RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick question for you guys. I live in a climate that we can see -20 Celsius temperatures in the winter. I store my bike in my garage that is not heated, but I always lift it off the tires.

I was told today by a tire dealer that having your tires stored in those temperatures can cause the rubber to become brittle and more susceptible to cracking.

I always was under the impression that as long as there was no weight on the tires then it didn't matter.

So what is the truth?

Should I remove the tires and rims from the bike and store them in the basement when I put the bike away for the winter?

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Did you ask him if the regional warehouse is climate controlled?

I know that sun is rubbers worst enemy. Not sure about cold since we don't see much of it.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you ask him if the regional warehouse is climate controlled?

I know that sun is rubbers worst enemy. Not sure about cold since we don't see much of it.

No I never asked him.. never occurred to me

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
The other consideration is how many years do you have a set of tires before you swap them out due to mileage. It may be an issue if you wanted to keep tires on a low mileage vehicles for over a decade but we're only talking about 1-3 years maybe? You could always ask the tire manufacturer to be on the safe side but I think its a bit of an overreaction based upon a motorcycle tires lifespan.

·
Registered
250 Posts
A quick question for you guys. I live in a climate that we can see -20 Celsius temperatures in the winter. I store my bike in my garage that is not heated, but I always lift it off the tires.

I was told today by a tire dealer that having your tires stored in those temperatures can cause the rubber to become brittle and more susceptible to cracking.

I always was under the impression that as long as there was no weight on the tires then it didn't matter.

So what is the truth?

Should I remove the tires and rims from the bike and store them in the basement when I put the bike away for the winter?
You'll be fine as long as the tires are off the ground. I had a bike a while ago that didn't have a center stand and I put a few pieces of cardboard under the tires. Did the trick but as long as the tires are off the ground or something under them.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You'll be fine as long as the tires are off the ground. I had a bike a while ago that didn't have a center stand and I put a few pieces of cardboard under the tires. Did the trick but as long as the tires are off the ground or something under them.

That is what I thought too.. I have a motorcycle jack that I will put it on so the wheels will be completely off the ground....

I am taking the rims and wheels off to get the tires changed when I pull it off the road for the winter, just wanted to know whether I should reinstall them when the tires are changed or wait till spring

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
That is what I thought too.. I have a motorcycle jack that I will put it on so the wheels will be completely off the ground....

I am taking the rims and wheels off to get the tires changed when I pull it off the road for the winter, just wanted to know whether I should reinstall them when the tires are changed or wait till spring
if your taking them off anyways,,might as well leave them off if it makes you feel better...worry about it next winter..

·
Registered
10,328 Posts

Just do what my uncle did. Park the bike inside. Then you can do all your winter projects on it in the comfort of your home. Of course my uncle did go through a few wives.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've never had an issue, and all I've ever done was make sure they're inflated properly and park it in the non-heated garage. I still do all the normal storage procedures, but never paid any mind to the tires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts