RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Sunday, when Canyondog, Martin and I went riding with the rest of the Canyondogs, we stopped at the famous Rock Store for breakfast. Man, there's a lot of bikes. Like over 100 at least. This is the place to see celebrities, new bikes, custom bikes, wierd bikes, etc.

Anway, aside from the new Honda 600cc (or maybe 650cc) scooter (yes, scooter!), and Arnold Schwarzenegger (sp?) having breakfast 2 tables over from us with his buddies, we saw the brand new Harley Davidson V-Rod.

Well, first off, it looked really small, especially for a Harley. Secondly, it looked even uglier (to me, personal opinion) than it's pictures.

But the biggest shock was when the rider hopped on and rode away - in almost total silence!!! Now, granted, most Harleys are loud because of aftermarket pipes, not stock, but they do make SOME noise. This one sounded like it was in "stealth" or "wisper mode", like on the t.v. show "Airwolf" (remember that one?) or the movie "Blue Thunder".

And it's not like the guy pulled away gently either. He was on the gas real hard, and made sure to get a nice power slide/wiggle out of the rear while pulling away. No noise.

Sounded really strange; almost eerie :eek:

Emrah

·
Registered
374 Posts
I guess after all these years of the Japanese trying to get the Harley look/feel for a Cruiser, Harley decided that it was time to go for the Japanese look/feel for a Cruiser. The only part they left out was the price part of the experience. When I went to my local Harley shop to see about a V-Rod, they laughed and said the list is a mile long and that I'd be lucky if I saw one available two years from now with a US$25,000 sticker on it.

I laughed back and said that's what the Vulcan 1500 Mean Streak is for! :~

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
To me it looked more Porsche than H-D. Not too much Japanese look to it. The tank (where a normal gas tank is) looked kinda different because there was no gas cap. It didn't look bad, but you know it's fake. I think it looked better in person than in the magazines. But it did not sound like a Harley at all.

·
Gold Member
32 Posts
Martin64 said:
To me it looked more Porsche than H-D. Not too much Japanese look to it. The tank (where a normal gas tank is) looked kinda different because there was no gas cap. It didn't look bad, but you know it's fake. I think it looked better in person than in the magazines. But it did not sound like a Harley at all.

Good. :D

Less bikes making the rest of us look er, sound bad.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
That's one thing about a standard bike. You can't fake much on it.......it is what it is......... what you see is what you get......not much to fake on a ZR-7.

·
The Commander
5,020 Posts
If you get a chance, and it's on again, definitely check out the "Making of the V-Rod" show on the Discovery channel. It was on a few weeks ago, and I watched it. They told the entire story of how and why the V-Rod was built. It's pretty fascinating to see how the thing evolved. They started with the VR1000 superbike motor and built a bike around it. They made all kinds of compromises in the design because Willie Davidson had such a big hand in it. I thought it was hillarious to see how their company works: The engineers would come back with some perfect design for some part on the bike, and then Willie would look at it and go "It's not Harley enough, try again!". :rolleyes: It's a ridiculous process! Any Japanese company could have accomplished the same goal in about 1/3 the time and probably deliver a product for 1/3 the price. The only thing that you have to give Harley credit for is that they took the initiative to build it, because they see the market screaming for more "sporty" cruisers. I would never own one, I think it's bugly. And for that kind of money, you can have just about any bike you want. I'll take a new Duc 998 please! :D

Z

·
0 Posts
I finally saw one in person on December 1st....It really is small compared to most Harleys...The radiator really is pretty damn ugly and the headlight? Well, I dunno...I think it will probably not do too well...Most H-D fanatics I know think it's a POS and looks Japanese....Hell, there's no way in hell the Japanese would ever make a POS that looks like the V-ROD. They balance style with performance better than Harley ever did.....Although, I'm glad that Harley is trying to compete performance wise....But isn't it odd that they have to go overseas to get the help (Porshe)?

I'll keep my money and spend it on a 'rice-burner' that I know will dog the **** out of any Harley..:D

Pete

Hey Willie G.! Eat :yell: and kiss my :yell: !!!!

Rice Rules Baby!!!! :laugh:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts