RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2000 Suzuki Bandit 600. When I bought the bike it didn't wanna run off choke at all. I took the carbs off and cleaned all the jets. The pilot/mixture screws were set at 3 out so I put them to the recommended 1 3/4 turns out. I put brand new gas in it and replaced the spark plugs. I have the bike running idle at 1100 rpms. When I crank the throttle it revs up fine. When I let go of the throttle it revs down but the problem is when it's reving down it sticks at 2000 rpms and idles there for a while and then goes back to 1100 rpms. It seems like something is sticking but idk what is. ANother problem is when I pull the clutch in it sometimes quits, just completely shuts off. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
but the problem is when it's reving down it sticks at 2000 rpms and idles there for a while and then goes back to 1100 rpms.
IF nothing is sticking mechanically, that often means that there is a vacuum leak around the carbs somewhere.
Do you have a stock air filter in place while testing ??

That other thing is strange.
Is the bike pretty much stock ?
And you do mean when you pull the lever, right......not when you let it out ??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm vacuum leak makes sense. I'll have to double check that and it might not be a clutch problem, might just be a coincidence that it just cuts out because of the vacuum when I was pulling the clutch in or something electrical. The bike is also stock, stock everything. It only has 10,900 miles so I'm guessing it did some sitting. and no, put in the new filter. Its a replacement one. I just started up a little bit ago and it seems to be responding better. Maybe it was just the bad gas and took some time to take the new gas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You! and I don't like SeaFoam anyways. Personally I think it's crap. But the air filter is stock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, I couldn't figure out what the problem was. I thought maybe the slides were sticking so I took the carbs off again. Nothing was sticking so I put them back on. I messed with the idle screw a little and kept setting it till I could rev the bike bike and it would travel through the rpms smoothly. But now it idles like crap and shuts off. Does this mean I should try to adjust the pilot screw?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay I have the idle speed stop lowered (knob on the outside) so it revs through the rpms smoothly. I'm asking if the idle mixture screws on the carbs need adjusted now. or is this a different problem altogether?

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
Okay I have the idle speed stop lowered (knob on the outside) so it revs through the rpms smoothly. I'm asking if the idle mixture screws on the carbs need adjusted now. or is this a different problem altogether?
If the idle mixture was off, it wouldn't idle good OR it would stumble when coming off idle.
If neither of those things is happening, then leave it alone.
Where do you have the idle speed set (RPMs)?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I looked around and found that the P.A.I.R. valve hose was disconnected from the third carb, the one beside the carb with the gas tank vacuum hose. I connected it but no difference. I set the idle speed at 1200rpms and still lags at 2000rpms when revving down. The carbs haven't been synced. Would that fix the problem?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Found my problem.

No air leaks or binding cables. No dirty jets or anything like that.

I learned that the Suzuki engines and carb setup run lean by stock. Since my rpms did not hang when I turned my idle screw down (which is basically a stopper) I then figured out that it was idling lean. Turning the pilot screws to 3 out like when I originally bought it and it fixed my issue. It runs smooth pulling out. No hangs and no lose of power when releasing the clutch which was the other issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts