RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Five friends gathered over dinner at my place last night for a poker game and we got talking about locking throttle on our motorcycle. Questions we asked:

Why would you throttle lock? Why wouldn't you throttle lock? Go cheap or go expensive on the throttle lock?

I decided last night that throttle locking my motorcyle "may" help with my wrist fatigue but may also cause me to losing control of the motorcycle should a split second event occurred...ie distraction, problems on the road, etc.

Verdict: I'm against it but am going to try something more in between having no throttle lock and having one. Going to try the palm rocker (crampbuster) unit.

To throttle lock or not to throttle lock....that is the question. Please share your reason(s) for or against it.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I'd personally would not; control is everything imo. If your wrist fatigues quickly maybe find a better suited bars/riding position.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I ride motorcycles for my primary source of transportation. Last year I drove about 4K miles in cars (1600 of which was on one trip), and rode...mmmm, haven't added it up, but aprox. 11-12K. I have a Throttlemeister (bar end type lock) on one bike, and that is my 650R, the motorcycle I ride for most trips over 100 miles.

I have tried the various "Throttle Rocker" type cheap-o things, and I do NOT like them. I have had them catch on my jacket sleeve while wearing short gloves, without harm, but it did make it momentarily difficult to roll off throttle. Luckily, it was not the wrong moment, and I do feel it could possibly cause an accident if one were very unlucky. The exception to the "strap ons", is a small rubber one that looks like a cam lobe. It allows one to take off some wrist pressure, but is too short and rounded to catch your gear. I think it is Kubisyn (or something like that). I keep a couple of those in tank bags for a couple of my bikes. I would NEVER use the paddle type in traffic, the rubber cam lobe I wouldn't fear like the paddles, but it makes the grip feel funny and that bugs me.

The Throttlemeister was a bit over $100. It works well, although it takes a while to develop your technique for rolling the bar end backwards while holding the throttle in place. With your hand on the throttle, if you need to slow/stop, rolling the throttle forward instantly disengages the lock, and the throttle then operates normally. I like the Throttlemeister, but only on flat, straight highways. Curves are a no-go for obvious reasons, but elevation change is also a limitation, as you will drop/gain speed with each hill. The upside of this in mildly rolling terrain is that you keep occupied making very small adjustments, which I find keeps me more engages than an aching shoulder, which is where I feel it with no throttle lock on rides over 300 miles or so.

The best cruise control I have ever used is that on BMW R1200RTs, but that is an electronic CRUISE CONTROL, not a lock. It holds speed perfectly. A throttle lock will never do that, unless you are in Kansas.

I also like the thumb engaged lock, can't think of the name at the moment. I seem to recall I didn't get one because it required cutting my grip, but I may be wrong. It works much like the throttlemeister, but engages differently.

If you ride IBA or just long highway trips, the locks can be very helpful. It might not seem like it would, but that little throttle return spring gets pretty tiring after 10 hours or so. Other than the soft rubber strap mentioned above, I would stay away from the paddle style. In fact, I threw mine away a year or so ago when I found them in a drawer.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I also like the thumb engaged lock, can't think of the name at the moment. I seem to recall I didn't get one because it required cutting my grip, but I may be wrong. It works much like the throttlemeister, but engages differently.

That is probably the Vista Cruise. I have had one on several motorcycles and I could not ride over 100 miles without one. It is perfectly safe if used for short periods of time to give your wrist and hand a rest. It is not really a "lock", and you can turn the throttle off, it just does not return by itself.....you have to roll it off, just like you have to roll it on.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I tried the Crampbuster once on a highway cruise.

Took a while to get used to it.
Found I could slide it down to where half of it would go over the bar end and it would work as a throttle lock. Would only do that on an open freeway, not somewhere with lots of traffic.
I'd have to pull it up to decelerate, but I felt it helped a lot with the buzzing feeling I used to get in my hands.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have a Kaoko throttle lock (purchased at Twisted Throttle). I got it to alleviate arm and wrist fatigue and soreness on one of my regular rides to a group "rally" that involves about two hours of straight, primarily flat, Interstate riding, often with little traffic. I haven't tried it out there yet, bu tI have been using it regularly for my 50 mile (one-way) trips to work and back. I find it very helpful. IMO, if used correctly, there is no compromise to safety. You can close the throttle at any time. Like cruise control on a car, it isn't to be used in heavier traffic.

Reasons not to get one? 1. You don't have rides that involve conditions where it would be needed or appropriate to use. 2. Cost.

I also have a Crampbuster, having used one for years, and still using it with the throttle lock. The throttle lock is a definite plus, helping much more than the Crampbuster.

I bought the Kaoko over the Throttlemeister due to the knurled ring used to set the lock. I figured it would be easier to manipulate such a ring with gloves on. Never tried the Throttlemeister, so can't comment on that. I really like the Kaoko, though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What about the old $0.50 cent O-Ring solution? A correctly sized O-Ring will fit between the bar-end and the thottle grip and provide enough friction to hold the bike at a constant RPM yet be easy enough to roll off the throttle if neccesary

There is a little groove on the outside edge of my grips that is perfect for holding an O-Ring when not in use

I did this on my Sprint ST (which has the groove on the bar-end) and it worked great for long rides. It was a Catapillar Tractor O-Ring for the ST.

I haven't sourced the right size yet for the 650R, but I've been thinking about it lately.

PS. Buy 2 so you can balance the other side.

--Joel

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
When I lived in FLAT Florida and the speed limits were 55 on the interstate, I used a cheap throttle lock to help me maintain constant speed, and give my fingers a break once and a while. Throttle locks worked good in FL becuase the only time you lost some speed was the overpasses.

Wouldn't recommend using it in traffic though.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Wondering if this would work?

1. Someone should buy this: VISTA CRUISE Universal Zytel Cruise Control Kit

2. Make a video of installing it on their Ninja 650r (think sports bars 2.0 are 7/8"?)

3. Ride 500 miles in one day with it on. (turning it off at the appropriate times of coarse)

4. Then messaging back on here and letting me know if your still alive. If you die, please don't message me.

Your reward:

I will thank you by typing the letters:

"T" "H" "A" "N" "K" "Y" "O" and "U"

and if a lot of people go out and do this. I will even add on the word "Everyone!"

Yes, even the "!"

If you do this quickly. I will add on a few more "!"

·
Registered
111 Posts
you can use the vista cruise on these bikes I had one on my bike get the one for 7/8 bars for about 30 dollars at a local bike shop. move your brake lever/master cylinder over and install according to the directions. you don't have to cut the grip either. works really well. I don't have any pics of it and cant take any cause I don't have the bike any more.

·
Registered
160 Posts
isn't there only premade holes on the bars for the brake lever and master cylinder? not allowing you to move them over? or am i wrong?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts