RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lease on my Sonoma is up this coming July. I want to have another vehicle ready to replace it as my daily driver when that time comes. I'm thinking now that I would like something large enough to transport a motorcycle, though, especially if I can transport it enclosed.

Since I have no intention of buying a trailer, and I don't like the clumsy feel of a full-size van, I'm thinking of buying a Chevy Astro or GMC Safari. I know that at least one motorcycle will fit inside standing up (at least one the size of a ZR-7), but do you think there would be enough space to fit two side by side? I'm thinking that I could buy one of those cargo-specific vans that don't have any carpet or anything in the back, and fabricate my own tie-downs into the metal bed.

I looked into buying a new Astro cargo, but they retail for $20,000! :eek: That's almost twice as much as my '99 Sonoma cost! Since GM is absolutely insane about these things, I've decided to look for some older ones.

If you know of any around your area for sale at a decent price, cargo or passenger, please let me know. Especially if you are from somewhere in the south-- I will not buy a vehicle unless it is totally rust-free, both body and undercarriage. Mileage and the condition of the interior do not matter to me, since I will probably be swapping in a small-block 350 and tearing out all the carpet anyway.

Hey, let me know what you think, I think a V-8 powered Astro with two sportbikes in the back would be pretty cool.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
You may have to remove your mirrors to get 'em in (maybe not, but it'll probably be close). You'd have to measure between the wheel wells for width and height so they don't bang up the pipes and other protruding parts (to include the fender wells) when you go over bumps. The fender wells in my pick up are starting to get dented from foot pegs and kick stands. Also, most of those little vans are rated at 1/2 ton and putting 2 big street bikes in would be pushing it. A set of overloads and better tires would be in order. Plus with an enclosed van you get stuck in there with all the gas fumes. Maybe a vent system to suck all the fumes out the roof would cure that. My 2000 Silverado has a 283 in it and my boss has one with a 327 in it. Mine handles 2 3 wheelers, a dirt bike, tool box, ice chest, riding gear, 2 adults and 3 kids just fine. Plenty of power even in the summer with the a/c on and all the stuff in it. My truck does get fairly good mileage (around 20-25 mpg on the freeway). But it isn't enclosed. I was thinking about getting a larger delivery type van and converting it for bikes, day trips, camping, etc., but it wouldn't make a very good daily driver.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... you know, I didn't even think about the fumes right inside the vehicle with me. Some sort of ventilation system might be in order, if this is the route I go. I had already planned on some beefier leaf springs in the back and maybe a set of air shocks/bags.

Yeah, those full-size vans are too damn hard to manuever. In May of '99, my dad bought a 15-passenger Chevy Express, and the thing is gargantuan. You could pull four ZR-7's into it no problem. Try navigating it around a Meijer's parking lot, though, and you're in for some trouble. I've driven plenty of Astro vans, though, and they are almost as easy to put around in as my Sonoma. Short wheelbase and good visibility (so long as you have windows).

I found a '96 Astro just a few miles from me that had a fire inside. This means that I'd have to tear out most of the interior, which is fine by me. The outside of the van is minty fresh, and blue. 85000 miles on the drivetrain, which for a 4.3L is just broken in. My only worry is that the fire could have toasted some of the wiring, but I'll look at all that when I go over to this guy's place. Who knows, I might be able to make a little demo for the board, converting your average mini-van into a motorcycle transport.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Well, one of the good things if it did burn any wires, with it gutted (no seats, carpet, etc.) they would be easy to replace and you could put in any accessory lights and plugs you wanted as you were doing it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts