RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the guggenheim las vegas opened to the public this past weekend and their first exhibit is the art of the motorcycle. i saw this show in new york a few years ago and it was fabulous! it's going to be there for a few months as far as i know. the guggenheim las vegas is housed in the venetian hotel. if you're in vegas or going to be there then check it out.

scott

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
I am actually planning a trip there next weekend (10/20). Myself and a friend from work are taking the scenic (read: little to no interstate) route leaving sometime on the morning of the 20th and returning on the 22nd. The current route I have planned has only 23 miles of interstate on it. It should be fun. :)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
enjoy the ride. i'm too busy otherwise i'd love to join you. could you post your route so i could take it later? i've got friends in vegas so i go out there from time to time and i'd love a route that's not interstate and maybe has a litle les wind :)

scott

·
Registered
286 Posts
I will scan it and post it that way. It is a bit convoluted and it would be quite a post to describe it all. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well, after talking to my buddy, who has never taken a bike trip, we modified the route. We are going direct on the way up and semi-scenic on the way back. Now lets see if I can figure out how to post a picture. :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hey Mike,
I checked the url you entered for the image code, either it's a dynamic ip that changes all the time or the port isn't being forwarded, because the rest of the image code is right.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well I am just pulling it off my home website. The IP is static and it shows up for me. Although it is coming off my computer. I can get to my web server from any place I have tried so I know for sure that the port is open. Here is the URL that I put in the image tag, try clicking on it and see what you get.

http://24.21.23.230:750/Vegas_route.jpg

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
SPEEDVISION aired a segment on this Tuesday. Lots of very interesting bikes. I think it would be worth a trip to see it.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
i'm going to be out there the first weekend in november. i''ve already seen the show some years back in new york but i'm still anxious to see it again. i'll let you know what i think, post some pics if they allow photography. i know the guggenheim new york does not allow photography in the gallery. for anyone who's interested and can't make it out there there's a pretty nice site at www.guggenheim.com

also, some books, cds and other stuff available online
http://www.guggenheim.org/cgi/index.pl?http://shop.store.yahoo.com/guggenheim/artofmot1.html

scott

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just got back from Vegas this week. The exhibition was incredible. Check it out on line and they take you on a tour. www.guggenheim.com. Jarel, I think you will like this. They had some amazing bikes there. If anyone lives near Vegas, you need to go. I liked the old Indians.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Missed Out

I went to see the Guggenheim in Vegas. I was there one day before it was opened to the public. :mecry: At least I had a 1200 mile round trip on my ZR-7S to get there and back from Sacramento. Now I am going to have to ride back again! I hear it is a great exhibit that is worth seeing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for the links.

I will have the poster of the '69 Mach III (dad had one) and the Britten(pure lust on my part). Mom bought me the book for Christmas last year. I'd love to see it in the flesh.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have been out of town almost constantly since I got back from Vegas. I actually had to boogie back to SD so I could catch a plane. Anyway, I went there on 10-23 and it was great. I wish they had some benches scattered around so that I could have sat and stared at a few bikes for a while. Art of the Motorcycle is an absolutely amazing show that must be seen.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i made it out there this past weekend. it was great! i was really impressed with the museum itself. the bikes were incredible!

although it wasn't specifically a historical exhibit it was really interesting to see the evolution of the motorcycle. the oldest bikes were really just motorized bicycles (pedals included!). then there was a period where design went in several directions, different motor placement, frame designs and layouts were tried. it's wonderful to marvel at the variety! the next period had a more standardized layout with differences in subtle things like controls. think early harley's and indians. then it moved into a more modern, recognizable desigh but there were offshoots: scooters, off road bikes, some new racing specific models. then into more modern stuff of the near decades but still interesting. the first katana looke like some japanese copy of a sporty bmw.

the architecture of the guggenheim new york is unbelievable but las vegas was no disappointment. the museum is a giant room and they built some huge props to accent the exhibit. they had several places where clips and snippets from different motorcycle movies were playing in loops and some "huge" black & white pictures on the walls. according to one of the museum attendants, there were more bikes on display now (130) than there had been at the new york show (112).

the one disappointing thing was that there are two separate museums: hermitage guggenheim museum adn guggenheim las vegas. you have to purchas full price admission to each of them. i would like to have seen the fine art in the hermitage collection but i wasn't going to spend another $15 per person.

scott

1 - 15 of 15 Posts