RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been using any sort of tank protector for their bike?? Either on the sides to protects the friction of your legs or right near where the seat meets the tank. If possible I would love to wrap my ZX-9 in bubble wrap but that would look pretty stupid, so I've put a pair of frame sliders on and I'm intersted in protecting the tank. I don't like the look of tank bras, and so far I think I prefer the clear protectors.

Matt Ream

·
Dirty Dawg
1,336 Posts
I have a magnetic pad to protect the top of the tank from my jacket. I haven't noticed any scuffing due to my legs. The pad is about 3 x 5 inches and was about $15 at my dealer. You heat it up with a hair dryer and stick it on. And it peels right off when the time comes to buy another bike. What year is your ZX-9? I've spent quite a bit of time at my local dealer lately lusting after the new '02 ZX-9. Maybe someday . . .
--Tim

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tank protector made by TankSlapper is exactly what I think I want, but I was hoping that maybe someone else has tried it already, I hate being the guinea pig. I've thuroughly (sp?) read their website and it seems easy enough, maybe I'll give them a call to pick their brains some more. Plus, it's really cheap.

I bought a leftover 2001 ZX-9 that was still in a crate sitting in the dealer's warehouse. I've read that Kawasaki actually tweaked the 2002 ZX-9 a bunch, but what made the sale for me was that the 2001 model comes with a single color paint scheme, and guess what it's called "Candy Lime Green"!!! It really reminds me of the ZR-7 only it's... green? Also there are no silly looking graphics on the fairing. I never had a problem with my legs rubbing against the tank on my ZR-7 either, but the ZX's tank is so much bigger I would like to take the extra precaution. Would a few thick coats of wax do the trick?? Like three or four??

Thanks everyone!

Matt Ream

ps. I keep trying to attach a photo of my new ZX-9, but I guess it's too big, any other way for me to show you guys??

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi,
I've just joined this community and so I'm sorry this post is so late after the original, but I thought people might be interested...

I noticed the back part of my tank was marking up where my leathers rub up against it. I hasten to add that this rubbing is purely accidental and I get no thrill from it whatsoever - heh heh. Anyway, I decided I needed a tank protector and came across this aluminium (aluminum) weave version which I thought looked cool. Here are a couple of pics.

If anyone else is interested, you can order it from MPS (www.thefastone.co.uk) or from the makers:

http://www.motrax.co.uk/accessories/real aluminium product page.htm

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i prefer the stick on or small magenetic type tank protectors. i've even seen some stick ons that are clear. if you put a few coats of wax on you'll probably be able to take these off later with a hair dryer and not too much fuss.

if you're worried about your zipper then one of these should do the trick. if you're hanging off and transitioning from side to side a lot then you'll need full tank protection of some kind. neither type of wear will be significantly stopped no matter how much wax you use.

scott :)

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
I just use a small generic carbon look pad on the rear of the tank. The glue dissolves in petrol/gas tho, so you need to be careful when filling it up.

If you want to protect the knee indents, you can apply clear contact. Same stuff as kids apply to school books. If you smooth it down properly its damn near invisible.

:)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
do both! put on a tanks slapper and then stick the aluminum one over it :)

just kidding. neither is too expensive and the tank slapper is definitely easier to remove so i would try that first.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Matt

Sorry if I added to your dilemma, but here's a really close up pic of the aluminum weave that might help you decide.

Malc

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I think Scott is right, if I go with the tank slapper first, it's inexpensive and it isn't permanent.

Options are good.

Matt Ream

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
that aluminum does look pretty funky! let us know what you think of the tankslapper when you get it.

also, a note to eveyrone: make sure your tank is CLEAN before you apply any tank protector. any grit underneath it when installed acts like a little teeny piece of sandpaper and wears a hole in the paint as the protector moves around ever so slightly.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jarel,

One of my main concerns is putting something on my tank and then not being able to take it off. What is this "removable adhesive" that you are talking about??

Matt Ream

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
Now That's a picture ! Wow, actual size !

Matt has a map of the United States. When he opens it up, it blankets the entire country.

:laugh:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts