RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well about a month ago I drained all the oil from sitting over winter, and then put in new Motul synthetic. After a few rides it was really low (forgot that the level drops once cycled through the engine), so I put more in. And I put just a tad too much, I think. When sitting cold or when I just start it up, the level sits right below the top line on the oil glass guage but after riding it's completely filled to the top. Is this too much (I feel like the strokes are longer and that in lower gears its harder for the bike to rev)? If so, has anyone here tried to siphon oil out? My friend said he heard of someone using a "siphon gun" but I have never heard of such a thing?

Thanks guys
2Wheels2Fast

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Just loosen your drain bolt enough for it to leak out around it but still keep it in the threads so you don't dump too much... Might take a bit longer than a siphon gun but this way is $free.99.

·
Registered
291 Posts
When the bike is running and hot, you'll always see the sight gauge completely filled, because the oil expands in volume with the heat from the engine, and it's also under pressure. It's normal. But, if you still need to satisfy that urge to do something about it, BigSexyZ's method will work just fine.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I thought, I just couldn't remember how filled the guage was back when I had an adequate amount of oil in it. As for draining the oil through the drain bolt, have any of you actually tried this? I didn't think any oil would come out until the whole bolt was out but I guess it's worth a try.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
It will work...If it didn't leak out I wouldn't get oil on my hands. Once you break it loose, just turn it slowly by hand and it'll start coming out.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
It will work...If it didn't leak out I wouldn't get oil on my hands. Once you break it loose, just turn it slowly by hand and it'll start coming out.
+1. Usually goes down my sleeve....

·
Registered
463 Posts
With the engine off and the bike upright vertical, the oil level should be between the lines on the sight glass. That sounds like what you've got and your oil level is fine. (???) Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With the engine off and the bike upright vertical, the oil level should be between the lines on the sight glass. That sounds like what you've got and your oil level is fine. (???) Or am I missing something?
Well mine is between the lines but right under the top of the line. It might be "fine" by the guages standards but I can feel a difference in the stroke of my engine so I wanted to drain it.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I dunno about a motorcycle, since you lean over, but on a car you can reduce oil volume until oil pressure is comprimised to reduce windage on the crank. It has been shown to give big block motors that rev real high a significant power improvement. I would be real careful on a bike though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I overfilled mine once too. I went to the closest farm store, we have three in Omaha, and bought a 2 oz plastic disposable syringe and a piece of tubing and siphoned what I wanted out. No mess..............****

1 - 11 of 11 Posts