RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what brand do you guys/gals rely on? most of my stuff is cheapie hand-me-downs. i don't think i've purchased $500 worth of tools in my entire life. LOL.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Kobalt and Craftsman are made in the same place now (USA and China). Sadly, the lower end tools are made in America and the high-end in China.

I bought a 100+ piece socket set from Lowes and the action on the ratchets are horrible. I then bought the premium Kobalt 3/4" and sure enough, China.

I just need to find a Torx set that isn't made from **** metal. I'm tired of stripping out those ****ing piece-o-crap Torx screws. Whoever invented them should be set on fire.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Snap-On is good stuff, and their customer service is awesome. M'boy had a Snap-On ratchet he had since he was a teen... rather some decades ago. It started to not ratchet correctly recently, and they gave him a new one under warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I mainly use Snap-On at work but at home its Craftsman all they way. Mainly because I'm too lazy to bring my "good" tools home. lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
snap on and craftsman make good tools. Biggest thing is the warranty, and convenience of using said warranty.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Craftsman. I recommended high quality tools (Craftsman, Snap-On, MAC, etc.) to someone on a board some time ago and the poster said "I'm not rich" to which someone else replied "Only rich people can afford to buy cheap tools." That was a very good point.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wrench a lot, but not enough to justify the price difference between craftsman and snap-on. I guess it all depends on what tools we're talking about though, generally the more moving parts a tool has the more i'm willing to pay for it. I have some cheap autozone wrenches that a b got about the same time as a craftsman set, 2 years later i can't tell much of a difference... And of course it's always nice to have two of every size.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Like you know about Snap On or Craftsman.
Leatherman on the other hand :killingme
Zing! Got me there... :notworthy

Wait... is that my Leatherman? Putting a new front brake rotor on your van at the Autozone parking lot in West Nowhere, GA.? Must be photoshopped... :p

·
Registered
699 Posts
Considering I only started buying tools 18mths ago, I now have a fairly well stocked tool box. Only thing I am really missing is a decent set of spanners. Screwdrivers from Stanley, Sockets by Stanley and Powerbuilt. Everything else is just a mixture. Not the best quality, but it does the job for me. I have very limited mechanical knowledge, so I keep the collection basic so as not to confuse myself!!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm with steveinsandiego, mostly hand me downs. Only tool set I bought new was a set of PenCraft (JCPenny brand) over 35 years ago for about $100.00 and except for a couple of broken sockets, they are still going strong!

·
Registered
293 Posts
my tool box for wrenching stuff in the garage is mostly Craftsman, most of it is over 20 years old. Only used the warranty 2 times that I can remember on a ratchet.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts