RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2003 kwasaki zrx1200r. The gas tank had some rust in corrosion inside. I was told to put some white vinegar small nuts and a chain in it. Well i didnt have a chain amd decided to use a strap. I got all the nuts out but the straps seriously caught on something inside possibly tied itself around the pipe? Any advice on how i can get it out? Or anyone have a diagram of inside yhe tank? Thank you in advance

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!

I'm guessing it may have got caught around the float for the fuel gauge. It may also be around or jammed between the petcock filter and the tank wall. I've circled both below.

Can you remove the float assembly and see inside? Obviously remove it carefully in case the strap IS wrapped around it. You could also carefully remove the petcock if the float removal doesn't do it.

The only other way to see inside is to get a borescope (mini camera and screen) assuming you can't use a tiny inspection mirror.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and welcome to the forum!

I'm guessing it may have got caught around the float for the fuel gauge. It may also be around or jammed between the petcock filter and the tank wall. I've circled both below.

View attachment 122930

Can you remove the float assembly and see inside? Obviously remove it carefully in case the strap IS wrapped around it. You could also carefully remove the petcock if the float removal doesn't do it.

The only other way to see inside is to get a borescope (mini camera and screen) assuming you can't use a tiny inspection mirror.
View attachment 122931 View attachment 122932
I pulled the fuel gauge and petcock the tank is off. I soaked the tank which broke the corrosion but it was stuck on the walls. So i did the bolts with the strap n when i pulled on the strap it got caught n pulled tight on whatever its stuck on. Now im stuck haha thank you though!

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Well I had hoped you didn't put nuts and whatnot in there with the float and petcock still installed, but you never know about some folks :)

What was the strap made of? Were all the nuts on it or where they loose? Can you get and pull on some of the strap (that's what I took from your original post.)

The only other thing I can think of would be the vent pipe, overflow pipe or water drain pipe around the fuel filler (assuming it has these.)
I don't have any photos of the tank inside, nor have I found any online so far.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I had hoped you didn't put nuts and whatnot in there with the float and petcock still installed, but you never know about some folks :)

What was the strap made of? Were all the nuts on it or where they loose? Can you get and pull on some of the strap (that's what I took from your original post.)

The only other thing I can think of would be the vent pipe, overflow pipe or water drain pipe around the fuel filler (assuming it has these.)
I don't have any photos of the tank inside, nor have I found any online so far.
It was polyester. One of the straps u use to tie stuff down no the nuts weren't attached. The strap must've knotted when i shook it 😬. I have the service manual needed it to rebuild the carb but theres nothing with the inside of the tank in it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was polyester. One of the straps u use to tie stuff down no the nuts weren't attached. The strap must've knotted when i shook it 😬. I have the service manual needed it to rebuild the carb but theres nothing with the inside of the tank in it.
I got it! I rented one of those cameras and used one of the magnetic grabbers n untied it!

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Glad you got it sorted. Good luck with the rest of the rebuild / restore / refresh.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
It is indeed a beautiful bike and that's a great price.

·
Registered
116 Posts
One thing to watch out for is the drain for around the fill hole. There is a steel pipe that runs from the hole to the drain hose in the bottom of the tank.
That pipe has been known to rust through and start leaking gas out the overflow hose.
If such a thing should occur the only solution is to cap off the overflow nipple. There have been some reports of some people threading through a small copper tube inside the already tiny steel pipe then brazing it at the bottom.

So you must be careful what you snag in there. I once spent about eight hours getting six feet of jack chain out of a tank I was cleaning. You should instal a 3/8 inch paper filter on your bike now as well as a manual shutoff for the eventual petcock leak. I'll attach a pic of my setup. All 3/8 inch.

That Rex is beautiful. How many miles?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts