RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
I really like the looks of the new 650 buuuuuuuut Yamaha is calling my name with the redesign of the FZ09.

·
Registered
20 Posts
SAPD911: Can you feel the loss of the three horsepower, or is that offset by the fact the bike is forty (or so) pounds lighter?
Can't really tell, however, I have not driven an older ninja 650. Definately faster than my 07 SV 650S. I really like the power, not crazy power like my R1, just enough for me.

1st mod was spindle spools. FYI, the bar ends come stock with this bike, at least my KTM has them. Trying to buy a fender elim. kit, but nothing out there right now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've put a deposit on a KRT coloured ninja to replace my W800.Love my W800 and this has been a hard decision,however as beautiful as my Dub is it just feels a bit vague while riding in a spirited fashion on British secondary roads.Had a test ride on a Z650 and I was smitten.The handling is sublime. Why the Ninja ,and not the Z? Well I think the Ninja will offer better protection from the wind.I am buying this bike as a light weight tourer.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I sat on one the other day and now I hate myself! If I had the money I would get one.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I think the Ninja will offer better protection from the wind.I am buying this bike as a light weight tourer.
If you mean wind protection, the full fairing will help a little, but not so much for your head. If you plan on touring at speeds above 50 mph you might need a better windscreen. None seem to be available at the moment. The Kawasaki tall windscreen is unavailable:
https://www.kawasaki.com/Accessories/Vehicle/EX650KHFL/999940811

But the full fairing is what has helped me this winter in dealing with all of our SoCal rain. I have managed to have to ride home in rain or drizzle more times this season than all my previous 9 years of riding. As long as I'm not sitting at a stop in the rain I can get home after about 20 minutes and my legs will be pretty dry.

I would like to know if I removed the lower fairings if this would change. I bet it would.
I also ride with a tank bag and ride tucked down, pressed lightly against it, which keeps the front of my jacket pretty dry.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you jump on revzilla you can find yoshi fender eliminator or on ebay too.Im still waiting for cheaper cowls so far 300+$ for a KRT version.Disappointed though that there isnt a slip on option :( also in a need of assistance from US members here.I have the AUS version of the ninja.Now here the 650L comes with a throttle restriction.So far i have been unsuccessful in finding the ECU restriction.Do US owners have the throttle restriction too and would anybody here be able to upload pics of how their under seat section looks,for the sake of comparison.Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would love a white one, then you could leave it plain or add your own graphics or skin.

Heres the orange:

I also like how they left the seat like the current model but made the tail higer to make it look sportier.

Notice the bolt in the faring is prime for sliders. It looks well thought out. I hope that Akrapovic exhaust makes it out for that model, it looked really good.
I just got one like this one. Same color, etc etc and they are awesome bikes. I really enjoy everything about them. Especially the new ergonomics of the bike :righton:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
It looks like the swingarm doesn't have provision for installing bobbins for a work stand. With no center stand, how are you going to get the rear wheel off the ground? A work stand that lifts directly on the swingarm is going to have problems with that arching right side.

·
Banned
2,525 Posts
It looks like the swingarm doesn't have provision for installing bobbins for a work stand. With no center stand, how are you going to get the rear wheel off the ground? A work stand that lifts directly on the swingarm is going to have problems with that arching right side.
Any possible using axle sider sppols? I know this could mean buying different stands than what you have but it happens sometimes.

You could also get a pivot stand, something like the ABBA SuperBike stand. A full ABBA SB stand setup (lift rear & front, $325) will set you back about the same as front/rear Pitbull setup ($300) but will let you much more in depth maitnenance. There's a lot of options out there, some really cool options but the ABBA is probably about the most affordable and flexibile and also breaks down for compact storage. There's even a $200 optional roller stand which would let you move the bike around with no rear wheel.

There's a Hindle (not to be confused with the exhaust people) pivot stand ($250) but it only lifts the rear wheel, and doesn't break down at all so it takes more room to store. There's a lot of stands when you get into $400-900 range that can do some really amazing things.

For something as simple as oiling the chain you might even consider something like the HF cleaning stand, usually 20-25$ and compact enough to even take on a trip.

My impresison of the provisions most swingarms have/have had weren't really intended for the purposes we used them such as mounting spools for stands. I'm not sure what they were really ever intended for my guess is they're really a byproduct of manufacturing.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Axle slider spools don't work for getting the rear wheel off. I guess it's all part of the modern approach of DON'T do your own maintenance with either cars or motorcycles.......take it to the dealer and pay out the nose.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Looks just forward of the rear axle. There's a small bit sticking off the swingarm near the edge of the brake rotor. Threaded hole for spools.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did anybody here put any clip ons on it yet?If yes which one and what are your general impressions?

·
Registered
10 Posts
It has threaded holes for spools on both sides of swingarm

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Some good, long-anticipated improvements there.
It is a much better upgrade for existing 1st and 2nd Gen Ninja 650 (650R) owners over the 3rd gen, assuming the ride position hasn't been compromised.
Sat on one and my knees felt cramped on the tank. Lucky the dealer had a good used 2014 and that feels perfect and is now mine. (6'2" 188cm with long legs)
Ah, the seat is 1/2" lower, that would do it.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I took a peak under the front of a 2017. Where is the coolant reservoir, or reserve tank? My 2009 has a big plastic "canteen" for the hot coolant to pour into.
Did they move it somewhere?

·
Registered
507 Posts
I finally got to see one in real life--the dealer brought in an orange ABS model. It's comfortable to me (5'7" and 160 lbs), and I think it looks good. I'm still trying to figure out where would be the best place for my Scottoiler reservoir to fit, but most everything else I need should be easy. A magnet will stick to the quasi-clipons, which means that they are heated grip friendly steel and not heat robbing aluminum. And my existing luggage appears to fit, but I may need a new tank bag due to the sloping tank. Yep, this is a sign of temptation.

And since I have been thinking about lockable hard bags, I emailed Shad luggage USA with the question whether there any plans to fit the 3P System to the US version of the 2017 Kawasaki Ninja 650? The response is "Yes sir, they are actually arriving to our warehouse today in a new shipment from factory." 3P SYSTEM Here's a review: SHAD SH36 Side Case Review - webBikeWorld

The temptation might become overwhelming if the bike is available in red next year.

Edit: I forgot to mention that it looks difficult to adjust the preload on the rear suspension. some sort of side panel probably has to be removed.

I'd also like to do a test ride to determine whether the stock suspension has been improved over the 1st gen. stock suspension. After upgrading my suspension, I don't think I want to go back to a poor suspension.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The Kawasaki dealer near me had a demo day so I stopped in. Sat on the new 650 and felt cramped compared to my '07. I didn't bother doing the test ride (would have been a Z650 anyway) since I couldn't get comfortable just sitting. I guess if I ever update I'll be looking for a 3rd gen. Still a very nice bike but not for me to ride.

61 - 80 of 112 Posts