RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The relay kit that is supposed to be required to operate the gear indicator and accessory socket has been on back-order from Kawasaki now for months. So I decided to see what that relay does. I did some checking at the relay socket and all that relay does is to come on with the ignition, to reduce the load to the ignition switch.

So I went down to the local auto parts shop and bought a larger automotive relay for around five bucks and used spade terminals into the stock socket to the larger relay so I didn't have to modify the bike. Now I have a perfectly working gear indicator, which gets it's power from the relay.

For the 12 volt accessory socket, I want it hot at all times. So instead of using the stock wire for that, I ran my own to the always 12 volts (so no key is required).

But I still used the wire that is supposed to go to the accessory socket. That now runs my Garmin 390LM GPS with TPMS, as I still have a choice to keep it on when I turn off the ignition for a gas stop or whatever.

So now I consider my Versys completed with everything I want added--including the centerstand and decent dual horns (added a relay for that too). And I always wire my horns to work when the key is out.

When the stock relay finally come in, I will just throw it in my junk box. I will leave my Versys as it is.

-Don- SSF, CA

·
Registered
1 Posts
This out of stock relay has been frustrating for me, too. My service guy tells me that the relay will be back in stock at the end of November 2016 and that he should have one for me early December.
I've been waiting for this the get all of my accessories installed since July!
Glad you got everything sorted on your bike.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
How did it all connect?

The relay kit that is supposed to be required to operate the gear indicator and accessory socket has been on back-order from Kawasaki now for months. So I decided to see what that relay does. I did some checking at the relay socket and all that relay does is to come on with the ignition, to reduce the load to the ignition switch.

So I went down to the local auto parts shop and bought a larger automotive relay for around five bucks and used spade terminals into the stock socket to the larger relay so I didn't have to modify the bike. Now I have a perfectly working gear indicator, which gets it's power from the relay.

For the 12 volt accessory socket, I want it hot at all times. So instead of using the stock wire for that, I ran my own to the always 12 volts (so no key is required).

But I still used the wire that is supposed to go to the accessory socket. That now runs my Garmin 390LM GPS with TPMS, as I still have a choice to keep it on when I turn off the ignition for a gas stop or whatever.

So now I consider my Versys completed with everything I want added--including the centerstand and decent dual horns (added a relay for that too). And I always wire my horns to work when the key is out.

When the stock relay finally come in, I will just throw it in my junk box. I will leave my Versys as it is.

-Don- SSF, CA
Just bought a 2016 Versys and need to put in power connections, gear shift indicator be nice. Haven't found good wiring diagrams to know what to connect to what. Any way of getting a more detailed description of what you did?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts