RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since this forums search function absolutely sucks, I am starting a new thread, if you need to post or ask anything about replacing a tire or whether or not to replace a tire, how to questions, whatever, please feel free to use my thread.

Tags: Tires, Replace a tire, tire wear, tire question, 650 tire

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am down to the center wear bar but still have a little ways to go on the outside wear bar, do I need to replace it now or do I have some time left?
It still rides okay, it doesn't cause me a panic, I just want to be safe as possible. Not to be smart, but I didn't put miles on it because I was under the impression that tire wear was more important than how many miles are on the tire. If you really need to know how many miles are on it let me know and I'll post it.

I could really use the help since this is my first set of tires.
Thanks-

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
On the RS2s I chsnged at 8500 miles I think. Around 8k I hit the wear bars in the center but even 500 miles later I was still on the same tire. Unless you are really riding on the edge of the tire all the time then you won't ever really wear the tire out evenly. You ride mainly on the center part of your tires so yeah I would swap them out if you are at the last few hundred miles on the bike. I have seen bikes down to the cords in some internet pics lol. Everyone I know recommends q3s or at least says they are a good tire. I have only heard one person say something negative about them but he never gave feedback on why he wasn't impressed with them.

My friends on supersport bikes were claiming 3000-3500 on their Q3s while I put 4500 miles on my rear and it was just getting to the wear bar.

The q3 is a good tire. My zx6r had the older q2 and it seems t wears faster. Then again it might just be because ts on a different bike.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yeah, I got so involved in ranting and tagging I forgot I took pictures. Lol

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Didn't you mention already wanting the Pirellis? With those you can't really go wrong. You might get less miles on them than the q3s.
I amuse you can get a few hundred more miles out of your tires

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yikes - my 2-cent is go get some new rubber - you sucked the life out of that rear tire. I was looking at replacing my stock tires on the 2012 with the P Angels (lots of deals on the web) - but ended up selling her this week.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Maybe it's the roads here, or I'm ridin her hard idk, I only have 5,500 miles on that set. I was thinking they were done. Yeah I want the Perellis, I know the milage will be down but I'm good with that....I think. Lol

Edit: maybe its because I have my suspension set up pretty firm and I'm back to nearly 245 lbs, idk.

·
Registered
347 Posts

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was tryingbto stay away from those since I heard they had been discontinued for a couple of years, which adds even more tine if they were produced q couple of years before that. However, that is a really great price andcthey were a great tire from what I have read.
Ima look at some Perellis first, but week see.

·
Registered
699 Posts
This was my rear tyre before changing them last year. These are Pirelli Angels ST's with about 10,000kms on them.
I changed them out for Pirelli Angels GT's, and I love them. I have about 5,000kms on them now, and I will take a photo tonight for you when I finish work to show you a reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
You can get the Q3s for less after the $50 rebate.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It looks like tire balding from burnouts or wheelies? Do you stunt? Or just ride in straight lines?
I don't do burnouts or wheelies, seems immature to me, each to his own I guess, not saying I've never gotten the front tire off the ground, just not showing out.
I do take off fast sometimes but not real often.

Some of the roads here are chatty, which is just rough asphalt, but who knows what the real reason is.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This was my rear tyre before changing them last year. These are Pirelli Angels ST's with about 10,000kms on them.
I changed them out for Pirelli Angels GT's, and I love them. I have about 5,000kms on them now, and I will take a photo tonight for you when I finish work to show you a reference.
Thanks for posting that! Do they have wear bars/indicators

·
Registered
699 Posts
Thanks for posting that! Do they have wear bars/indicators
I'll check for you tonight. I'm not far away from leaving work, so check back in a couple of hours or so.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Ok, here are the shots of my newer GT's. These have about 5,000kmson them
20150417_170027 [1600x1200].jpg

20150417_170036 [1600x1200].jpg

I initially didn't think there were any depth indicators, but I found them on the other side of the tyre.
20150417_170053 [1600x1200].jpg

·
Registered
105 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pardon my ignorance. I don't visit the forum very often. Firstly, replace the tires as soon as you can. I experimented to see how many more miles I can get before going from your current state to showing belt. I was only using it to commute, meaning mostly riding straight. That's besides the point... Lol.

If you're asking for advice on what you should get next, it depends on what type of riding you're planning on doing most. I ride mainly to commute with a few weekends here and there doing canyon riding. What worked best for me are the dual compound tires like the Michelin pilot road 2 and Bridgestone Battlax bt-023. The center portion of the tire is harder so will have longer wear. I was able to get 11000 miles on the rear of the bt-023 riding a z1000. I ride fairly spirited and am not afraid to lean and have not had any issues with traction in wet or dry conditions.

I've heard nothing but good things about the q3s but I also like longevity. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
7 Posts
One more thing. Tire wear will also depend on tire inflation. I maintain mine at factory recommendations 36/42. I have friends who prefer lower pressures which tends to increase tire wear.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts