RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a dumb question, but how do you guys strap bike down to haul?

Looking at our Ninja 250 in the garage looks to be more difficult to attach straps to handle bars like I do my dirt bikes without strap touching plastic. I am assuming that the 650 is going to be similar.

Can anyone point me in the right direction. Going to look at 650, if all pans out I will be hauling it home. Dont want to scratch the crap out of it.
I have soft ties, ratchet ties, and soft straps.

·
Banned
679 Posts
Here is a dumb question, but how do you guys strap bike down to haul?

Looking at our Ninja 250 in the garage looks to be more difficult to attach straps to handle bars like I do my dirt bikes without strap touching plastic. I am assuming that the 650 is going to be similar.

Can anyone point me in the right direction. Going to look at 650, if all pans out I will be hauling it home. Dont want to scratch the crap out of it.
I have soft ties, ratchet ties, and soft straps.
I haven't trailered mine yet; but a front wheel chock is a good place to start. As far as protecting the plastics; possibly draping a moving blanket over your gas tank and then running straps from your handle bars could work? As for the rear, maybe remove the seat and run straps from the frame; again putting some thing between the bike and the strap?

·
Registered
170 Posts
We use Baxley Sport Chocks for our streetbikes, dirtbikes, eveything. Fantastic chock, worth the price. It will hold the bike while you strap it down.

I use ratchet straps with soft tie-down extenders. The extenders are loops of strap cloth; I put them around the lower triple, away from any cords and lines. That preserves the bodywork.

I've used Canyon Dancers with success on bikes with clip-ons, but they don't work as well with tubular bars.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
forgot to mention, have front wheel chock. In fact both tires sit in the track.

As for taking care of back end is easy. I just run a tie through back wheel.

Those Baxley Sport Chocks look very nice, but not going to spend that kind of money for a one time use.
This is to only get the bike home. Really have no plans of hauling in the future.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sounds like you're set, then. If your tiedown points are more out than down, hook around the bars and you'll miss the bodywork. If they're more down, use soft tie extenders. They're one one of the dirtbikes right now, but it should give you the idea. I use the same extenders around the fork leg on top of the lower triple, as pictured, for my 650R.

·
Registered
299 Posts
whn i first bought the bike and had no clue how to ride i had to put it in a pickup. We used 4 of those ratchet straps pictured above. 1 on each handlebar, and the other two on the back wheel. I rember putting a cloth inbetween the plastic where there seemed to be a little contact between the strap. It was a 2 hour drive which felt like 5 hours with me worrying the whole time. But made it home, and the bike hadn't budged and no damage at all, all that worrying was for nothing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hauled my 650R about 400 miles when I bought it and had it not been for the Canyon Dancers II I don't think it would have made it. I highly recommend them!!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for info guys.
Never heard of Canyon dancers before, but mentioned to a friend, he is lending me his for the weekend.

Hauling bikes / atv's is not new to me. Not worried about the haul, just didn't see at first how to avoid body work.
I will be ordering a couple sets of Canyon dancers! Ebay, shipped $32

Thanks again, learned something new

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Hauled my 650R about 400 miles when I bought it and had it not been for the Canyon Dancers II I don't think it would have made it. I highly recommend them!!!
+1

·
Registered
294 Posts
Anybody ever had an issue on the 650R using Canyon Dancer and having the handlebars rotate down under the pressure and bouncing? If bars weren't tight enough, it seems it could do that and loosen the bike.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Anybody ever had an issue on the 650R using Canyon Dancer and having the handlebars rotate down under the pressure and bouncing? If bars weren't tight enough, it seems it could do that and loosen the bike.
I had no issues with mine but I have only hauled it the one time.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
If you have the bars torqued properly that should not happen. Remember that you are not trying to compress the suspension more than an inch or so.

When I use Tie downs I add a long bungee that I put on the rings on either end of the tie down. That way if the tie down gets loose from a bad bump the bungee keeps it tight on the bike.

·
Registered
294 Posts
When I use Tie downs I add a long bungee that I put on the rings on either end of the tie down. That way if the tie down gets loose from a bad bump the bungee keeps it tight on the bike.
That's smart. Never thought of that. :alcy:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts