RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a question, she says that two identical bikes going down a hill side by side, one rider is 150lbs and the other is 300lbs (little more air in the tires), say 55 mph, they both brake hard to 10 mph staying side by side, does the heavier ride lurch forward when they both let off the brakes at the same time?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
still on the same slope

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I say no. All other things being equal, the heavier bike/rider needs more braking force/friction to stop within the same distance as the lighter bike/rider, but once the two bikes come to a stop the energy of the two bikes/riders is equal.

Or, it's a trick question 'cuz you lurch when you apply the brakes, not when you let off the brakes.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
H, I don't know any answer, I was thinking about the possibility of stored kinetic energy, maybe that goes out with the heat from braking.

Maybe I can get "myth busters" to get on some motorcycles! They would probably use blocks of cement with wheels though.

·
Registered
158 Posts
H, I don't know any answer, I was thinking about the possibility of stored kinetic energy, maybe that goes out with the heat from braking.

Maybe I can get "myth busters" to get on some motorcycles! They would probably use blocks of cement with wheels though.
They did race a hotwheel viper and a real viper downhill once, but I don't remember the outcome. I do remember the viper was off, it was coasting. If you search the outcome, that will probably be the same outcome of the bikes question.

·
Registered
44 Posts
lurch?

I don't think there would be a lurch at all.
There is resistance to coasting downhill (friction in the bikes). Applying the brakes only increases that friction. Releasing the friction in the brakes does not negate the friction within the tires, bearings, etc., and somehow create thrust when released. The bikes, regardless the weight of their riders, would simply begin accelerating down the slope again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts