RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Has anyone fitted stiffer clutch springs or serviced their clutch plates?

I was out on the track today and started to get clutch slipping at high revs up near red line.

I'd love some advice.

·
Registered
52 Posts
On a previous bike I was un-happy with the clutch engagement and figured it was worn and sliping. I checked the clutch and it looked fine. I shimmed the springs with a washer and was very happy. Clutch engagement was felt a lot better! I rode the bike that way for about 11k miles. This was on an old bike and I just tried it to see what it would do, you might want to ask the opinon of someone more qualified.

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,140 Posts
I put Barnett clutch springs in mine. Never slipped after that and clutch pull was just marginally stiffer.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will pull out the clutch and have a look at the plates for wear, glazing, and run out, and measure the springs to see if they're still effective.

It wouldn't surprise me if I have to replace those parts as the bike is now only a few months away from it's 20th birthday.

Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
97 Posts
big +1 on the barnett clutch springs! I did it and it made a noticable difference.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was pulling in the clutch noticably harder with the Barnett springs?

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,140 Posts
Just a slight difference. Even with the Barnett springs it was lighter than the clutch pull on my FJR and it has a hydraulic clutch. Of course the FJR has twice the HP and torque of the ZR...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts