RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All this talk of winterizing got me looking around and I stumbled across this article on Popular Mechanics about alcohol in gas:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/alternative-fuel/biofuels/e15-gasoline-damage-engine

I've noticed ethanol doesn't store as well as straight gas but apparently there's more. Per the article, it will damage components in older fuel systems. The alcohol will oxidize in the tank turning into a, "brown glop" in as little as 30 days. And when the alcohol reaches it's saturation point with water (condensation in the fuel tank) it and the water separate, falling to the bottom of the tank as incombustible mixture of alcohol and water.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yep, we had a long discussion about this in the 650 forum. Here in Florida, you can't buy gas without ethanol in it.. and it breaks my lawn mower at least once a year.

I do know a place that sells "recreational gas" with no ethanol though. I try to fill up there when i can.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Yep, we had a long discussion about this in the 650 forum. Here in Florida, you can't buy gas without ethanol in it.. and it breaks my lawn mower at least once a year.

I do know a place that sells "recreational gas" with no ethanol though. I try to fill up there when i can.
^With the amount of water in Florida, I'm surprised they don't have "marine gas" everywhere. Here, in Oregon, they are only supposed to allow fill ups on non road going vehicles, but I never had any problem pulling right up to the non-ethanol pump and filling up. I bought a couple 5 gallon cans so I can always have some "clear gas" on hand in case I can't make it to one of the "marine gas" stations.

With the long cold wet winters we have around here I've definitely noticed a significant amount of "cruding up" the fuel systems on my bikes over the years and try to run them regularly, keep clear gas in them, or use fuel stabilizers.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I just adda small amount of sta-bil with each fill up. A tank doesn't ever sit for more thana day for me though.
That is probably the best thing to do with the fuel, and we have no way of knowing how long the stuff sat around before we pupmped or how much they really put in the gasoline.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...Here, in Oregon, they are only supposed to allow fill ups on non road going vehicles,...
I noticed the article mentions modern injection systems don't require alcohol (or MTBE for the matter) to burn more efficiently, but we still don't have a choice at the pump.

use the new blue stable for alcohol based fuel.
That's the Marine Formula Sta-bil, right? I saw that recommended often by posters on the bobistheoilguy forum.

From Sta-bil's site:
America's #1 Selling Marine Fuel Additive Brand!
BEST Ethanol Blended Fuel Enhancer!
More than FOUR TIMES the Fuel System Cleaner than in Regular STA-BIL
DOUBLE the corrosion preventer than in Regular STA-BIL
Prevents corrosion from moisture & water attraction
Improves marine engine performance YEAR-ROUND, not just for seasonal storage

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I read about the terrible gas we have nowadays, but I don't see any effects in my stuff. I have a chipper/shredder that is only used one a year to shred leaves and it starts right up with the gas that was left in it. Same with a rough terrain mower. These are stored in an unheated shed. I also have an emergency generator that I put Sta-Bil in the gas and swap out the gas once a year after running it for awhile. It doesn't start any easier then the other two engines.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Ha, yeah I do. Loads of people use it, and stabil, and probably a host of other fuel stabilizers. I'm not familiar with the effects of ethanol, never been a problem here with storing small engines (lawn mower, etc) as long as a fuel stabilizer is used.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Ha, yeah I do. Loads of people use it, and stabil, and probably a host of other fuel stabilizers. I'm not familiar with the effects of ethanol, never been a problem here with storing small engines (lawn mower, etc) as long as a fuel stabilizer is used.
:2far:Isn't THAT the problem with ethanol?

The more I think about it the more ridiculous adding ethanol is. Specially from a "green" standpoint. They add something that makes you burn more fuel, and then you have to add more products to the fuel (stabilizers) for the sake of the environment?:2far:

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Just saying, that's what's always worked for me. I already noted I am not familiar with the effects of ethanol.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yep.

Aint ever let me down.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Just saying, that's what's always worked for me. I already noted I am not familiar with the effects of ethanol.
I'm not totally familiar with the detrimental effects, but believe mostly what you are stabilizing (with the stabilizer) is the ethanol portion of regular gas, concerning the fairly short storage periods we are talking about. I do know some engines will have more problems than others when the ethanol starts breaking down. I suspect that fuel injected engines would be more "at risk" than carburated engines.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm not totally familiar with the detrimental effects, but believe mostly what you are stabilizing (with the stabilizer) is the ethanol portion of regular gas, concerning the fairly short storage periods we are talking about. I do know some engines will have more problems than others when the ethanol starts breaking down. I suspect that fuel injected engines would be more "at risk" than carburated engines.
I think you are sadly mistaken.

In a Carb system you have fuel sitting in the bowl, destroying everything for months. I've actually never had a problem with a fuel injected system and ethanol, however, i would assume most of my fuel injected equipment is designed for it.

I should go take a picture of my mowers carb to show you what it does.. i may do that tomorrow.

Rubber is disintegrated, metal is horribly corroded. even after cleaning, it's never the same.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I think you are sadly mistaken.

In a Carb system you have fuel sitting in the bowl, destroying everything for months. I've actually never had a problem with a fuel injected system and ethanol, however, i would assume most of my fuel injected equipment is designed for it.

I should go take a picture of my mowers carb to show you what it does.. i may do that tomorrow.

Rubber is disintegrated, metal is horribly corroded. even after cleaning, it's never the same.
I don't know about being "sadly" mistaken, the only carberator I own is on my pressure washer. So if ethanol does more damage to carbs than F.I. I'd say I'm "happily" mistaken, haha.

I was mostly basing my opinion on the theory that the more sophisticated system would suffer more from broken down fuel. Good point about most fuel injection systems being designed for ethanol though, didn't really consider that before.

I kinda have to wonder what the difference would be whether the gas turns to junk in the gas tank - vs- tuns to junk in the carbs(or F.I.), it's still junk.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts