RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know, I've gone back and forth on this a million times, saying that I'm selling my ZR-7, then saying that I'll never get rid of it, etc, etc. Well, this time the decision will probably be final.

I have had an interest in the little Ninja EX250 for quite a while now, and I look them up in the classifieds from time to time. I found one a couple days ago, a 2001 with 2700 miles on it, listed for $2500 at a large dealership a few hours from me. Not that great a price, but I offered them a deal that I didn't expect them to accept. A trade-in of my ZR-7, plus a decent sum of cash back to me. Much to my surprise, they took me up on it.

The dealer and I are still working out the particulars, but it is looking like I will be bidding farewell to the ZR-7. I have a few extras that I would be willing to sell, so I thought I could start taking "reservations" for stuff in the likely case I do trade in my ZR. I have the blue Targa Blastshield windscreen, a few new ZR-7 oil filters, a ZR-7 service manual, and I just ordered a new Five-Star luggage rack. If I can't back out of the rack, then I'll be able to offer it to you guys.

So, why trade in a perfectly good 750cc machine for a puny 250? Well, I have many reasons, actually. First and foremost, I want a track-bike. I want a machine that I can deck out with all kinds of aftermarket goodies, and use as a learning tool at the track. With only a little more than 300 pounds to throw around and a shorter wheelbase, the 250 handles way better than the ZR-7, and better than most 600cc and open-class sportbikes. Its power isn't intimidating, letting the rider focus more on the track than the motorcycle. It teaches its rider to use his gears and revs, instead of just riding a big fat torque curve in one or two gears like you might on a bigger bike. Second, I can still use it to commute, just like I did the ZR. Except this bike gets 70 miles to the gallon! Third, cheaper insurance. And last, I get a decent chunk of cash back that I can use as down-payment for my 2002 Triumph Daytona 955i. ;)

If I do trade in the ZR, I will always miss it. It's about as practical a motorcycle as you can buy.

·
Registered
176 Posts
don't leave quite yet

I too have made a decision... I will be picking up a bright yella ninja 250 soon. My financial situation changed and the violet-purple ZR-7s I had my eye on (bike world rules) is just out of my reach. And since I am a ca$h only person...financing isn't an option.

I plan to stay on the Zr-7 forum because it is one of the most civil and informative sites on the web...and the honest opinions have helped me make a decision or two. I hope you will stay as well, as I have learned from you.

and if you go...I'll miss ya... as will others I'm sure.

Shawn " Hey Andy...want my ZR-7.com License plate holder?" Clark

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
OK, guys. Many reasons to not have a ZR-7, be it naked blue, faired red, or Barney blurple.....but there is NO excuse to leave this forum....none. Stick around. Tom :D

You hear me, don't you? Hey Stan's still here.

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Hi Shawn,

I agree Bike World is a friendly place. All the employees there are very nice people.

Your correct, paying with cash is the best way to go. When you do get the Ninja 250 we will have to go for a ride.

You will have just as much fun on a Ninja 250 as you would have on the ZR.

Andy

·
Registered
418 Posts
Tom Bozeman said:
OK, guys. Many reasons to not have a ZR-7, be it naked blue, faired red, or Barney blurple.....but there is NO excuse to leave this forum....none. Stick around. Tom :D

You hear me, don't you? Hey Stan's still here.
That's right Tom . . Because this forum is THE best. The features of the site, the knowledge and common civil behavior make it the best.

Like I've always believed, If you got the courage to ride ANY motorcycle IN traffic. . you're cool . . whether it be Harley, ZR-7, Ninja, ZRX, Bandit, CBR, GSXR, Daytona, FZ-1 or whatever.

Hang around, we like ya :)

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Hey Triple,

Weren't you the one who was saying to others who bought other bikes to not leave the forum? I hope you stick around too. It's funny reading your comments as you torment yourself going back and forth over the whole ZR/Ninja/Daytona dilemma:laugh: :laugh:

Be sure to stick around.

Emrah

P.S. I was ALMOST thinking of doing the exact same thing. Trade my beloved ZR for the 250 for the exact same reasons. I'm thinking differently now (unless I get a screamin' deal on a 250). Good luck with your new purchase.

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
Hey Triple, is the 250 a four, or a two, like the 500 ? I've read how it redlines in the stratosphere. That's one of it's appeals. Hey, Duffy said it the best, courage. Very well put. You guys are staying.

Tony

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
the 250 is also a parallel twin, but still 4 valves per cylinder. pretty hi-tech for a little scoot :) the redline is high but from what i hear the power doesn't build until you're really up there in the revs. definitely a good track bike though. the 500 too. they're both small, light and inexpensive with good performance. you'll learn more about riding working with one of these than some power monster that can cover your bad habits with a twist.

i considered the 250 and the 500 but if i was gonna get a twin it would be a v-twin. love that torque! also, i use my bike for freeway commuting and passengers regularly so a smaller, lighter bike would not be my best choice. it's one of the things that made me pick the zr over the sv-650.

for a dedicated track bike or track and fun street bike the 250 and 500 are both respectable performers and great values.

scott

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The atmosphere here is pretty unique, actually. Definitely a good bunch of guys (and girls, not enough of you, though), and since I am still a huge fan of the ZR-7, I'll probably be still be around often. Besides, putting the ZR aside, I'm still assuming that most of us are just Kawasaki-- and motorcycle-- enthusiasts in general. I have to tell people about my racing exploits anyway. :)

The Ninja EX250 is a vertical twin, MedZR7Treker. I think it has a redline of about 14,500 rpm, and has a peak of 38 hp right around twelve grand. Not much torque, but considering the powerplant, that's to be expected. I'm not really interested in power, not so much as I am handling.

Lots of people have been recommending the 500 to me, but my thoughts that if I want to race a 385 pound bike, I'll spring the extra dough for an SV650 and put all the EX500's to shame. No, I can get away cheaper and learn just as much with the 250. Plus, the new 250's have full fairings; those split fairings on the later model 500's just don't do it for me.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey emrah, if you want a "screamin deal" on a 250, just look up this dealer I'm working with. He has two of them... well, probably not two for long...

Interested, just let me know. These dealers have a hard time selling EX250's, for obvious street-wise reasons. That's why this place is so willing to work with me, anyway.

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Hey Triple,

When I said, "screamin' deal" I really meant it. Like $500 bucks or something for a used one. Or one that's lightly damaged; say from a low speed low side to just dropping it in the driveway kind of thing.

I've currently put aside buying something new/extra though, until I figure out what's going on with the job situation. If I move to NASCAR country (NC), there won't be any use for a track bike, as they don't have as many tracks nearby as we do here in SoCal (Buttonwillow, Laguna, Willow Sprigns, Fontana, etc.) Thanks for looking out for a deal though.

Be sure to let us (especially me) know how the new bike handles, performs, mileage, etc., as well as your general thoughts on it.

Emrah

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
He's a real asset when it comes to riding partners. Hopefully we can get in another couple hundred miles together before he leaves...... :cool:....but you're not getting Scott!!!! :laugh:

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
Hey Martin, if we can just get him here and keep him here for a year or three -- well you won't recognize the man "if" he ever comes back to California. He won't talk the same, he won't act the same, but hey, he's a good guy already, he will just absorb that good ole guy routine, you won't be able to **** him off to quickly, in other words he will be a little more laid back, not that he is already. Tom :D

Yea, we probably won't get Scott, but we will try later.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
You may have to work a little to get rid of his accent.....:laugh:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Figures, Ruby traded a EX250 in on her ZR7. They are fun to wail on though. But for $2500, heck they're only $3K new. I think she got $1800 for hers in the same condition, 1 yr old, stock, 2600 miles. For 2500 bones I'd be looking for an early CBR600F1 or F2. You can find 'em pretty cheap, under $3K.
I put a DJ stg III, K&N pods and a full 2 into 1 Muzzy on the baby Ninja for her birthday(already sold the stuff to a buddy). Didn't make a whole lot of difference really. Only made itLOUD, I mean really loud. Muzzy's said the twins are notoriously loud with a pipe. The quiet baffle didn't help either. $50 to send it in to Muzzy and get it welded in, they wouldn't just send it to me and let me install it. Not trying to rain on your parade or anything.

Here's a little something from the Factory pro site. Check out the 250. http://www.factorypro.com/dyno/true1.html

BTW let me know what happens with the Five Star rack. Maybe I could take it off your hands. Gotta link to a pic?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
$2500? Bah!

The bike is listed for $2500, but don't think for a minute that's what I'm paying. They're keeping my bike and giving me cash back, and trust me, it doesn't come out to $2500 on their behalf.

No, no, Mr Triple won't be taken like that. Not again, anyway... :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts