RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have waited for winter to just about end, I thought I might ask for input on storing the ZR-7 in the cold weather for us northern folk. :rolleyes: With an interesting winter so far, and me being able to pull the bike out for a weekend about every three weeks, all I have really done is filled the tank and dropped in some gas stabilizer.

What are your thoughts on this ladies and gentlemen?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I actually took the battery out of mine and put a piece of wood under the tires. I always take the battery out of my other toy(convertible) for the winter so I figured it was a good idea. Quite a few of my friends do this with their bikes too.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
If you put it on the center stand and block the front-end, you can totally take the wheels off the ground to keep them from flat spotting. I would think twice about blocking it under the header for weeks at a time, but it wouldn't be hard to get blocks under the fork legs..........my wife bought me a PVC bike cover for X-mas that was inexpensive. She coulda got it cheaper had she known how and where to shop for scooter stuff, but she got it at one of the more expensive shops in town and it was still only about $28.00 (cheap for keeping a bike clean).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thank you for all the great advice. Will print this off and add it to my list to do this weekend. Have a great dayand a Safe ride

N

·
0 Posts
In addition to the other advice, I'd like to add:

Change your oil at least every 6 months regardless of how much or how little you ride the bike. For you Notherners this means in the fall shortly before putting away (with 10W-40) and in the spring immediately after initial start-up (with 15W-40 or 20W-50). The oil will get full of water when the bike is run infrequently and only in cold weather. A problem we don't have here! ;)

Also, beware of water in the fuel. A small amount of isopropyl alcohol will help, unless it's out in the rain in which case I'd completely drain the tank before trying to start it back up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Agian

You guys & gals kick butt!:D Although you have added things for me to accomplish, sounds like I will be saving my bike from an early death. See Ya

JK

1 - 7 of 7 Posts