RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have y'all seen these things yet? Look like motocross/street racers!! Martin, I think you might like these bikes, you to Jarel -- and anyone whose ever been on a MX'er or other off road bike.

·
9,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another motard...

This is the 610, I believe the largest cc of the super motards.

·
9,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and the smallest of the bunch....

Here's Husky's answer to the little Aprilia sport bike....

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
my buddy has the ktm duke. crazy bike. more than $8000 for a 600cc single that looks like a dirt bike. it sucks on the freeway with no fairing but handles like it's on rails! i think it comes with white brother's racing suspension all around as stock equipment. only around 350 pounds too.

scott

·
9,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apparently, super motard is a new and "unique" style of racing which distinguishes the KTM duke from this style of mc. The SM610S starts at $6,500. Tomsuper motard

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Those are cool! I seen a guy on one down here. Totally nuts. I talked to him for a while. He said it was basically a street legal stunt bike.

I also seen them racing on "Speedvision". The track was like an old time TT track except shorter and it had dirt berms and paved track. Kinda weird, but real cool to watch. I hope it grows into something bigger.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
tom, actually super motard has been around since the late seventies or early eighties. the europeans probably started it with modified dirt bikes. in the US there was a motorcycle olympics style event held. there was drag racing, dirt, oval and asphalt. the catch was it all had to be done on the same bike. since there were so many events they shortened it the next year to a single race on a track that was half asphalt half dirt. tv coverage was dropped in the late eighties and so were organized events in the US but it was still popular in europe.

the bikes are usually modified dirt bikes. push the engine to its absolute limit, put on smaller, wider wheels and tires, stiffen the suspension, strip down and lighten the body work for less weight and wind resistance. the tires are often slicks with some hand carved tread or wet weather race tires.

these bikes and races have always had a niche popularity in europe. they're now coming back in the US under the name super tt. the bikes are also popular in japan where they work like nobody's business for tearing up small, tight twisty roads.

what makes the ktm duke and duke 2 so special is that they're production built motards, as i said most of these bikes are modified dirt bikes or some other kind of thumper. two other things that make it special are the unbelievably high quality of the stock components and the unbelievably high price you pay for what is essentially a super hot rodded dirt bike.

scott :)

·
9,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Scott. What has me so intrigued about these super motards is the fact that Husqvarna is producing more than one size of bike in this category. Having raced motocross for 10+ years and knowing the quality of Huskys is what caught my attention. I don't know much about KTM's. But then again, when I was racin', the Maicos, Bultacos, Huskys, etc. were the envy of us Suzuki RM and Yamaha YZ (and Honda) racers back in the early '70's. tom :cool:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Tom- I was right there with you racing my RM125 in the mid 70's. As I recall, KTM's were called Pentons back then. They were pretty high-brow, and highly regarded even back then, and $$$$. And my buddy with a blue Ossa was the baddest on the planet. Now who remembers Ossa? How about the Can-Ams? They were really hot on the MX circuit there for a year or two. Oh the memories and that smell of Bel-Ray synthetic .:rolleyes:

kelly

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i remember the can-am's. more specifically, i remember lusting after them while riding my honda xr-75 :)

ktm has always been high quality from what i understand and attention to detail on the duke is off the charts. it's got this cool little cnc aluminum piece holding the dual exhausts up on the tail. just beautiful. my friend sold his ducati 916 and bought this to use for his track days. he's very pleased with it as a replacement since it has great performance and the same kind of sexy overdone attention to detail as the ducati.

there are places where the dirt bike heritage shows. have you seen the obnoxious graphics? also, there are dimples and such on the body work that are simply a matter of it being injection molded plastic. even though it's top notch stuff there's a limit to the production method. it's not going to have the perfect surface of something like a show bike.

scott

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Don't stop with the Ossa. Don't forget Bultaco, Maico, CZ,and the all mighty "Combat Wombat". Before the days of the RM's, when they were TM's and the original Elsinore's. Yamaha was carrying the MX as the motorcross flagship. All arm pulling, eye popping, face distorting top end. Hell, these new kids didn't invent the "Superman". That was done courtesy of the 70's 2 strokes. Open face helmets, "Duckbill" visors, lace up boots and kidney belts. Do you remember the Malcom Smith visors with the built in mirrors? And Duct Tape. Had to have duct tape! It would fix anything, and what a fashion statement!

·
9,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kelly said:
Tom- I was right there with you racing my RM125 in the mid 70's. As I recall, KTM's were called Pentons back then. They were pretty high-brow, and highly regarded even back then, and $$$$. And my buddy with a blue Ossa was the baddest on the planet. Now who remembers Ossa? How about the Can-Ams? They were really hot on the MX circuit there for a year or two. Oh the memories and that smell of Bel-Ray synthetic .:rolleyes:

kelly
Oh boy, Kelly have you brought back some memories, the sweet smell of "bean oil" from a 2 stroker MX bike and then the dirt and mud and rocks thrown in your face. Hey, I only holeshot once in my brief racin' career, but what a F****ing THRILL that was (I finished 2nd) though. Hey, speaking of old bikes, anybody remember the Hodaka (sp) Wombat? Little 100cc wonder?? Anyway, I know this is a ZR forum, but just have to "brag" about the fact that I attended Gary Bailey's MX school at Cocoa Beach Fl. and it was Howerton that taught me the holeshot technique. Man, to be in my 20's again. Oh well.....Tom :D

·
Registered
965 Posts
Hi guys,

Check this discussion about Supermotards, some great pictures inside. The Husky NOX, VOR, Vertemmati and others.
Wiil be going to the final race of the 2001 European Supermoto Championship on Sunday!
It takes place in Greece for the first time :)
The bad part is I'll have to go on my BMW R75 as the ZR7 is still waiting for the 5th gear sprocket :(
Aris

http://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=13831

http://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=13381&perpage=10&pagenumber=4

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
A bit of useless trivia, GP racer Sete Gibernau is the grandson of Snr Bulto, manufacturer of the Bultaco. His brother is in the tiddlers so the family tradition is continuing.

Actually one thing I luuurv about Supermotards is those laced rims with the fat sticky tyres. They look awesome.

I have polished the rims on the ZR-7 but I think it would be sensational with similar sized chrome spoked rims. Retro rules !!

:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts