RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been paying the new 2002 Yamaha YZF-R1 very little attention on purpose. After the first few glances I threw at it in various motorcycle magazines, I knew it was one of the coolest sportbikes I'd ever seen. But I've had my heart set on the Daytona for so long, I intentionally put the R1 out of my head.

Well, I'm out of town this weekend on business in Toledo, and there is a motorcycle dealer just down the street from my motel. I just spent about an hour straight staring, in awe, of a just-assembled, silver '02 R1. What a beautiful machine. Let me say again, what a beautiful machine. For a few weeks, I was considering the Suzuki TL1000R as a 955i substitute, just because I can get one so cheap, but the big twin has just been smacked off the podium. Now, the battle for gold is strictly between the Yamaha and the Triumph.

Through my "special" dealer, I can get the new R1 for about $500 more than the Trumpet (remember, my Tennessee dealer was willing to sell me the big T for $9250). So, price will not be a determining factor. The R1 is a better performer, but on the street, I doubt much of a difference between the two will be noticable. The magazines say that ergonomically, the two bikes are almost identical. They are both in the same insurance bracket. So, I think my decision will come down to three main criteria-- looks, sound, and maintenance. These two are pretty damn close, each awesome as hell in their own ways.

I haven't spent as much time looking and drooling over a motorcycle the way I did with this R1 since, well-- since I looked at the Daytona back in September. This is bad.

I'm planning on May or June for the liter-bike purchase. Opinions are welcome.

·
Registered
660 Posts
So hard. They are both just great bikes. If it were me I think I would go with the Daytona. Here in Arizona R1s are everywhere (Okay, my apartment complex is populated by students at MMI so it is not exactly a random sample) but Triumphs are still special. Plus there is just something about British machines (cars or bikes) that just feels good.

·
Gold Member/Community Dad
5,742 Posts
Triple,

You got it bad, dude! You need to get a test ride on both of those things - that might be the only way to sort it out and make that decision easier. Kind of have a soft spot for the new Triumphs. Of course we would like to see ya have both and that 250 Aprilia for trackdays!

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
R1, GSXR1000 etc give you no excuses. If you are not very, very fast you will look like a tosspot. Here they tend to be ridden by kids who are like.....whoa dude trashed my bike, busted my knee, but mum and dad have a new one on order for me. In the UK they got a reputation as widowmakers. Born again bikers throwing them into the scenery at an alarming rate.

The Triumph, Ducati ST4 etc are all rapid bikes. Still very quick and just the thing for embarrassing squids on R1's down your favourite road.

Unless you wanna get "challenged" every time you pull on a helmet, stick with the trumpy.

You will probably end up riding the R1 on the track and the Ninja on the road anyway.

:)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have ridden the Daytona. It was beyond awesome. The sound, the pull-- pure beauty.

I would love to test ride the new R1, and I will the first chance I get. I have to admit, I'll be a little nervous about it.

·
The Commander
5,020 Posts
I was just at the local Yam dealer yesterday getting a new helmet. That silver R1 is one of the coolest looking bikes I've ever seen. Like I mentioned previously, it would look great in a display case right in the middle of my living room! I could just stare at it for hours...... Fortunately, I'm old enough to know that I don't need to ride one! ;)

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
From the desk of Jarel....

To all, I am offically an old fart.
:laugh:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jarel, what's the fastest bike you've ridden so far? I've boarded a few 600's, a few Buells, and by far that Daytona has been the quickest bike I've ever ridden. Once you've actually experienced that kind of power, you'd be amazed at what you suddenly "need." :)

So how much time did you spend looking at the R1? I think the Trumpet has a slight edge on it (for me, anyway) when it comes to looks, but that doesn't mean the R1 is anything less than hypnotising. All those edges and sharp lines, it is truly a work of art. They had the new CBR954RR and a GSX-R1000 sitting on either side of it, and there just wasn't any comparison. I think the R1 looks smaller than the GSXR, even though it is a little heavier. The 954 is positively tiny, though, it looked smaller than the F4i sitting right next to it.

·
The Commander
5,020 Posts
Well, the absolute fastest would have to be the hopped-up VMax that a buddy of mine had in the early 90's. Like the VMax needs to be hopped up!:rolleyes: That thing was a menace! He used to drag race it at the local strip, so he had it geared even lower than stock. It would literally rip your arms out of their sockets. Most relevant to this discussion would be the CBR929 I rode last summer. I definitely understand the adrenalin rush. My only point was that while I had the adrenalin rush, I had simultaneous visions of myself as a bloody splotch on the highway. It would be impossible for me to own a bike like that and not get into some sort of trouble eventually. My opinion is that you need to be a 10+ year rider with substantial track experience to make use of a liter bike.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would certainly say that the track rider with 10+ years of experience would definitely have an initial advantage over this 3-year rookie with NO track experience, but I think I'll close the gap after a while. Coming from a high performance automotive background, I have a great deal of respect for horsepower, and luckily I was blessed with excellent coordination. It's all about being careful, and only pushing it far as you can go, not as far as the bike can go. It may be a while before I can take full advantage of the liter-bike's potential, but I'm not worried about my safety.

I'll just have to take it easy... keep it below 165 for the first two weeks... ;)

N

·
0 Posts
Hey Triple, I'd get the Yamaha. If you're going to spend roughly 10 Grand on a bike, you want something that is going to be relatively free of wierd problems and strange quirks. I had a chance to get a brand new leftover Sprint RS for only about $1200 more than my ZR-7, but I chose the Kawi for reliability reasons.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I agree. Check out the latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News. They just did a big survey on Triumph owners and as they put it the results were "very black and white". Great machines, horrible customer service and parts availablity.

Matt Ream

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Jarel,

Very well said!

"My only point was that while I had the adrenalin rush, I had simultaneous visions of myself as a bloody splotch on the highway. It would be impossible for me to own a bike like that and not get into some sort of trouble eventually"

I feel the same way. The ZR is fast enough.

Triple,

Here is a link to some great sound files for the R1 & R6. The R6 sounds wicked! :eek:

http://www.over.co.jp/Bindex1.HTM

Andy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts