RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well I got to ride one yesterday. A buddy who lives out of town was passing through and we hooked up.

He has a 2010 Connie and 2 other bikes. He now owns my old 2011 N1k and recently bought a like new 2013 Gixxer 750.

So he rode my FZ09 and I hopped on his Connie. Did about 30 miles on hiway 33 which is our local moto GP mountain road.

Must say I was very impressed how well it handled being almost a 700 pound monster. Its a very smooth machine.

A couple of things I did not like: 1. The linked brakes. For this reason will be considering the 08 and 09 models.
2. The foot pegs seemed a little high. Made me feel slightly cramped and I am not a tall guy at 5'9"
3. Also I can see why guys put on bar extensions. I had to sit up near the tank to be upright and not hunched forward.

It is a lot of bang for the buck to be sure.

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
The seating position can be dealt with. The bike has been around , so long, there are all kinds of peg lowers, risers, whatever you want.

I think they had to link the brakes. The 08 and 09 models will brake so hard it was not well suited for peopel who were not fairly serious....I dont know, really....it sucks.

The seating position is perfect.....but you wont realize that until 130. Thats the problem with the bikes nature. It was set up and designed for speeds way higher than we can legally deal with. At high speeds, seating position, wind protection, etc...it feels like that lightbulb going off in your brain and you think OH, thats it...I suspect that when we might appreciate linked brakes? There has to be something great about the concept. Yamahas new r1 is using linked brakes????

There are so many aftermarket parts for it, you can change any seating issues you find.

The 08 and 09 have a short, stock windshield that is nto great. The 9 and 10 shield bolts right on. Still, the aftermarket has this well covered.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Good, accurate points for sure. I have wedges and the Kawasaki accessory seat for my 68" height. Oh yeah, that 130 thing is merely a number on the dial at that point - absolutely no drama! ;)

Something not mentioned is the traction control and ECO mode. Definitely worth having.

I can attest to the KRTC effectiveness due to sand and light gravel on the roads out here. As much as I'm looking for it, there has been a time it did its job near Gateway, CO exiting from a parking lot. Also, during the 1000-IN-24 endurance run last August, my Connie achieved 60.4mpg between Gunnison and Durango using the ECO mode. Not bad for a four-cylinder! The next three fill-ups were 56-57mpg. My BMW bro-in-law who does the RT thing is impressed with those numbers.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm gonna test ride an 09 tomorrow.

Actually found a dealership in Santa Maria that lets you test ride used bikes... Imagine that these days.

So will get to sample the heater, the non linked brakes, and buffet special windshield.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
I like the linked brakes. I tend to ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs. It is nice to just squeeze the brake lever and get some rear brake. I still get some front compression to help turn in while in the curves so no issues with trail braking. Which setting do you guys have the linked brakes set at?

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
I put it on aggressive when on the superslabs but minimal for cornering.
You like the linked brakes? Must POSITIVE Reasons To Link THEM. The new 22,000 r1 has them. On a heavy bike like this, the rear brake actually does something

Ignore the stock 08 to 09 shield. It's 4 in too low. Aftermarket parts fix this no problem

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Rode a red 2009 today. Pretty much a total stocker.

Man this bike is much sweeter the 2nd time around. Absolutely loved it. I think partly due to the stock seat. My buddy's 2010 had a Corbin seat and I did not like it at all. It was pushing me back off of the tank the whole time. The stock seat on the 09 kept me neutral where ever I sat.

Weather was overcast and 58 degrees. On the way back to the shop on surface streets I definitely could feel the heat out the right side. This is making me lean towards a 2010 or newer as I will be moving inland this summer to retire where it gets into the triple digits in the summer.

The standard non linked brakes were refreshing and familiar but were not nearly as powerful, and might I say touchy, as the 2010 model with the linked brakes.

Now if I can just find a clean one to steal!

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
If you go 2009 and under you'll definitely need to upgrade the plastics so you get some venting away from the legs. I think there was a complaint as well with the side mirrors being too low and having the saddlebags in half the view.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yep the mirrors are lower on the 08 and 09. Nice view of the bags though...lol.

The higher mirrors on the 10 and up also provides a bit more wind protection on the hands.

More wind on the hands was the first thing I noticed riding the 09. With non heated grips that could be an issue on a cold day.

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
I believe he ended up traveling a bit and found a nice 2010 model.he 2010 is a great choice. Still almost 100% current, but better bodywork. I dont think ti looks as nice, bit the 10 bodywork is way, way better.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Sorry guys I have not been on the forum for a while.

Yep I picked up a low mileage 2012 candy Arabian red one.

One owner and only 1400 miles on it.

Found it in Idaho.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Sorry guys I have not been on the forum for a while.

Yep I picked up a low mileage 2012 candy Arabian red one.

One owner and only 1400 miles on it.

Found it in Idaho.
Found a California bike in Utah? Did you fly and ride?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Found a California bike in Utah? Did you fly and ride?
No it's an Idaho bike. My son lives there so the title and reg are in both of our names.

Reg is only $34 a year and it does not have an evap canister. So every time I top off the tank it leaves a salute to Al Gore on the ground...Aka a small puddle of 91 octane.

Yep I jumped on SouthWest to Boise and my son picked me up and dropped me off at the Dealership.

Spent a few days with him then took 3 days to get home the long and twisty way.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm talking myself into buying one. The local dealer has a new 2015 marked at 13,099.00 and a 1750 rebate. The 560.00 freight brings it to 11,909. Too good to pass up?

·
Registered
3 Posts
awesome bikes I use to own a 2009. I put 7300 miles on it over 11 days riding from NC to San Diego CA and back and who knows how many trips to the NC/TN mountains. If you like knocking out consecutive 500 to 700 mile days its hard to beat a well setup C14.

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
If you are slicing up interstates, 500-700 miles at a time, in four seasons, and you do it alot, then yes. Any other circumstance, I say no. I'm at 5500 miles on mine and I'm already bored with it. It puts me to sleep in deep south summertime for sure. It's just too heavy and has a total lack of drama, which has its place, but not in a motorcycle for me. I much prefer my little ZR7 for up to 500 mile days in three seasons. I'm trading the C14 on something totally impractical to get the drama back.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
If you are slicing up interstates, 500-700 miles at a time, in four seasons, and you do it alot, then yes. Any other circumstance, I say no. I'm at 5500 miles on mine and I'm already bored with it. It puts me to sleep in deep south summertime for sure. It's just too heavy and has a total lack of drama, which has its place, but not in a motorcycle for me. I much prefer my little ZR7 for up to 500 mile days in three seasons. I'm trading the C14 on something totally impractical to get the drama back.
I think I'd like to be bored with one for a while though.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts