RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw on the Wildhair site, the Metisse tail lifter for the ZR. Says it it offers better mechanical grip on rear tire. "Tested and recommended by German motorcycle journalists." Woo Hoo , yaa, yaa ? After searching, the only thing I can find is that Metisse was involved in cafe racing. But nothing on this product, or this company.

Anybody out there who can tell me what exactly this lifter will do for the ZR ? The pictrure at the WH site shows it as a re-connection of the rear shock to the pivot. This lifts up the tail end 30 mm more.But does that just reduce the squating the rear does when you load it ? Or does it raise the rear up while seated ? We had the slide forward problem initially, but solved it with the Corbin. Will this cause that problem again, or make it worse.

Sounds like it's made to push the rear tire down toward the road surface while riding, to give more grip. But who knows what the other effects may be ? Well, it costs 80 bucks. If it could allow the rear to track better, give more traction, it might be worth it. Maybe save the cost of whole new rear shock !

Anyone have any experience with a tail lifter ?

Tony

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Tail Lifter? Are you sure that's not something Suzanne Somers sells on t.v.? :laugh:

Emrah

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
Jacking the back up throws more weight over the front wheel, allows the bike to turn a bit faster, and gives you more ground clearance at full tilt. The downside is less weight on the rear will have it spinning up if you nail it. If you spend all your time in the canyons it could be a good thing tho'.

It's interesting Amercian road racers tend to like it jacked up, but traditionally Aussies run a lower ride height for stability in the faster sweepers that our tracks seem to have. Jacking it will have you sideways everywhere. Compare Bostrom to Corser. It's just whatever you prefer.

:)

·
Registered
965 Posts
I agree with Titomike, and I liked the Bostrom-Corser example :)

Basically lifting the rear will not only htrow more weight to the front but also reduce slightly your rake angle. Like that the bike will turn in faster, itÄs almost the same as raising the forks in the yokes. Before byuing you could raise your forks a little bit (not 30mmm!!!), 5-10mm is enough and see what this does for your riding.

Aris

·
The Deer Slayer
7,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Emrah, you trouble maker !

Hey Tito & Aris, good advice. I'm surprized no one here has them. Maybe it's better off not using them on a ZR. By "sideways everywhere, " I think you mean sliding...or do you mean leaned over ? Big difference.

Here I thought it would grip the rear, but what you're saying is, it grips the front more.

And, by raising the forks a little, you're lowering the front of the frame, correct, but just a little. Do you think this woulkd somewhat simulate the tail lifters effect ? Cool idea. But with the Rifle clamped on front forks, this may take a little effort. Maybe I'll try it . One thing is that I don't want to loose traction in the quest for turning speed. I'm no racer, and I'm still learning to bank properly.

Thanks guys :)
Tony

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
sliding the fork tubes up in the yoke has two effects: 1) it puts some more weight on the front wheel 2) it gives you a slightly steeper head angle. from people i've talked to it gives a noticeable affect with as little as 5 to 10mm. might make the bike a little less stable at high speeds. but give it a try, it's free and easily reversible.

scott :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Lifting forks

I think I'm going to try lifting the forks a bit. Like said, it's free and reversible. Another way of transfering weight to the front would be a different handlebar. I think I'll buy a drag bar eventually, I am quite heavy and we drive a lot 2-up and the rear shock acts a bit funny in bumps.
I think tail lifter may be a good mod for 2-up riding, or if you had shorter transmission, like dropped a tooth in front sprocket, and did not want to wheelie.
For most people though, a new handlebar and lifted forks could be better alternative, maybe?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts