RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last week I bought a pristine 2006 Ninja 650r from a *lovely* young lady who appeared to be about 130 lbs of solid muscle.

The owner's manual says the 7-setting rear shock should be set to "3" for a 165 lb rider. I weigh about 225 lbs. Any thoughts on the correct rear shock setting?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
just a guess based on what my MOM sez about my 09: 150 pound rider with no accessories or passenger is 4. for your bike, if it has seven settings, as mine does, i'd say 6. a guess, mind you.

:welcome: to the forum, where we're not against'm :D

(oh, duh, yerz has 7 settings :doh)

·
Registered
435 Posts
I need to read up on suspension setting myself. My wife asked me when was I going to take her for a ride!!! I' m not ready for riding anybody yet!!! But when I am, I have to adjust the settings based on total weight correct???

·
Registered
258 Posts
Im 250lbs and decided to adjust mine all the way to 7 from stock, and i love the way it responds. It rides better responds somewhat better.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Google "setting suspension sag". This will show you how to set your pre-load for proper suspension sag. Without doing the steps involved, it will be unknown what setting is ideal for you and your weight.

·
Registered
480 Posts
holy cow i didnt even know you can adjust the suspension. I always thought 650rs just had horrible suspension as everyone says and you had to live with it...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Those are the people who dont read the manual, look at the reviews, or even take time to learn about their bike. Far as I remember every bike has a suspension that has some adjustments.

·
Registered
49 Posts
holy cow i didnt even know you can adjust the suspension. I always thought 650rs just had horrible suspension as everyone says and you had to live with it...
It does. The stock rear shock doesnt have rebound damping and just plainly sucks. I got an Ohlin's rear shock on mine. improved the bikes feeling and handling 100%. The stock front forks are crap too. You can replace the forks oil, springs, etc... but it wont improve that much.
Some people have fabbed a 04-05 ZX6R front fork & triple tree on their 650's with positive notes!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Far as I remember every bike has a suspension that has some adjustments
nah, not EVERY one; though preload adjustment for the rear is pretty standard. For the forks, even without external adjustment, preload can be adjusted via spacer length and damping through oil weight.

I got an Ohlin's rear shock on mine. improved the bikes feeling and handling 100%
Which one did you get? An aftermarket shock is in the near future for my ER6N, so any info. is appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
What should i start with setting my suspension on 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650? I weigh about 147 lbs and clooser to 160 gear on.

·
American Legion Rider
90 Posts
For any bike I usually set it right in the middle and adjust up or down depending on how it performed. Now I like a stiff suspension so almost always I go up a notch or few pounds of air depending which kind of suspension the bike has. It's an individual and bike preference. You have to be the judge.

·
Administrator
2,727 Posts
What should i start with setting my suspension on 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650? I weigh about 147 lbs and clooser to 160 gear on.
Suspension includes both front forks and rear shock. The 2012 (and most models) 650 is known to have stiff front fork springs and a soft rear shock.

Front forks can not be adjusted - other than changing springs and oil viscosity. The rear shock only has spring tension adjustment.

At approx 70kg, depending on how you ride, you could probably leave everything stock and tighten the rear shock spring a little. From memory the owners manual gives you some weight settings for the rear spring.

If you really want to improve handling and ride - buy some aftermarket front fork springs and a new spring for the rear shock. There are a few spring sellers who will set up both front and rear springs for your weight. A good company that I dealt with for front springs was Sonic Springs - improved the front end very noticeably.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Right. I like suspension to be lil tight. I know it on 3/7. Just wanted some opinion on settings. Being new to owning first bike. I like it to be solid amd lil stiff with quick easy response amd wanting to lay into the turn. Im tryimg learm anything i can and quickly.

·
American Legion Rider
90 Posts
Right. I like suspension to be lil tight. I know it on 3/7. Just wanted some opinion on settings. Being new to owning first bike. I like it to be solid amd lil stiff with quick easy response amd wanting to lay into the turn. Im tryimg learm anything i can and quickly.
I also find a little extra air in the tires helps with being able to flick a bike into turns. But I'm talking bigger bikes. Those in the 800+ pound range. Lighter bikes might not need it but might not hurt either.

·
Administrator
2,727 Posts
Be carefull on adjusting the rear spring too tight - it might stiffen up the rear shock but rebound will be sped up resulting in a very bouncy ride over rough roads. Very small incremenatal adjusts until you find the sweet spot for you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts