RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an 04 MS that has over 24000 miles. Previous owner said he always (since new) used regular dino castrol 10w-40. It runs great and there are no leaks. I would like to take advantage of some syn. oil for smoother shifting, but I"m afraid I'll get leaks from the thinner oil? I know it's not like I'm trying to change over from dino to syn. on a 30 year old bike. I'm either going with mobil 1 high milage syn. or the Shell 5w-40 syn. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Why would you get leaks from thinner oil?

·
West Coast Moderator
13,030 Posts
I don't think you'll notice any out-right difference. Maybe an engine noise change, but nothing to get concerned about. Some people swear their engine got noisier and others say it got quieter. I didn't notice any difference.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why would you get leaks from thinner oil?
I heard somewhere that when you put in synthetic in an older/high milage motor, You start getting head gasket leaks supposedly because it does such a good job of cleaning the inside of the motor and the syn. leaks out???? Just what I heard????? :ithank:

·
West Coast Moderator
13,030 Posts
24,000 miles really isn't "high mileage" anymore for a big street bike unless it was ridden pretty hard. 60,000 and 70,000 miles is getting up there, but less than 40,000 is really not a whole lot of miles now-a-days.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I heard somewhere that when you put in synthetic in an older/high milage motor, You start getting head gasket leaks supposedly because it does such a good job of cleaning the inside of the motor and the syn. leaks out???? Just what I heard????? :ithank:
Head gaskets don't even seal oil, they seal coolant and compression. Oil is pumped through oil lines going in the top of the heads and drains down around the cam chain area.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I've got 28K on my '02 and used Castrol GTX 10W-40 and Purolator PL14610 filters forever. Still runs like a fine Swiss watch (or at least as good as new).

Jon

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Theres a few bikes that don't like synthetic and tend to weep a bit. It's rare but it does happens. It has more to do with poor tolerances from the factory than the oil. One of the benefits of synthetic is its ability to get into very small spaces so if tolerances are off it can make a break for it and escape. Its never a lot though and wouldn't have a truly negative impact on the bike, but its annoying to find oil on the outside of an engine and have to clean it off all the time.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I heard the same thing about syn causing a leak. I heard it from a mech. at the local bike shop. Don't remember why.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I think I developed my cam plug leak's right after I swithced to full synth,

so can One go back to dino once you have synth in there? or maybe a semi spectrol Gold?

I change the oil every year anyway no matter the milage,so maybe Im not even benefitting from using synthetic?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Pick something else and then try to stick with it.
not clear what your saying...pick a dino and stick with it? can you go back to dino once you put synth? how about the semi blends?

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Pick a different oil, whatever you want, and then try to stick with it. I don't believe in finding whatever oil is on sale and changing brands every oil change. But if one oil isn't working then try something else. There's no harm in going back to regular oil but I wouldn't be switching back and forth all the time.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Pick a different oil, whatever you want, and then try to stick with it. I don't believe in finding whatever oil is on sale and changing brands every oil change. But if one oil isn't working then try something else. There's no harm in going back to regular oil but I wouldn't be switching back and forth all the time.
Ok gotcha. I ve been using Mobil 1 for the past 3 years straight. And if you can remember,that's about when I posted my first cam plug leak. Lol. So I think next season,ill be trying dino and see if cam plugs stop leakng.

What do youi think about semi's. Best of both worlds?

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
As long as you're using the correct weight and it doesn't contain friction modifiers then knock yourself out. Never heard of an engine dying because of using "regular oil". But the cheap non-branded sludge in a bottle or the wrong weight is a different story.

·
Registered
77 Posts
+1 for developing the leaky cam plugs after switching to full synth. I'll be switching back to dino next go around to test the theory. But I went from dry to sieve in about 2,500 miles.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
+1 for developing the leaky cam plugs after switching to full synth. I'll be switching back to dino next go around to test the theory. But I went from dry to sieve in about 2,500 miles.
+1,,Ill be switching next season...if you do it sooner, let us know how it goes...what are you switching to?

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I wouldn't let it turn you totally off, I've had synthetic since 1k miles and never had an issue. Felt the shifting really became smoother too. Many people with meanies use it.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts