RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
The new bike has landed! Well, it's been procured... it's still in for "prep". Maybe have it in the carport tomorrow or Monday. Here's a teaser; want the reveal to be at home.

01212_1RCc5VcwxQS_1200x900_edit1.jpg

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
It is a used bike. Definitely cruiser style. I can't zoom in enough on the controls to see if it is Harley turn signals.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
I cant tell what bike it is, but the good news is it will be easy to upgrade from....You could use it as a stepping stone to upgrade to the dual front disc, water cooled, v four 750 Magna from 1983.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
images(11).jpg

Ur a funny guy Johnny Utah! Finished changing the oils and filter and fresh battery swapped. Pulled the wheels and doing the tires tomorrow. Maybe this will get someone in the ballpark.

01212_1RCc5VcwxQS_1200x900_edit_edit1.jpg

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Skinny front tire. Wide glide or softail custom.

Don't pay RC much attention. He is stuck on four cylinders. I chose the '85 Shadow 700 over the magna back in the spring of 86.

Reactions: HilbillyKat

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Might as well go ahead and reveal. I was looking for a used Harley somewhat setup the way I like. I found a 2002 Wide Glide near Fort Smith and a 2009 Softail Custom in Houston on ebay that looked good for almost decent prices. I also checked the local HD place which had three 2007-08 Softail Customs that were basically stock with 20-76k miles. Decided to try craigslist and found a 1995 Wide Glide decked out exactly how I like, lots of chrome, great colors, not a speck of rust, barely a scratch, and strong running. It is a gorgeous old school machine; I'm very happy. PO tossed in HD saddlebags, crankcase breather, and helped me with the work.

01212_1RCc5VcwxQS_1200x900.jpg

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Skinny front tire. Wide glide or softail custom.

Don't pay RC much attention. He is stuck on four cylinders. I chose the '85 Shadow 700 over the magna back in the spring of 86.

I like things with dual front disc brakes, decent , full sized tires and such. Not so much sport oriented machines, but machines built more for performance, and safety as opposed to a look.

When I see narrow front tire, single disc, and a skinny tire, that screams look. And it does look nice.

What bikes did you have before we knew you , here? You've had a diverse bunch.

I loved the 85 magna. Its engine was amazing, and it even handled pretty well.

Reactions: Vic.Thing

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 · (Edited)
I started my motorcycle life here almost four years ago. I guess you could call it the stereotypical mid life crisis because I wasn't exposed to bikes in my youth. My dad wouldn't buy anything motorized but cars and a push lawnmower. His philosophy was if I wanted a motor toy I could buy whatever I wanted when I could afford to buy it. Well, I spent most of my time going to school, so there was no time or money for that. I had a brush with getting a bike in the HD 100th anniversary year and had picked out the Wide Glide. I didn't have any money and they wanted $290 a month for seven years! I passed; good thing too because looking back, I think I would have killed myself on one. Funny story- I drove four hours to take one day of the two day MSF course. I overslept and was 15 minutes late for day two and they wouldn't let me back in. So I drove the four hours back home disgusted, ended up getting in a scrape with my wife, divorced her, got another wife, and 10 years later...

...I was working in Tacoma and there were bikes everywhere; I caught the bug as an innocent bystander. Bought the 7 locally as a starter bike because my target ride was a red Triumph Tiger 1050... half faired touring bike. I didn't know how to ride; the girl who owned it prior rode it to my house for me. A year later got the Tiger Explorer, traded that for the Connie, sold the Connie, got the HD bug again. That's it - four bikes in four years.

Reactions: Obo

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Is that an oil leak underneath I see a stain in the grass. Or is it a burned patch? Enjoy the new ride there are some really low mile mint condition Harley's on Craigslist here in CT not sure why the market is flooded with them all of a sudden

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Nah... it's a photo blemish. Was on more than one pic. Ironic though, right?

I would say the intro of the M8 has something to do with it.

Reactions: bearclaw

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
My BIL only buys '90s or earlier Harleys because he knows them well and likes the styling better.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I like things with dual front disc brakes, decent , full sized tires and such. Not so much sport oriented machines, but machines built more for performance, and safety as opposed to a look.

When I see narrow front tire, single disc, and a skinny tire, that screams look. And it does look nice.

What bikes did you have before we knew you , here? You've had a diverse bunch.

I loved the 85 magna. Its engine was amazing, and it even handled pretty well.
Just like anything else, if you ride within the limits of the bike you can have a thrill at much lower and safer speeds. My Moto Guzzi Cafe is a blast to ride at 45 mph. The concours and especially the Triumph Trophy were boring at 45 mph.

Yes, I have experienced all genres of bikes. Have not personally owned a full MX or Race Replica, but have ridden a few.
I have owned thumpers, P-twins, V-twins, Triples, and I-4 bikes. 200 lb to over 900 lb bikes. 20 HP to 160 HP.

I've kept some less than 4 months, and the longest was 6 years.

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
I think I'm that way. I like the chopper look, colors, chrome and the flared fender. Today's style is drag bike, black, black, and bobbed fender. I also like the carburetor!

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
You make sense, and I get it. For me, it's a serious step backwards, in safety. I'm not our pushing things to the limit on a normal basis. I like those high limits when something unexpected happens.

I feel like most fatal crashes I see will be on a bike like this. A modern machine built with the best technology 1970 had to offer. Who's to say. He may have avoided the car has he been riding something that would handle. Maybe better brakes would have allowed him to slow. Of course, no need for a helmet as its not against the law.

I think if the American public took a huge interest in restoring 1972 ford pints, and driving them, we would see someone step in and stop the nonsense. However, in motorcycling, it's encouraged, and it's cool.

This guy never really needed a good handling machine, or a helmet, until he hit the fender. Then it made sense.

Motorcyclist killed in crash on I-15 identified - Story | Utah

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Coincidentally, the guy was from Magna.

The wreck had nothing to do with his choice of bike, though.

·
Banned
2,525 Posts
Coincidentally, the guy was from Magna.

The wreck had nothing to do with his choice of bike, though.
You say that but are you sure? If for example, he was on a sportbike perhaps he could've reacted to the car he hit the fender and maneuvered? It's much more difficult to maneuver a bike that has comfy suspension and weighs 700 lbs and a Cadillac wheelbase.

Certainly when it comes to the last iota of safety, relative to prevailent ABS madness these days, a well handling bike compared to a log has to be a signficantly greater factor than ABS.

61 - 80 of 106 Posts