RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Banned
2,525 Posts
At least as far as bodywork Kaw's really going towards the sporty side of things with the 650 and 1000. Looks great from here. She's not too shabby either!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Jaw dropping, with Nissin calipers, gear indicator and a slipper clutch its a great improvement. Also looks like the shifter has a linkage arm now instead of the standard shift lever.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Some good, long-anticipated improvements there.
It is a much better upgrade for existing 1st and 2nd Gen Ninja 650 (650R) owners over the 3rd gen, assuming the ride position hasn't been compromised.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Wait a second, did they really do away with showing the off-set rear shock? I thought that was a huge signature with the 650. Not a huge deal to me honestly, but I always thought it looked really cool

·
Registered
507 Posts
Great catch, Ebinho.

The full specs are already up at the Kawasaki UK page. It looks like part of the weight reduction was gained through lazyness, they reduced the gas tank size slightly, by about .2 US gallons if Google did my math correctly. Perhaps the gain in mileage will offset the loss of gas, but Kawi blew the opportunity to increase range by not giving us the 4.5 gallon tank from the Ninja 300.

I'm going to have to wait for them to arrive in person to determine whether my Kriega US 40 seat bags and Ortlieb low profile saddle bags will fit securely.

I like the improved seat height. But the bars now seem to be less easily modified. I hope that the clip ons are heated-grip friendly steel instead of heat-robbing aluminum.

My OCD will be kicking in soon.

·
Registered
137 Posts
This would be the only sub 430 pound, 65 whp, faired street bike in USA if I am not mistaken? (Until Yamaha throws fairings on the FZ-07 if they ever do.)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wait a second, did they really do away with showing the off-set rear shock? I thought that was a huge signature with the 650. Not a huge deal to me honestly, but I always thought it looked really cool
Looks like they went with a central mounted rear shock.

·
Registered
493 Posts
425 lbs is super light weight, verse 3rd gen ninja was 465 lbs. That's a huge weight reduction. Trellis frame and new aluminum swing arm was a lot of it.

Appears they addressed a lot of the short comings from the last model, weak brakes, ergo, weight, limited instruments, and power refinement of the twin engine (IMO - as I owned a 2012 Ninja 650 for a few years). Best part its still narrow and they have always been super reliable - as so many of the new bikes have fat tanks that push your legs outward and gremlins on engines/electronics. Plus, the new look is awesome - looks slick in the green/black.

Can't wait to see it in the USA dealerships and take one for a test ride. Been in the market looking at a XRS 900, FJ-09 and the FZ-07. Great power and looks from Yamaha, but FJ/FZ 09 have had a lot of engine and electronic issues - possibly due to a new engine and platform 1st/2nd year gitters. To me the FZ07 was just too small and twitchy with its short wheel base. The FJ 07 addressed this, but no word if it's coming to the USA.

This new ninja appears to be a nicely refined package. It's about time Kawasaki!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Looks pretty good, how does she ride? Much sportier, that should help sales.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I was really hoping they would add cruise control, something every touring style bike should have.
Doesn't look much like a touring bike to me. I think it's always been multi purpose and capable of touring but not specific to that genre IMO.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Damn. After watching that video I kinda want one. Has to be another color than green though...and not yellow...or red.

·
Registered
493 Posts
1 - 20 of 112 Posts