RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all out there in cruiser land.

got a question for you regarding cruisers. i currently ride a ZR-7S, being vertically challenged I'm sure that this bike is too tall for me but in 18k of riding it i've learned to adjust. the past two weeks I've been riding my wifes 650vstar while my zr was under repair. I liked riding her bike after I got used to the different style but still have a problem with corners/curves. I'm constantly dragging the floorboards unless I ride it like I'm on a snowmobile and hang off the bike for turns(which is kinda fun now and then but don't want to have to do it everytime I want hit a corner).

So now to the question: Are there any Midsized cruisers out there that can still corner like a motorcycle without dragging hard parts at the drop of a hat? I'm not looking to drag my knees or anything like that I just love to lean a bike over and arc it through a corner. I know that no cruiser will corner like a ninja or gixxer but dragging floorboards when pulling in and out of a parking lot is a bit extreme in my opinion.

thanks

·
Registered
984 Posts
If you're still running stock front springs on the VStar, that's your problem. I gained a LOT of ground clearance dropping in some Sonic springs on mine. I've had no problems getting the lean on in the twisties on my 07 custom since the upgrade.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Lower your ZR........ mine sits like a cruiser... but still take corner pretty well.

I lowered it 3 inches.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Get yourself a 3rd generation Honda Magna. 750cc V-4, relatively light, lots of power and not to steep to buy. I have read nothing but positive things about them. I am not a cruiser fan, and I would ride heck out of one.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Suzuki M50
Scrapes through corners, my buddy has one... he wants a sportier bike b/c he scrapes all the time

Z1000?

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Get yourself a 3rd generation Honda Magna. 750cc V-4, relatively light, lots of power and not to steep to buy. I have read nothing but positive things about them. I am not a cruiser fan, and I would ride heck out of one.
If anyone here ever happens to get a Honda Magna or Sabre, please let me know. I'll send you a link to sign up for a terrific email/bulletin board list.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've got a VMax and i've owned a honda shadow. I can tell you 110% that the vmax is more sporty. It's a cruiser so it's not the best handling, but the power is there and a few modifications can have it handling quite well.

Hyosung gv650 is also a very sporty cruiser. Inverted forks, sv650ish motor, lightweight, decent clearence...definitely one to consider.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sporty Cruiser

Just adding my two cents worth here. I suggest a rider who enjoys push a bike's limits try a Mean Streak (Vulcan Sport Cruiser). Read the reviews gang-this bike has superb handling and stopping for a cruiser and plenty of power for a cruiser. With a little $$ you can boost power and have nice gains.
I also love the Magna's because they are essentially VFR motors married to a cruiser frame, fast, friendly and nimble.
I had one for 10 trouble free years and sold it with 78k!
I shopped around, read reviews...visited forum... for a while (2 years) to find a suitable replacement for the Magna and decided on the Mean Streak 1600 becuase of it's overall performance.
VTX 1800, V-Max and Warriors are faster...but handling goes to the Mean Streak pretty much hands down (of course some might disagree!)-except of course for the Honda Valkyrie which is in a class by itself (Cruiser of the decade) in power, handling, touring ability, comfort, etc.
Well there you have it-I love my Mean Streak-by the way I took her up to the Dragon twice this past summer and really pushed the limits and she did well (peg dragging for sure!) for a cruiser.
I used to ride my Magna (which was a 2nd generation Magna known as a Super Magna- here's my old bike! http://www.supermagna.com/owners_pics/rob_sylvia.htm) with my sport bike buddies and keep up pretty well-so much so they were impressed with the bike over all. Magna Specs: weight: 503 lbs, 6 speed, 83 hp-V Four.
Meanie just a great cruiser too

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the feedback.

From what I've seen I can get a sporty cruiser but it's gotta be the Bigger ones. I just don't want the $$$ penalty of a big motor, more ins, more gas, more cost up front.

Maybe there's something wrong with me but I think I'm one of the FEW bikers who dont' want a BIGGER bike all the time.

·
Registered
387 Posts
No, if there is something wrong with you, then there is something wrong with the rest of the world outside the US, who don't want BIG bikes most of the time.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Well let the flames begin LOL! I am only 5'8" and I ride a 08 Z1K, but I also have a 07 HD Sportster 1200 and it's great! It's low and they are super easy to get lower, they are fast for that type of bike and they handle good IMO. There is more mods for them then you even want to think about and you can get them for a good price and they keep there resale value good. If you get a new one they come with a 2 year unlimited milage warranty. Again just posting about what I think is a good crusier bike for short people.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Have you considered staying in the sport bike scene and looked into the Kawasaki Concours? An awesome sport touring bike with plenty of power. The 2010 models have been changed a lot to suit the riders needs.

The new V-Rods from Harley Davidson are sporty but look to scrape metal.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have you considered staying in the sport bike scene and looked into the Kawasaki Concours? An awesome sport touring bike with plenty of power. The 2010 models have been changed a lot to suit the riders needs.

The new V-Rods from Harley Davidson are sporty but look to scrape metal.
As mentioned in the original post, I'm vertically challenged so I'm sure that I would never be able to ride a Concours. Plus the concours is anything but Midsized.

as far as an HD goes, I've been told by coworkers that I'm not allowed to get one of those because I'll ride it more than I clean it, which I guess is taboo for an HD. Plus I just can't see spending the kind of money they ask for an HD when for less I can get a Jap bike that will do all the same things. Yes, Yes, I know that Harley's hold their value better than a jap bike, but I don't buy bikes to sell I buy them to ride. When I done with a bike it's not usually worth much anyway, too many miles and usage for most peeps.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Personally, I think the "Harleys hold their value better" thing is bogus, for a couple reasons. They're much more expensive to start with, so of course their resale values are going to be higher than Big 4 cruisers. And many sellers believe their bikes are worth much more than they really are, so the asking prices for used bikes is way too high in most cases IMO.

Sorry for the rant. Back on-topic...

If you would consider a Harley but have a limited budget, check out the Sportster 1200 Roadster. Dual front discs, mag wheels, normal handlebar (not the real curly kind) and mid-mount pegs make for better stopping power, and sportier looks and ergos.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
They're much more expensive to start with, so of course their resale values are going to be higher than Big 4 cruisers
Sorry Tim, but it's true. Take a Gold Wing (tourer) and an Electra Glide Classic or Ultra Classic (tourer) (which ever is closest to how the Gold Wing is equiped). Compare them at showroom price and then compare them further out at resale (pick a year). Gold Wings lose alot more of their resale value.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts