RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good & affordable cover for a Meany? The one cover I had is unusable for a big bike like this one, so I'll have to venture out and buy another since I live in FL and it rains too damn much. I'm not looking to break the bank, though... $50 or less preferably. Also looking for something that can possibly be stored in a small/medium handlebar or sissy bar bag.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Welcome to the forum inkbone. interesting handle. Mmm.

The type of cover you choose depends on the intended use. You don't state whether this cover is just for when the bike is at work, needs to be locked onto the bike, will be put on the bike while the pipes are still hot, etc. I can only surmise that you don't want the bike to get rained on, when actually the UV from the sun in FL is a bike's worst enemy. Also, does the bike have a windshield and bags? Aftermarket handlebars? All those are a factor in which size cover to get.

I just use a $20 cover from walmart to protect the bike from dust while in the garage, and the sun if I ride it to work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you :) I'm an artist who used to work with leather and bones. Most people are either grossed out or fascinated by that story..

Apologies for the lack of detail. Looking for something that will cover the entire bike when at work and parked at home, since we don't have a garage. There's some rust on the Meany near the footrests that we want to try and avoid making worse until we can replace them. Would prefer something with a strap and/or lock, to keep it from flying off or getting stolen. And the cover will generally need to go on the bike while it's still hot, too.

No bags as of current, although saddlebags may be added in the future. No windshield, no aftermarket handlebars. Does have an aftermarket intake that sticks out a good amount.
I've seen the covers at walmart, but none of them give a good dimension or general size estimate :/

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
You don't want the Walmart covers for your application. They will melt and are not intended for day after day in the elements. Now that you know what your cover has to survive, you need to look for covers you can afford that are going to last.

Some covers actually come with bags that will strap onto the sissybar or pillion seat. The better (more durable) the cover, the heavier and bulkier it is going to be.

Take a look at the following websites for cover selections. Some sites will also guide you through the size process.

MotorcycleGear.com (the new name of New Enough) :: Motorcycle Jackets, Helmets, Gloves, Boots, Luggage, Parts and More!
Motorcycle Gear, Parts and Accessories - Motorcycle Superstore
Discount Motorcycle Helmets, Motorcycle Jackets, Motorcycle Gear, Tires at Competition Accessories
http://www.jakewilson.com/
http://www.revzilla.com/

Keep an eye out for covers that meet your criteria of being able to be put on a hot bike, waterproof, breathable, secure, etc. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I use the cheapo from Walmart. $19.99. Hasnt melted yet & I cover my bike as soon as I get off of it when I ride to work.
I think they're near the camping stuff near the MC stuff.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
I use the cheapo from Walmart. $19.99. Hasnt melted yet & I cover my bike as soon as I get off of it when I ride to work.
I think they're near the camping stuff near the MC stuff.
That's because the fairing and bags and bars help keep the material from contacting the pipes. They will melt on a stock mean streak. The other problem with the Walmart covers is consistancy. I have bought several over the past 10 years and they have ranged in quality and waterproofness.

An XL covers my full touring bike and is not even tight.

·
Silver Member
4,960 Posts
I too live in Florida (Tampa) without a garage plus I live in an oak grove so they're always crapping nasty bit throughout the year. I've found ebay to be a good source of covers. Of course with ebay you need to do a little research but it's doable. My last purchase was under $20 with free delivery and I liked it so much I immediately bought a second one for stock. My use is a little different than yours tho, I only use it in the driveway and I allow the bike a few minutes to cool before I cover it. Mine keeps it completely dry and dust free providing my neighbor doesn't do me a favor by blowing off the driveway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts