RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When a tire gets balanced, it seems there are two [2] options.
1-is the dynamic where you take it to a shop who spins it up and applies the weights as the machine says so.
2-is the static where you buy the kit and do it yourself at home. Bascially the heavy area drops to the bottom and you balance it until there is no heavy spot.

I don't think there is any other way.

So what first hand experience have you had with these methods?
I had mine balanced by it looked like the machine had a slight bend of the shaft that you mount the tire on.

Thanks !!!

tuts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Your definitions are basically correct--static balance only accounts for weight, and dynamic balance accommodates forces of motion (speed and mass).

Tire balance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've done some of my own tire mounting, and doing static balancing using rudimentary tools I've had no problems to extra-legal speeds. Motorcycle tires are narrow and centered enough that you don't need explicit left/right weighting like you sometimes do with car tires.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
There is a slightly different way. They have a machine that has an arm that rolls along the outside of the tire while it is spinning. It takes into account the roundness of the tire and also partially loads the tire which is more realistic.

These machines are not yet made/used for motorcycles. But they are the best way to get your car tires done.

Shops use the spin balancers because they take far less talent and far less time. Typical motorcycle spin balancer is 3 G's.

Motorcycles tires that are from a major brand name are going to be very well balanced when new. It is not uncommon for the unbalance to be in the wheel assembly.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Static only balances the tire/wheel assembly in one plane. Dynamic balances it in three planes.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
To answer the original question, 40+ years of sometimes me & my static balancer & sometimes the shop & their dynamic balancer, no difference detected. Nary a shake, wiggle or vibration.

I think for motorcycle tires dynamic balancing isn't needed as it can be for cars. When's the last time anyone ever had weights distributed to different sides of their rims due to a lateral imbalance? Mine always get clipped in the middle.

I also think themanracing is correct in the good balance of modern quality motorcycle tires. In recent years mc tires no longer have a mark for the heavy side of the tire that use to placed away from the valve stem. Also, a few times lately new tires haven't required any new/different weights to balance them.

Reactions: tuts

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
To answer the original question, 40+ years of sometimes me & my static balancer & sometimes the shop & their dynamic balancer, no difference detected. Nary a shake, wiggle or vibration.

I think for motorcycle tires dynamic balancing isn't needed as it can be for cars. When's the last time anyone ever had weights distributed to different sides of their rims due to a lateral imbalance? Mine always get clipped in the middle.

I also think themanracing is correct in the good balance of modern quality motorcycle tires. In recent years mc tires no longer have a mark for the heavy side of the tire that use to placed away from the valve stem. Also, a few times lately new tires haven't required any new/different weights to balance them.
A lot of tires still have a yellow dot on the sidewall. That dot represents the lightest part of the tire, and should be put inline with the valve stem (not across from it). It allows you to use less weight to balance a tire. That is good for the shop doing it, and good for the bike.

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
I recently started balancing my own tires. Just a cheap stand, but after lubing the bearings, its decent.

Anyway, I had only watched youtube videos to do my motorcycle tires, and really did nto understand what to do. The first step was to get stock on weights and weight the rim. I randomly stuck on two ounces up front, on a shop balanced wheel, just to feel what it was like. There was a slight pulsing feel, but not even close to a loss of control.

I took all the weights off, and the tire, and tossed the rim in the balancer. I needed 1/2 oz to balance this, but it was very near the valve stem area..not what you would expect. Also, it was VERY obvious when this was right vs wrong. I probably spent two hours playing, and ALWAYS ended up with the 1/2 oz right where it was needed. Even an inch out of position was easy to spot. Not so easy was which side of the rim to weight, but the center is probably close enough.

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
Check out this pic..its from moto gp, 2009.

If these guys had a better way, they would have to use it as their tires would perform better???

The guy even has the same lost look on his face as I do when I'm working on mine.

The old machines that did car tires, HAD to spin fast to detect any off balance-ness.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
I spent 30 bucks on a balancing bead kit, but the guy lined up the yellow dot with the valve stem and I've been riding without issue since. Beads are still on the shelf. Tread wear is even and I don't notice any wobble or tracking problems. This on BT-023s. I hope every tire set goes this well.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
A lot of tires still have a yellow dot on the sidewall. That dot represents the lightest part of the tire, and should be put inline with the valve stem (not across from it). It allows you to use less weight to balance a tire. That is good for the shop doing it, and good for the bike.
I probably should have qualified that. I haven't used anything but Michelins for a long time now and haven't seen a dot in a while. I thought I remembered in the old days there was a blue dot that was the heavy side and was put away from the valve stem.

Check out this pic..its from moto gp, 2009.

If these guys had a better way, they would have to use it as their tires would perform better???
Funny you should show this. I got my last N1k set of tires at the local Ducati dealer because their service manager is now the guy I've used for years for service. Anyway, he surprised me when did my tires using the static balancer. Said he got as good a result as the spin balancer. Same when they wrench for the racers they support.

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
My new michelins had no dots.....Also, if they had one, I would have been off had I matched it with the valve stem. Out back, lets say the valve stem is at 6 o-clock....my light spot is at 3. I've checked and tested it so many times, I coudl go point to it..I even added weight in the wrong places trying to dis-prove it, but no go.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I don't balance my wheels... haven't for a long time. No shakes, wobbles, or problems. YMMV :D

·
Registered
768 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
They say it can be washed out with water.

There is no chemical bonding of Ride-On TPS to the tire. It can be easily removed from the tire by washing it out with water. This is particularly important to our fleet and commercial clients because, Ride-On can be washed out of a tire so that the tire can be retreaded.

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
Balancing the wheel without a tire to determine first the rear heavy spot before mounting the tire saves balancing weight and time.
This sounds reasonable, but would not have worked in my case. Worked is really not fair, as I was fine with no weights as far as feel went. The assembly is either in balance, or its not. If the wheel is off by .5oz, and you balance to that, adding the tire will either add to that figure, stay the same, l or take away. It can only stay the same if the tires perfect.

I think you'd be close enough doing it this way, or skipping it entirely, but not dead on. It could be helpful if you found the light spot of the tire and matched it to the heavy spot on the rim....

1 - 20 of 69 Posts