RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a decent throttle hold that will work with a 2016 Versys LT?

Or do the wind guards for the grips make it not possible?

-Don- Reno, NV

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I don't have the LT model, but I've used throttle locks on prior bikes. Have you looked at Throttlemeister, Kaoko, or the much simpler and cheaper Go Cruise?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have the LT model, but I've used throttle locks on prior bikes. Have you looked at Throttlemeister, Kaoko, or the much simpler and cheaper Go Cruise?
I have checked some, but few are clear if they will work on a 16 Versys. 2015 and 2016 Versys should be the same, at least. Anyway, I just now discovered THIS.

But I was hoping to hear from somebody here who is using one of the Throttle holds to see if some are better than others, etc.

I cannot stand riding a bike for long without a throttle hold, except for with dirt bikes. Why would anybody want to decelerate fast just because they want to use their right hand for something else for a second? And why hold a spring down for hours?

In fact, I like throttle holds a lot better than cruise controls on street bikes. Cruse controls have too many limitations (such as going too slow to use, etc).

-Don- Reno, NV

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I have a simple one like this. Mind you it's not on a Versys.

Mine's a GoCruise model.

gocruise-2.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a simple one like this. Mind you it's not on a Versys]
Thanks, they are cheap enough and looks like it will serve for what I need. I just ordered one, I will report back how well it works on my 2016 Versys.

-Don- Reno, NV

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Hopefully it will do the trick for you! It works well for my bike.

IMG_8746.JPG

I also have a wrist rest (as in the picture) and some call them cramp busters or throttle rockers. It let's your palm pressure hold your throttle open so you don't have to have such a tight grip on the handlebar. I find I use this all the time and rarely use the gocruise. It's held on with Velcro.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I received my Go-Cruise today, that was fast. I installed it and tried it out already. It works fine on the Versys 650 LT. Was easy to install, but required me to remove the screw for the grip wind guard to put on the rubber thingy. Easy enough to use and works well enough for me, but I am more used to the type that simply holds where you are on my other bikes. The Go-Cruise requires me to activate it, but not a big deal.

Back in 1971, my BMW came stock with a throttle hold hand screw. I wish all bikes would.

-Don- Reno, NV

·
Registered
853 Posts
My 1973 Kawasaki H1D Mach III 500 had a throttle hold screw mounted in the throttle housing too, I used it too.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I'm sure they figured they could save 25 cents and quit making them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I ended up using an trick from an old timer motorcycle buddy. I made "washers" from a plastic coffee can cover and installed them between the throttle and the handlebar end weights. It took four plastic washers, made from a single plastic coffee can cover to hold the throttle on my Versy 650. It's not adjustable while riding and cannot be turned off, but all that is fine with me.

I still have the Go-Cruise installed, but it's no longer needed. The big advantage of the plastic washers is that I do not ever have to be set the cruise hold on--the throttle stays tight at all times, the way I want, won't return by the spring.

-Don- SSF, CA

1 - 10 of 10 Posts