RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my buzz/rattle is emanating directly from within the gauge cluster, Ive read where some owners have removed the cluster, taken off the top, and applied some sticky tape to silence the rattle inside the cluster, which seems to have worked.. One person even found the tabs that held the LCD in place had worn down from the vibrations, and by supergluing the panel to the tabs, fixed the problem.

In my case, Id like to investigate, however Ive had two small issues. First is that after having disassembled the front inside fairing having the cluster loose and ready to remove, I cant seem to separate the electrical connector thats connnected to the back of the cluster.. Whats the trick? It doesnt seem to want to just pull off, and I dont want to force it.

And second, how do you take the cover off cluster itself? Id really hate to crack it or break a tab!

Thanks.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Someone posted a YouTube video on this (removal and padding). Be careful, to much padding may break one or both of the instrument panel bolts.

Part one of a YouTube fix...may give you some insight and color.

2013 Ninja 650 Instrument Cluster Rattle Fix Part 1 of 3 - YouTube

Buzzing is a staple of then 650 twin...I just ignore it and keep riding. Knowing that I most likely will do more damage than Good, trying to fix it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Someone posted a YouTube video on this (removal and padding). Be careful, to much padding may break one or both of the instrument panel bolts.

Part one of a YouTube fix...may give you some insight and color.

2013 Ninja 650 Instrument Cluster Rattle Fix Part 1 of 3 - YouTube

Buzzing is a staple of then 650 twin...I just ignore it and keep riding. Knowing that I most likely will do more damage than Good, trying to fix it.

I viewed that video last year, applied that fix, and it failed. I want to take apart the cluster itself since thats where the rattle is. Something is loose in there. I believe the screws that hold the cover on are accessed from the back.. So my question at this point is how to release the electrical connector from the back.. It didnt seem to want to pull off, and I dont want to force it.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Never taken the cluster cover (clear plastic if thats what you mean) but for the electrical connector you take the boot off and unplug it. The plug has a clip so squeeze that a bit and it comes right off.

·
Registered
50 Posts
And second, how do you take the cover off cluster itself? Id really hate to crack it or break a tab!

Thanks.
This is as close as I could come to finding anything about taking the cluster apart.

Post by Rider2Rider also has pics of the insides of the cluster
http://www.riderforums.com/general-ninja-650r/71227-2012-instrument-cluster-led-mod-1-a.html#post762695

At the beginning of his post: item 3. Once the unit is removed from the bike remove the inner circuit board from the housing (four black screws on the back and four silver screws on the inside.)

I also tried to find a section in the service manual that shows how to take all the connectors apart, no joy. Usually, I just look closely at the connector to see what needs to be pushed in or squeezed to release them.

Hope this helps in silencing that buzz.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Never taken the cluster cover (clear plastic if thats what you mean) but for the electrical connector you take the boot off and unplug it. The plug has a clip so squeeze that a bit and it comes right off.
This is it - the boot is really tight. Just keep pulling as close to the cluster as possible and work your way around and around. It will eventually come off then you can unclip the connector.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts