RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

321 - 340 of 373 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #321
Traxxon doesn't use progressive that I know of, I wouldn't buy them in that case. I think there's a thread on here somewhere with someone's review of Sonic springs, but I'm afraid I can't be of much help.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I just saw a pic of some springs on ebay from Traxxion and yes they look progressive but dont take my word for it, go check them out yourself. I had Sonic Springs in my old forks and I thought there would be a problem due to the lower price. Nothing at all wrong with them though.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
Traxxon Spring Kits

Their ones for sportbikes are not; maybe you were looking at a different kit?

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
Sonic springs are very good quality. I'd use them anytime, anywhere.

In general a progressively wound spring completly sucks on a motorcycle. Progressive means it gets stiffer as you compress it. Sounds awesome, except all that happens is you feel like the fork, or shock, has locked up. They usually start off too soft, and end u too hard. It can work, but the rate has to be perfect for you.

Especially out back. Keep in mind, the linkage makes the system progressive, anyway, so you really dont want to throw in a progressive spring. Progressive springs worked well in the two shock, 1:1 leverage days.

Its confusing because "progressive suspension" is also a suspension company. They may, or may not use a progressive wound spring.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
My simple understanding is that progressive springs are better for street riding as it helps the suspension with big jolts. On the track, you don't want progressive because it is not needed (unless your track really sucks) but also lacks consistency. Also, I have not heard anything negative towards Sonic.

Edit: Much easier to just use what other websites say.

http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/straight_vs_prog_tech_article.php

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Its confusing because "progressive suspension" is also a suspension company. They may, or may not use a progressive wound spring.
I believe the Progressive Suspension is called that because they were one of the first to sell progressively wound springs. I used to buy them back in the 80s and all their fork springs were progressively wound (but I'm just guessing here....).

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I had Sonic Springs in my old forks and I thought there would be a problem due to the lower price. Nothing at all wrong with them though.
Did you notice an improvement in handling? The roads are very uneven here and I notice that at speed the front end is 'chattering' over the bumps, most likely because, as you pointed out to me, the front is over sprung....and have you or anyone you know replaced the rear spring on the standard shock? If so - what results and what brand of spring...thanks to all who have replied so far.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Did you notice an improvement in handling? The roads are very uneven here and I notice that at speed the front end is 'chattering' over the bumps, most likely because, as you pointed out to me, the front is over sprung....and have you or anyone you know replaced the rear spring on the standard shock? If so - what results and what brand of spring...thanks to all who have replied so far.
Well when I changed the springs the bike definitely felt better than when I had the stock springs. Keep in mind I also am really light, so a change in spring weight is going to be a bigger different than someone around 190-200 lbs. The bike felt a bit less harsh over bumps but I dont think it changed handling in the sense tht it made turn in any better/faster, although I guess theoretically with softer springs and while braking, the front compresses easier and so turns in faster due to the change in geometry. I also had much less experience riding then, so I may not have known exactly what I should be looking for at the time I changed them.

I do not know of anyone changing the spring, but before I did the swap to an Ohlins KA906, I did try a versys shock, which is around 12mm longer, and sprung for someone 40-50 lbs heavIER (dont quote me on that weight though).

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
I used sonic springs in my sv 650. Same basic fork as the ninja 650. They are fine quality and within the range they should be.

"Progressive wound springs" act like this...If you start them at the correct rate, they ramp up and become too stiff, too fast...remember this is just what they do. Start soft, then get stiff, artificially fast. We dont have ten or 12 inches of travel to work with..we have 4-6, at most.

The only time they work as well, or better, is when you are on a super smooth surface that is not using the suspension to absorb bumps.

You end up riding the curve just where it ramps up and gets stiff. The early, soft, compliant section is blown through in sag.

Poor explanation so far..sorry....here goes again...

Our magic fork..push 1 lb of force, it moves 1mm

2lbs equal 2mm
3lbs equal 3mm

25lb equal 25mm

We'll call this straight rate

Progressive is like

1lb equal to 1mm
2lb equal to 1.5mm

25lb might equal 17mm

this is just a demo fork. Not reality.

If that rate of added stiffness matched, it just might work. It rarely does.

Notice, we do thsi out back with our linkage.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Not really a fork swap question, but has anyone had any experience with Sonic fork springs?
Changed out my stock springs with .8 sonic springs and fresh oil, absolutely best bang for the buck in terms of upgrading the front end. Sonic springs are just as good as any other springs, regardless of how much the competition wants to charge you for their springs. If you are unsure about sonic, email Rich and have a conversation with him about fork springs and you should be convinced. Sonicsprings is the standard source for fork springs over at svrider.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Changed out my stock springs with .8 sonic springs and fresh oil, absolutely best bang for the buck in terms of upgrading the front end. Sonic springs are just as good as any other springs, regardless of how much the competition wants to charge you for their springs. If you are unsure about sonic, email Rich and have a conversation with him about fork springs and you should be convinced. Sonicsprings is the standard source for fork springs over at svrider.
Thanks - I'm pretty sure I will go with them as they have good comments on other bike forums, but I wanted feedback from 650 riders before going ahead and buying.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
They send you tons of stickers with yor order as well.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #336
And who doesn't love them some stickers!~

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Fencingdude, you mentioned a bad experience with the brake fluid reservoir you bought? What exactly was the problem? It leaked? If so, where? I remember it in this thread somewhere but couldnt find it. What was the solution?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #339
Fencingdude, you mentioned a bad experience with the brake fluid reservoir you bought? What exactly was the problem? It leaked? If so, where? I remember it in this thread somewhere but couldnt find it. What was the solution?
With the original one I bought, the thing just leaked- no telling from where, it may have been from multiple places. It wasn't something fixable, and basically the whole thing was covered with a thin layer of brake fluid a day after cleaning it.

I just bought a new one, with the same design as OEM reservoirs (Just with a cool cap and bracket). With that one, the rubber tube included would seep brake fluid, so I had to buy the OEM tube and bracket to stop that, but now it works just fine.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
With the original one I bought, the thing just leaked- no telling from where, it may have been from multiple places. It wasn't something fixable, and basically the whole thing was covered with a thin layer of brake fluid a day after cleaning it.

I just bought a new one, with the same design as OEM reservoirs (Just with a cool cap and bracket). With that one, the rubber tube included would seep brake fluid, so I had to buy the OEM tube and bracket to stop that, but now it works just fine.
The new one is plastic reservoir? I am afraid one of the sub $20 reservoirs from overseas is going to leak. I have grown to like the Rizoma reservoirs on my ZX6R and will probably take them off the bike when I sell it ( I will be stationed overseas again) but I dont want to put bad parts on the bike before I sell it.

321 - 340 of 373 Posts