yamaha Bulldog 1100 flyscreen:

To the left with the Yamaha - to the right without (getting better :))

Allready tried to fit this, and allthough the screen has the perfect size for a ZR-7 headlight..the original metal holder/socket doesn't fit on the ZR..not even after 2 hours of bending and trying. Think I'll have to make new ones.

And the second object:

The new tankshield by Pyramid Plastics.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The previous owner of my Z was a lot like you, and I've benefited from that! I salute your patience, especially on the decals with the burned finger tips! been there, Done that. :)

Zaphod

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
what did you use to polish the bike that much!? That's clean!!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@ vinhtvu2: I've tried all kinds of polishing methods and items..and some speed it up a bit..but main ingredient stays: time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And some pictures as promised.

The Pyramid tank shield arrived..and I was pretty contend with it. It looks nice and is very solid/strong. Placement on the bike only takes a few minutes.

And no..I don't like it! Going to buy a new normal carbon tankpad and lose this tankshield. It's doing everything it has to do..but it looks like true uglyness.
Comments I recieved from bike-friends 'wow thats...BIG' and 'that looks like it's hiding a lot of scratches' (Last remark might be true - but I don't want it to look like it's hiding something).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Next up: the new flyscreen. Tried to fit it with the original metal attachments..but they were no good. I bought some thin aluminium plating and sawed 2 new ones, staying very close to the original design. It was an easy fit now - but as you can see on the picture OLD - it stands up allmost vertically..and there is a lot of space between headlight and flyscreen.

So I went back in..and made a second set, but this time with some improvements. Well the improvements payed off: you can see at NEW that the screen is more curved in the line of the bike, and fit with the headlight is perfect.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And some other pics, like the view from on the bike

And some nice pictures I'd mostly show to friends, to convince them that my time spend working on the bike does pay off.

And finally - I went to a motor-meeting in Holland today, held by a motor online forum. Normally this event gathers 1000 to 2000 motorbikes at one mcdonalds..but today it was rainy and they didn't want to postpone the meeting. So there were max 500 bikes..but still fun.

(and yes..my helmet is a bit colourfull. First had an all black Kiwi K600 helmet with a black screen..but I really love the bright colours on this new X-Lite X801 RR)

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Black Kiwi,

Congratulations on your amazing clean-up! You have just demonstrated that careful attention and some labour can do miracles.
I have found that S100 engine brightener does a good job at removing the white oxidation on the cylinder fins.
Keep us informed of your progress,

Regards from Canada

1 - 20 of 31 Posts