RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

Tire leak.

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Ozninjaguy 
#1 ·
Has anybody repaired a flat rear tire? Is it just like a regular automotive plug? Does that slime sealing system actually work? Do I have to get a new tire?

Help!

#2 ·
If you're not sure, take it in and get it patched professionally. Many patch their own tires and yes just the same plugs used for auto tires. It really is considered temporary until you can get it professionally patched. With that said, many use the temporary patch for the life of the tire. Yes, the slime/fix-a-flat stuff can work but it can fail eventually.

Lots of youtube videos on plugging motorcycle tires. Just watch a few and give it a try. Worse case scenario you still have to take it in.

#4 · (Edited)
The 'slime sealing' is only temporary - enough to get you home. I have had a lot of tyres plugged and patched - never had one fail on me. Currently running a patched (no plug) tyre on the 650 - no problems so far...and as Vic said: get it patched/plugged professionally....and as Gantt said - the decision to patch/plug depends on the life/cost of the tyre...if it's towards the end of its life (down to the wear bars)...I would replace it. I patched my 650 rear tyre coz it had only 2K on it....if it was close to being worn out....i would have replaced it...regardless of whether there was another 1K life left.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.