RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have a problem with my throttle not returning to idle properly. It will kind of drop to 3000rpm when you pull the clutch and then slowly make it's way back down, the same happens if the gears are engaged.

Where to start? I tried to oil the clutch cable a little but I'm not sure exactly how much oil went down the cable rather than just out into the air.

It has just come back from an MOT and service but there's absolutely no way they'll ever be getting my bike again but that's another story, so please don't suggest taking it back.

What next?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Your choke's not stuck on is it?
Or maybe you have a frayed throttle cable.
How old is the bike, and how many miles?

And where in the UK are you?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Choke's free as a bird. I oiled that mechanism previously just in case.

When the bikes cold it doesn't suffer, revs return as normal but when it's warmed up it happens.

2000 V-reg 14,000miles

Southampton

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be honest Hugo I'm not the most technical person when it comes to bikes, so how would I go about checking for vacuum leaks?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Could be a diaphram problem with a carb also..
If you're not mechanically inclined it may be best to get someone to look at it.......

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Also check cable routing and proper slack. Although not likely the problem, but if you've always warmed it up before riding away you may have kept the bars straight ahead so a cable problem may not have manifested itself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK just for the record if anyone looks at this post in the future:

I took it to Kawasaki and he BALANCED THE CARBS and that seems to be the end of it. I'm going for a 180 mile ride on Saturday so any problems i'll let you know.

And thanks for all your help everyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts