Registered
466 Posts
Chain oiler

I believe Norton invented the automatic chain oiler. :alcy:

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Cracker Jack,

Yes, we both know this from experience dont we? Nortons were notorious for leaking oil from the tachometer drive on the right side of the engine casing. You could always tell a Norton rider by looking at his boots. The right foot was always oil-covered while the left boot was clean as a whistle!

André

p.s. we loved our Nortons regardless!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Norton

That's a fact! Those snarling, cantankerous beasts leave no room for stupid.

Jack

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yes it's oil from the air cleaner if you over oil it. It is also oil from the crankcase that comes through the breather. This breather runs into your airbox. If you have to regularly empty the drain then it may be an indication that your rings on the pistions are gone, obviously as long as you haven't over oilled the filter.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm not sure if supposed to reply on a sticky or make a new thread
I'm unsure of forum rules about this if I'm wrong I apologize but I changed my oil less then 500 miles ago to rotella t3 (dino) 15-40 and my little drip bottle was half full in just a few hundred miles. As I am in California I'm pretty sure I read somewhere the California model had two oil drip bottles correct me if I'm wrong I emptied the one I found under the lefthand side of the rear fender and it was black disgusting oily stuff now it just looks like its half full of brand new oil so did I possibly overfill the bike by a little or are my rings going out or something more serious.
I haven't oiled my air filter ever since I've owned the bike so it shouldn't be that. I haven't emptied it since I saw it half full of new oil looking stuff because I just noticed this morning.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm not sure if supposed to reply on a sticky or make a new thread
I'm unsure of forum rules about this if I'm wrong I apologize but I changed my oil less then 500 miles ago to rotella t3 (dino) 15-40 and my little drip bottle was half full in just a few hundred miles. As I am in California I'm pretty sure I read somewhere the California model had two oil drip bottles correct me if I'm wrong I emptied the one I found under the lefthand side of the rear fender and it was black disgusting oily stuff now it just looks like its half full of brand new oil so did I possibly overfill the bike by a little or are my rings going out or something more serious.
I haven't oiled my air filter ever since I've owned the bike so it shouldn't be that. I haven't emptied it since I saw it half full of new oil looking stuff because I just noticed this morning.
Not sure if their are two bottles or not, I don't have the California version, my bottle's on the rear brake side. Not sure how you got oil back in the bottle so soon, Kinda doubt it's the rings as I would expect to see blue smoke coming out the muffler. I think somebody would have had to rag the daylights out of it. The motor is a race motor design from the 80's. There was a mod on this board about messing with the EGR to get more power, The EGR valves are like little flappers on the front top of the valve cover with some hoses coming off. Might check that first.

Should Look for missing hoses, ports that look like they are missing something. Also are you checking the oil level with the bike on it's centerstand?
The motor as it stands is pretty understressed, probably if you had blueprinted and balanced, you could probably squeeze another 10 or 15 horses out of it, maybe more if you're not worried about longevity.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mines right over the front sprocket
Not exactly sure where the egr valves are but checked out the whole top of the valve cover and everything seems to be plugged in and correct

From my not super mechanical standpoint everything seems good/plugged in everywhere else on the bike.but yes checking oil on centerstand .

I'd much rather have a bike that runs forever then one with a little extra umphh

Upon emptying the drip bottle thing it appeared and smell like gasoline so idk not too worried now I probably just over filled a bit

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just did mine-first time in 20000 miles.Went ahead and took air box apart so I could get in there and wipe it out with a rag...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
when I first got the bike I checked mine and it was full.
checked it at the weekend and just a couple of drops came out so its not something that fill up quick

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
i WISH mine had one....im sick of the tank overflow puking in front of my rear tire..makes for some intresting takeoffs

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
@Shortlife, just make one or buy one.

The hose runs from the bottom of the air box to the "bottle" and a bit more hose with a stopper in it.

Just run the hose into an old headache med bottle or small vitamin bottle? You could also just plug the hose. The bottle is just there to hold any excess that the hose alone can't and prevent it from building up in the air box and being sucked into the carbs.

Having an unplugged hose leads to the potential for it to become a vacuum line and suck up contaminants into the air box.

Motorsports Honda Yamaha Suzuki Kawasaki Motorcycle Dealer ATV Greenville NC Used Sport Bikes Eastern North Carolina Hustler mower, Honda Power equi

Looks to be about $25 for the parts. I'd say make something

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
yeah belive me im looking at making one but right now im working my tail off into the ground on a deadline....looking at making something mounted to the front of the swingarm big enuf to catch atleast 2-3 cups of fuel...its only an issue when i fully fully fuel up and if teh bikes neer full on its side stand

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Umm if you are leaking that much there's a problem. Mine holds maybe 10-20ml tops and rarely fills up. When I cleaned it beginning of last year it had a bit of oil & water in it. It had nothing this year - still clean as a whistle. I'd guess gas in it is a sign your carbs are back filling. That or you are confusing the catch bottle hose with the fuel tank overflow or vent lines. They all run in the same area.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
mine i dont think has anything to do with the traditional catch can..mines the overflow from the fuel tank...i half blame it cause of the bend in the tank....its litterlay only when the last top half gal or so is in there and i take off hard or lean the bike on the side stand...pulling it off the center stand will also make it spit a bunch...its entirely the overflow tube just not sure why it seems exsessive

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
ok, so do you HAVE an oil catch bottle? It may be hidden behind the front peg side bracket thingy rear brake side.

As for the fuel spillage,

There are also 2 hoses from the tank (given the repairs you've obviously had the tank off and I know you know this - it's for the benefit of others who may be reading this.)

The back hose runs to a pipe thru the tank for the drain ring. Depending on how bad the tank was dented (and where) the pipe inside may be broken. That would explain the leak. BUT that should also allow water that gathers around the cap area to drain INTO the tank. You'd notice that in the performance and water floating in the tank.

The back drain hose is fed from tank filler ring.

rain water or overflow spillage etc goes in here: (filler cover & ring removed - allen key in hole to clean it)
fuel drain 9oclock b.jpg

thru a metal pipe inside (sorry no pic)

comes out here:
IMG_4419.JPG

The other hose from the tank is the vent that runs up into the tank via the float gauge area. I'm not sure where it goes inside.

My thoughts are to mark the hoses with some colored tape, paint etc at the outlet and see which one leaks. That's a good starter point anyway.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
thats actualy good thinking about the pipe possibly being cracked but your right..nothing extra in the tank...and nope no catch bottles of any kind hidden anywhere....which seemed strange to me since all the EGR stuff is still in place

when ive got time ill have to try presurising that line and see what i get...right now im on a mad time crunch and running myself ragged with 14-16 hour days working on a project

21 - 40 of 44 Posts