RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

Would you buy this demo bike for this price?

• Heck no, stay away from demos.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, the price is too high..

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
My local shop is selling a 2020 Kawasaki Ninja 650 ABS with 2300 miles for $5k +Dealer Fees.

The bike seems to be in mint condition and I assume it was managed well with maintenance since it was a demo.

What are your thoughts on purchasing a demo bike? Am I setting myself up for failure/disappointment?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2,473 Posts
Hello everyone,
My local shop is selling a 2020 Kawasaki Ninja 650 ABS with 2300 miles for $5k +Dealer Fees.

The bike seems to be in mint condition and I assume it was managed well with maintenance since it was a demo.

What are your thoughts on purchasing a demo bike? Am I setting myself up for failure/disappointment?

Thank you!
Hi. Welcome onboard.

I personally don't see any problem with buying a demo bike. Most riders will probably only have punted around the suburbs on it, with a few giving it a short burst of speed to see how fast it goes.

I would be looking foremost at the mileage on the bike - if it's only a couple of hundred - then it should be fine to go.

If it's a couple of thousand, then maybe steer clear.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
If it comes with the full warranty (time from purchase date and full mileage from whatever is on it when you buy it) then I'd buy it if the price was what I was willing to pay.

Reactions: SoCal4Runner

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yep same warranty and you save yourself break-in and initial oil change. If there's no damage and wasn't dropped I think you just saved yourself almost $3k.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Depends on the dealer. Reason I ask is because I've worked at a few that have COMPLETELY different demo policys.

Dealership "A" would have demo rides once a week. You signed up, signed waivers, were somewhat vetted by the salespeople (if you're a first time rider you aren't going) brought your gear and went for a two hour ish ride with a leader and a tail rider to keep the speed and stragglers in check.

Dealership "B" would take a photocopy of your drivers license and say have it back before close. Even had helmets on loan (yuck). A lot of those bikes left with 2km on the ODO and I could hear them rev banging with missed shifts as they're pulling on to the highway. I would not want one of those bikes.

Most dealerships also have an employee demo program. Where management and some of the employee MVP's can lease the bike for $1 and keep it for a predetermined amount of time or maximum amount of km's.

I'd get a Dealership "A" demo bike any day. Dealership "B" is going to be a demo disaster. The lease option has bikes return in excellent condition too.

PS: All manufacturers that I am aware of (Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, Husqvarna, KTM, Moto Guzzi, Aprilia, Triumph) have the same warranty on demo's as they do with a new unit. Warranty starts when the CUSTOMER takes possession.

·
Super Moderator
2,473 Posts
Depends on the dealer. Reason I ask is because I've worked at a few that have COMPLETELY different demo policys.

Dealership "A" would have demo rides once a week. You signed up, signed waivers, were somewhat vetted by the salespeople (if you're a first time rider you aren't going) brought your gear and went for a two hour ish ride with a leader and a tail rider to keep the speed and stragglers in check.
That's pretty civilised. Maybe the major dealers in Oz do something similar now-a-days. I remember that many dealers had 'ride days' where you could take different models for a spin for an hour - except the top end ones.

Smaller dealers would give you the keys in exchange for your licence and give you an hour - before they called the cops.

So generally, you didn't get to fully appreciate/explore the bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So in nj there are no test rides so a demo bike would be showroom condition
I'm confused. It's not a demo bike if it hasn't been ridden. If it's in showroom condition what makes it a demo bike?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alrighty, time for an update!
First off, thank you for all of your replies and advice!

I am now a first-time owner of a 2020 Kawasaki Ninja 650 ABS!
Out the door, the cost was about $7600. So that was fun...

The bike was a demo from Kawasaki themselves, so I assume that the maintenance was very routine. Sadly, they didn't have any records at the dealership that I got the bike from... For the discussions about the whole "demo" situation, the bike was used at bike events allowing the riders to test ride it while following the leader type of drives.

The total runtime was about 90hrs, 2259 miles, and an average speed of 25mph, so I felt pretty comfortable buying it.

Many of you were correct about the Kawasaki warranty being in effect as I am the first official owner of the bike, so I now have a 12month warranty from Kawasaki. (Still confused on that, but I'll learn eventually)

This is my first bike, and I've driven it around the neighborhood, and it's fun! Going to take some getting used to with the throttle response, but that comes over time.

Now time to learn everything I can about owning a motorcycle.. (Exciting but nervous at the same time)

I appreciate all of you guys!
-Joshua

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Congrats on the new bike!! 🏍🏍

·
Super Moderator
2,473 Posts
Congrats on the decision.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds like you got “Reamed” on dealer fees. If my math is correct, you paid $2600 above asking price!
I realize there are state sales tax, approximately $300, state license fees around $50, warranty $450 ( just guessing) and Stealership fees of $1800. WTF! NEVER do that again! Do not pay Stealership fees. There are honest dealers out there that do not charge extra for absolutely nothing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts