RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm bored and began thinking if it's difficult for left-handed people to ride a motorcycle. I'm a rightie and never thought about it till today. I think if I tried to control the throttle with my left hand, I'd be in a heap of trouble real quick.

So, you left-handed types, did you find it hard to adjust to right-handed throttle control?

(I realize us righties control the clutch, turn signals, etc with our left hands, but it's not the same difficulty I suspect).

Emrah

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
My wife and my 6 yr. old are both left handed and they don't have any problems riding. I did kinda screw up my wife for a while because my ATC185 had front and rear brake levers on the bars and I removed the rear brake lever from the bars because it also has a foot brake lever. After she got over that, she's fine. The main reason I did all that is so when she did start riding a 2 wheeler, the levers would be in the correct configuration and all she had to get use to is the clutch being on the left. It paid off because a few weeks ago she rode my neighbors' XR-80 and she did just fine (except for the fact that the bike was too small for her and she forgot to pull in the clutch when she stopped the first couple of times). But I'm thinking on getting her an XR100 or a Yamaha TT-R 125 to ride in the dirt because the seat heights are just about perfect for her and they still have plenty of power for even me to play around on.

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
Aussie GP champ Wayne Gardner is left handed. He always claimed it helped coz he could hang onto the bars better with his non-throttle hand.

:)

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm a lefty...

I guess I don't even notice it cause I learned to ride a bike that way, just like a manual clutch in the cage, or driving on the right side of the road, it is the way you learned so you notice no difference.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm a leftie and I was just thinking the other day how hard it must be for right handed folks to ride a motorcycle. When learning to ride for the first time, the most difficult task is shifting. All the shifting controls are on the left side of the bike.

In addition, all the cool controls (gas switch, idle adjust) are on the left side of the bike
Left handed folks are able to use both sides of their brain better than right handed folks. This is an adaptation caused by the lefties being forced to live in a right handed world. As motorcyclists use both sides of their body, lefties are at an advantage.

Plus we can do things that require finesse while riding such as lighting a cigar one-handed or throwing beer bottles at roadsigns;)

While there are definitely challenges for lefties, motorcycling is not one of them.

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
I'm right handed.

The other day when I was riding home, my hand needed a little warming up. So in order to warm my right hand, I would use my left hand to control the throttle.

Andy

·
Registered
499 Posts
left handed

Most old cop-cycles had left handed throttles. This, so the story goes, was so the right hand could fire the revolver while riding. Like they were gonna hit anything anyway!

PS Most pedal steel guitars are set up right handed unless the lefty buying it has more money than talent. The lefty players say it makes no difference to them that their guitars are "right handers". The high price for these guitars probably has something to do with very few left handed, (expensive!) models being built/sold.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i think so too

i think i agree with everyone else whos lefthanded we have to adapt to a righthanded world (my mom was forced to learn to do everything right handed) but now we both ride and we have not had any problems i actually think it makes us better because since we use both sides of our brain. think about this!
IF THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE BRAIN CONTROLES THE LEFT SIDE OF THE BODY THEN THE LEFT HANDED PEOPLE ARE THE ONLY ONES IN THERE RIGHT MIND! what do you think of that?

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
Just think about a right handed person playing a guitar. The left hand has to go thru cramps, and sore fingertips before it is comfortable enough to sound like anything. I personally am right handed with left handed tendencies............master left eye.:cool:
Hell I can drink and throw bottles with either hand:laugh: :laugh:

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
............and I live in the country so my mailbox(or boxes, I think I'm on number 7 in 16 yrs) can attest to a bunch of right handed beer bottle throwing sob's that ride my roads..........:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
fade said:
Just think about a right handed person playing a guitar. The left hand has to go thru cramps, and sore fingertips before it is comfortable enough to sound like anything. I personally am right handed with left handed tendencies............master left eye.:cool:
Hell I can drink and throw bottles with either hand:laugh: :laugh:
We must be somehow related Fade!! Tom ;)

·
3,610 Posts
I'm right handed..... I think that the left / right hand thing is starting to be less and less of an issue thanks to the invention of the keyboard. People are using they're "other" hand more frequently now.

·
Registered
499 Posts
southpaw

Fade,

Your righthandedness combined with a stronger left eye is a perfect description of my older brother.

He boxes left handed, pitches right handed, fires rifles, shotguns etc left handed, writes and eats right handed etc. Us old folks used to call a person with those tendencies "southpaws". However he is not ambidexterous (?) since he can't perform these tasks when he switches hands.

I wonder if someone with reverse left/right traits would be considered a "northpaw"?

Later

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
I'm not ambidextrous either unless you want to count the beer bottle throw........ But like your bro I too shoot off the left shoulder and have a lefthanded bow but pitch and write righthanded. I once had a 22 rifle that ejected ths casings from the bottom all the other rifles I've shot either spit the shells in my face or had the bolt on the wrong side.
I once had my right hand and wrist in a cast and had to function as a lefty.........................the only trouble I had was when it came to using toliet paper................never had to do the lefthanded wipe................that was strange:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, this discussion is revealing MUCH more information than I really wanted to know! :eek:

But anyway, if I can "two-fist" and drink a beer with each hand, does that mean I'm ambidextrous as well?

Emrah

·
Registered
197 Posts
i am primarily left handed, but quite ambidextrous (sp?)
i found that the lefthandedness had no real impact to learning to ride.. BUT my 5 prior years of mountain biking did (front brake on left, rear brake on right). i had to really think about what was what on the motorcycle for the first few rides. i found myself practicing the controls before i even started the bike just to make sure i was thinking straight :)
i think that i can actually modulate the clutch better on the left than i would if it were on the right....

josh

·
Wants to be "Fade"....
2,600 Posts
Queuie...........never thought about that one but your right . I still do a lot of biking when weather permits and my road bike has the brakes levers on the bars also. I guess this answers my question why sometimes I pull the clutch lever in while braking ................that is before I start downshifting.
Emrah............
But anyway, if I can "two-fist" and drink a beer with each hand, does that mean I'm ambidextrous as well?
No this means you can come to my house anytjme you want and 2 fist some brews...................then maybe we'll test your skills at some road signs:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
queuie, fade, i hear you :) i get confused a bit when i switch back to my mountain bike for a spin. is it just me or do you guys try to activate non-existent turn signals and look in mirrors that aren't there on the first few turns of a ride?

scott :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cluching the Mountian Bike

I can't disagree with you at all. It takes me a little time to re-adjust to my mountain bike, as an example last summer I was riding with some buddies and flying down the first hill I squeezed easy on the right lever and pulled the left in as fast as I could resulting in me flying over the handle bars. Ouch that’s all I have to say.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts