RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've actually never tied-down a sport bike -- dirt bikes and cruisers -- but no sport bikes. How do you get around the plastics? I'll likely have the 650 in the back of the pickup for a trip south in a few months.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd follow the same rules for when I tie down anything. If you can lock out the front wheel, start there. You can run one over the swing-arm (but not the chain) and through the rear wheel. Be careful if you have spokes. To keep the bike from falling left or right, use two tie-downs, one for each side. If you have any other tie-downs left over, and it runs across any painted part I'd suggest using a towel or cardboard to prevent rubbing.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I used canyon dancers when I brought my Ninja 650R home.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK. Thanks. My kid said soft ties, but I couldn't quite understand exactly what he meant. I just saw a video with a guy tying a bike down using Canyon Dancers. When I searched for info on those, I found a few complaints of messed up grips after their use.

I'm looking into the soft ties, but I get multiple hits when I search. But I think I've got it figured out now.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
There are also tie downs that have built in "soft ties", I have both. I can't believe all the non MC uses I've used the soft ties for, as well as the integrated soft tie/tie downs. If I ever break or lose either, I'll immediately replace them.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The canyon dancer can mess up your grips, but they go back to normal within an hour if that. Or you could do soft ties around the bars or under the lower triple. But some bikes the plastics get in the way of using the lower triple.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
I've never used any special ties. I just pull the strap out of the ratchet, loop it around the lower triple tree and pass it through the eye on the hook then back through the ratchet. On for each side on the front. This ensures the straps won't let go. Then pass the straps along the forks down to the front. Compress the forks about 3/4 of the way.

Rear? I've used swingarm, rearset, all sorts of spots back there. Do the same thing with your strap that you did up front to insure it doesn't let go.

2 straps up front, 2 in back.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Yeah, soft ties around the handlebars then attach right to the tie-down attached to the bed of your truck (I have one in every corner of my bed). Should be all you need...compress the forks a little. I did use a strap attached to each passenger peg but doubt they did anything.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
I WOULD strongly suggest strapping that rear down. Bumps in the road will cause it to move around.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^ Copied that. I've strapped down bikes before, just never one with such short handlebars and all that plastic.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm waiting for a call back from Canyon Dancer regarding size. I'm assuming the 650 would use the small size, a 28" (they have four sizes 28, 32, 36, 40). I'm assuming I need to include the bar ends in the measurement but there's almost an inch difference between measuring the back edge (rider side) of the bars and the front edge. I'm over 29" on the front edge.

Can anyone say for sure what size?

Also the Canyon Dancer II has cups instead of sleeves to go over the bars. This design is advertised to eliminate deforming the grips.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Its not that exact of a measurement. It doesnt matter that they are a bit longer then you need as they pull in towards the tank of the bike. So what ever extra you have just gets squished up.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ordered the Canyon Dancers and they arrived today. Tomorrow they go back. The instructions read, "Not for use with rubber mounted bars..." I guess that'd be OK for you Gen1 guys, but not so much for me :(

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
^ Received an email from the Canyon Dancer. It essentially said the rubber mounted bars warning dates back to when rubber mounted bars first came out 16 or so years ago. They were worried someone might tie down their bike for weeks at a time and they weren't sure how the rubber mounts would hold up under those conditions. Apparently they are considering removing the warning their next printing.

I'll have my bike tied down for two days. Maybe I'll keep it. I do hate to return stuff.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
You could loosen the tie down over night. Its what i do. Not to the point its not holding the bike up, but where its not compressing the forks as much.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts