RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
triumph Thruxton>
Performance (Measured at crankshaft to DIN 70020)
Maximum Power68bhp @ 7,400 rpmMaximum Torque51ft.lbs @ 5,800rpm

The thruxton is a unique motorcycle I'm looking for. But curious why its under powered. it has almost 900cc's of power but the numbers are almost the same as the 650r ninja. kinda of confused. whats all the extra cc's used for then?

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
i like the older ones with the clip ons

·
Registered
3 Posts
The reason it has lower hp than the 650R is due to the non liquid cooled motor such as green rocketed stated, cc's don't initially mean anything about hp btw. I had a 883cc Harley sportster once and it only put out 43.5 wrhp. Now thats horrible. Ninja 500R destoried me lolol.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
for looks they're A-OK in my book. but i've heard and read they're not so reliable; i also read on a triumph forum that the dealers and factory don't provide very good customer service (but that was merely one thread on one forum...). as far as fun factor i can't say; i've never ridden one.

·
Registered
214 Posts
any old British bikes are crap compared to today's bikes.
we used to called the slugs or snails cause they use to leave a trail of oil all over the place. and the vibrate that much parts use to fall off after 50 miles.
they were good bikes in their days. the trouble with the British bike industry then was that they did not develop them enough like the japs.
new model consist of a new seat trim,paint,stripes, and that's about it till the japs came but by then it was too late.
like all industries in this country most relied on their laurels and consequently went to the wall.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The Thruxton is an awesome bike. It is smooth, powerful, comfortable, and the fit and finish is first class. I've ridden more than a few, and it's one of my favorite bikes.
I ride in a triumph owners club every 2nd Sunday, and there are quite a few Thruxtons.
Its not the worlds most powerful bike - you're not going to go up against a 600cc crotch rocket and win, that is not what the bike is for. The air cooled engine is very unique, smooth and has a nice linear powerband. I've not heard of any reliability issues. They are all fuel injected and are just a joy to ride. The engine is so smooth, it makes the 650R feel like it is jumping around and twitchy. When you pull up on a 650R its just another sport bike, show up on a thruxton and people take notice. I would love to own one, riding it is a unique experience. Dont take my word for it, ride down to your Triumph dealer and ride one. As long as you have your liscence, a helmet and jacket, Triumph encourages test riding.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
any old British bikes are crap compared to today's bikes.
we used to called the slugs or snails cause they use to leave a trail of oil all over the place. and the vibrate that much parts use to fall off after 50 miles.
they were good bikes in their days. the trouble with the British bike industry then was that they did not develop them enough like the japs.
new model consist of a new seat trim,paint,stripes, and that's about it till the japs came but by then it was too late.
like all industries in this country most relied on their laurels and consequently went to the wall.
We are talking about the "new" retro Triumphs.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
....so a air cooled bike makes the engine run less powerful??

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Air-cooled motors can't handle the heat of a higher-compression ratio. They also have to run really lean because they can't fire off a catalytic converter very well. At least they are fuel-injected now. ,BK

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2010 thruxton as my street bike. Its my only source of transportation during the week. I ride it in the rain and hail if necessary. The thruxton is super fun if used for what it was intended. I have my 650r as my race bike and my thruxton as my fun relaxed street bike. The thruxton is my 41st motorcycle. Ive had everything from a hayabusa, zx-10r, cbr900rr, sv1000, maxims, secas, cb400-550-750, speed triple, z1000, shovelhead, sportster and electraglide just to name a few. As a streetbike the thruxton suits me best. Feels like your flying around a corner and your doing 90kph. ANY new sport bike isnt even trying at that speed. The police leave me alone and Ive met some of the coolest people. The bike seems like a barometer for cool bike people and not pigeon holed harley or sportbike people. As for a track bike though not a chance. Its seriously under sprung and under powered. While this is true for the 650r as well its cured relatively cheaply for the kawi. The triumph meanwhile is gonna be a heavy bike no matter what.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts