RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I love my Z but need funds for a new lens to be able to pull in two new photography jobs. I'm thinking that if I sell the Z for the lens to get the work, the work will enable me to by something brand new next season. This is frustrating. Anyone here into photography that might be interested in trading a Canon 300mm f/2.8L or a 200mm f/2L?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Focus on a trade for your gear. This is a bad time to sell the bike. Or tell the client you need 1/2 up front as a deposit as that can be considered common practice.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'd check out renting the lenses if it makes sense for the projects. On another forum I check out someone put up a link to a rental place and it seemed a reasonable way to demo a lense for a few days.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Easy decision really. DONT SELL THE Z'd!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've rented the 300mm f/2.8L a few times from lensrentals.com and fell in love with it. I'll probably rent it again for the project and work toward a purchase in the near future. Selling the bike will still be the only way to get it though.

·
Authorized Vendor
877 Posts
RobD:

I'm in the same boat. Talked with my better half about selling the bike to fund more stuff (looking at a 1 D Mark iii at the moment). She said keep it since it costs so little to insure and plate here in Ohio.

Check out Borrowlenses.com as another source.

·
Premium Member
6,454 Posts
At least with Canon you can rent or find decent used deals. You should be able to save some on a previous gen 300/2.8L since the new one was just announced.

Marty, look at the Sony A900. =) I just got back from NH where I also got to try a Nikon D3x along side my A900 + 24-70 Zeiss SSM.

My bike and car have not received any mods since I started the camera thing back in 2006. My Jeep got a whole new suspension and lift, but that was partially out of necessity and spiraled a bit out of hand. haha. I JUST ordered the new Sony Zeiss 24mm f/2.0 too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MartyM:

You will LOVE the 1D mark III, That is the camera the 300mm f/2.8L will be on with my 50D/70-200mm f2.8 as back up. I am hoping to get a 1Ds mark III and a first gen 200mm f/2L in the near future. Keep your eye on B&H online used section, they have great deals on 8+ to 9+ equipment often.

·
Registered
598 Posts
There have been a number of times I wanted to sell my bike but the reasons have never been good enough to let it go (especially since I would only be getting another one later :glassesti)! The lens isn't going to bring work but the bike brings joy when there is no work! :2cents:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's just it, I have sports & motorsports work available to me but need the lens for it :/

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunately that's not an option right now. I am over extended as it is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts