RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after the newness of the bike has worn off I realized that the throttle doesn't snap back on the handle bar like it should. What could be causing this? I'm not sure if the cable has been replaced or not but I'm gonna say that it hasn't been replaced. Im also looking at possibly replacing the grips what would be entailed in doing this?

Also as a side note what RPM do you guys run your idle at?

Thanks

·
Registered
795 Posts
I just razor blade the old grips off .... Be careful not to cut into the plastic throttle ... Grip glue acts like lube for the new 7/8 in. grips .. Apply on bar and slide them on... Be sure to put the larger one on the throttle .. I think there is a spring the the mechanism that my be worn out for the return position ... Or the grip that is on now is not free enough ....

·
Registered
415 Posts
It's got two cables, and of course the throttle plates spring.

The second cable, the return, really is not supposed to do much. Is there for 'safety' in case that the throttle spring beakes, so there is a way to close the throttle.

Both cable have adjustment, Threaded sleeves that you can turn. So first make sure the cables are not too tight. Take the tank off, and you'll have a clear view of how the cables actuate the throttle linkage, and inspect the spring or anything bent. You can also disassemble the grip to make sure the cables are in their grooves.

How many miles does it have? If bike is old, lubing the cables might help, or I'd get new ones. They are not that expensive, if you don't find anything mechanically wrong.

·
Registered
21 Posts
They probably just need a little lube - a good lubing once a year will keep them "snapping" for you.

Most bike shops will have a kit with lube and the oil thingamajig you need to get the lube down into the cables. See pic...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They probably just need a little lube - a good lubing once a year will keep them "snapping" for you.

Most bike shops will have a kit with lube and the oil thingamajig you need to get the lube down into the cables. See pic...
I have this tool bought it for an older bike that I sold. When I bought it it didn't come with any instructions, do you know how to use it?

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
You'll have to disconnect one end of the cable, the easiest is the throttle end but the lube will flow better from the handlebar end.

After you have it disconnected slip the tool over the end - the rubber inside is cone shaped-put the big end of the cone over the cable jacket, the cable itself will stick out through the small end of the rubber cone. Screw it tight, then stick the plastic nozzle from your lube into the little hole on the tool and spray...work the cable back and forth then spray some more...the idea is to get the lube worked down the full length of the cable.

Have a rag handy to clean up any overspray.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts