RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally picked up my insurance replacement last Friday. A 2002 black Suzuki SV650K2. What a fun bike it is! It is a much better bike (to me) in all aspects compared to my previous ZR7. It reminded me how much fun riding was. My only complaint is it doesn't have a helmet lock!

The SV has better brakes, more comfortable seat, better ergonomic, and turns brilliantly.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
dude, thanks for the report :) it's nice to get word from someone who really knows the zr-7. after you've had it a while please post a comparison. if you could address things like long distance comfort and 2 up riding i'd be really appreciative. one of the reasons i got the zr over the sv is that it has a longer wheelbase and weighs 100 pounds more. i figured this would make for much better freeway manners on long treks.

BTW, i heard that the sv has a design flaw (?) that starves the engine of oil on long wheelies. just to let you know :)

scott :)

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
AP, congrats!

I'm not sure what the "K2" stands for, so is it the naked one or the semi-faired version (SV-650S as it's known here)?

How do you like the adjustable front suspension for this year? I think you can only adjust preload on the forks, but that's more than you can do on a ZR.

I'd love to have a 650S for canyon carving and twisties, and leave the ZR for day-to-day commuting duties.

Enjoy!

Emrah

·
Gold Member/Community Dad
5,742 Posts
AP,
How could you not love that bike. I would love to have one, but the fatal flaw was the 16 liter (4.2 gal.) gas tank. Try to keep those wheelies under 1/4 mile too.
Berto

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SV650K2 is the naked version. I think K2 means 2002 model. I have seen 2001's labelled as K1.

The front suspension only adjustable by the preload. Factory setting is set at 6 (7 being hardest) and I immediately notice lack of nose dive under braking. This must be good.

The tank is a bit small but I haven't work out how thirsty is this baby. On the ZR7, it has 22 litres tank and I could covered 350km before I had to turn on reserve. It also has a fuel gauge.

The ZR7 felt a bit on the heavy side, but it still held its line well in the twisties. The ergonomic wasn't as good as it looked.

It's a difficult choice. I think it all comes down to personal taste. If you are after long distance travel, between these 2 bikes, I'd go for the ZR7. But for FUN factor, SV is really hard to beat.

If you still want to find out more on ZR7, go to www.zr-7.com, and they have a very good forum.
You can still see my entries in the forum. My user name is AP746, which was my previous ZR7's number plate.

·
MotoMacGyver
2,546 Posts
Hey AP, did you Copy and Paste the last part of that text in the wrong forum/message??? :laugh:

Emrah

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is my impression of my new SV after 100kms.

For:
1) It's so light you can feel it.
2) Fantastic brakes and suspension.
3) Super confy seat.
4) Awesome V twin sound.
5) You sit on the bike - which I prefer.

Against:
1) Small 16 litres tank.
2) Plastics that look and feel like plastics.
3) Non adjustable clutch lever grip.
4) High foot pegs.
5) No centre stand.
6) No helmet lock.
7) No fuel gauge.
8) No parking light.
9) Engine won't start without disengaging clutch.

I will post more soon.

·
Silver Member
607 Posts
i agree with you on every point but the seat. The sv was a bike i was seriously considering but anything more than 50 miles and that seat sucks. Almost everyone i know that bought the sv which is 9 people all say that the seat is one of the worst around. stay to the twisty parts :eek:

·
THE JUDGE
711 Posts
I had cash down on an SV and was even told by the Suzuki dealer that the Zr7s was going to be better for what I wanted. He admitted that one of the major downfalls to the suzuki was the suspension, and I've heard that from almost everyone that has ever owned one.

I'm still quite thrilled that I bought my ZR7s over the SV (had to get my deposit back).

Glad you got a new bike. I know the feeling of getting something different and it's certainly a rush!
Twyla

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I should spend more time riding the bike than admiring it sitting motionless in my garage. My first impression has been good. Suspension was good, seat was good, brake was good. I remember I didn't feel this way when I first got my new ZR7.

I will be taking it to the twisties this weekend, and hopefully I will still be able to praise the good suspension, brake, and seat.

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
If you wanted a V-twin, you could have stuck with the brand but still have that SV650 grunt. No way you would get knocked off this baby in traffic.

:)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I put in another 200kms in the weekend. I still stand by my previous claim that the seat was super comfortable. Maybe it's just my bum. The suspension became harder for no reason. The brakes seemed to have faded a wee bit in bites. But the engine still pulls and sounds as good.

The riding position also makes my right hand turn less natural than my left. It was more balance on my old ZR7.

The choke is hard to use. I have yet to master a cold start in one go. I never had this problem on the ZR7. But, SV warms up quicker.

I think my verdict for the day is if you are thinking of swapping your ZR7 for a SV650, don't. But if you haven't had a ZR7, then go for the SV.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts