RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help from people who have ridden longer than I have... I've been looking for some sort of reasonably priced storage and have looked at quite a few saddle/tank/seat bags. I guess the first thing I have to say is that $609 is way too much for any kind of storage IMO, which is what K'saki wants for 'their' hard bags.

Basically all I am looking for is something I can ride to school or whereever with all my riding gear on which includes a jacket, pants, gloves, and possibly a pair of riding boots. I'd like to be able to take all of this off and put it into some sort of container on the bike and know that when I come back it will all still be there.

I have basically eliminated soft bags because anyone could just come and cut the straps off or cut the bag open and take the contents out, but maybe there is a good system that would work that is soft?

Basically my question is if I can obtain this goal with a reasonable amount of money say somewhere around 400 bucks? It really sucks when you have to wear a jacket around all day (or carry, blah!) when it's 70 or 80 outside. It also sucks having to wear pants on the same days as well.

I'd appreciate anything you guys have to say on the matter. -Jamie

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
At best, all the security locks are going to do is keep honest people honest. It's been my experience that everyday folks don't mess with bikes and 99.9% of the riders in the world respect other riders' stuff, so the true thieves usually aren't going to grab just your bag, they'll take your bike. The one's that know about the necessity of the straps aren't going to cut them because then the bag isn't worth anything. I had my leather saddle bags and a fender bag on my XR650L and someone went through and stole some stuff out of the bags, but left the bags intact. The thief even stole one of my passenger pegs, but since the bags were under seat mounted, left them alone.

If you are primarily a solo rider you can check out www.usfastbag.com. and see if that suits your fancy. They also offer a ZR7OA discount.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the fastback and took a look at it from the other luggage thread, but the questions I have are some of the minute details that matter to me. I take it this thing is essentially a soft case with a hard top to it? Would that mean I would have to treat it like a soft case in terms of having to put like a dust/rain cover on it and then stain guard the cloth? Are the straps going to be touching the paint? And is it lockable? I plan on eventually buying a one piece suit and I'd hate to come out in t-shirt and shorts to my bike and have all my protection I put in the bag gone. Even my riding jacket I have now would look pretty spiffy to some poser a$$hole if they jacked it. Plus I'd be out of my riding gear for that day. I'd never forgive the world if I were involved in an accident and got roadrash because someone stole my protective gear. If I could get some good answers to those questions I might seriously consider the fastback, although I'm afraid I know the answers are contrary to what I want to hear.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Duh...guess I could remember what I read, huh? Looks like that fastbag is a real winner. 60 liters is incredible. I could put my kitchen sink in there... Well, maybe not, but I could put like every piece of riding equipment I ever could wear at one time in there I think. They mention something about strap pads which sounds like they are taking paint into consideration. I know someone should have one here by now, but don't remember who. Have they written a review yet? If I order a blue top case will it match the bike pretty well? If not I can always go with the black which matches everything. Thanks for your help guys. -Jamie

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Jarel posted pictures of his on the home page.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts