RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to make the bike steer a little faster given a firmer suspension setting and one option I see is in the rear tire where I can go from 190/50 to 190/55. It is a slightly taller tire which will help the bike turn quicker.

Has anyone done this before to any of your current or previous model Z1000 ? If so your opinion please..

I noticed MCN editor Michael Neeves do this change in his long term bike. This at least confirms that the 190/55 will fit without a problem.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I'm trying to make the bike steer a little faster given a firmer suspension setting and one option I see is in the rear tire where I can go from 190/50 to 190/55. It is a slightly taller tire which will help the bike turn quicker.

Has anyone done this before to any of your current or previous model Z1000 ? If so your opinion please..

I noticed MCN editor Michael Neeves do this change in his long term bike. This at least confirms that the 190/55 will fit without a problem.
shakebite has a 190 / 55
i ordered 1 also but when i went to collect it they got me a 190 / 50 i would of said keep it but i had just burnt mine out and had no other transport

·
Registered
80 Posts
the 55 tire was one of the best changes ive done to my 08. do it. that and switching to a zx14 rear shock, the stock one is sprung for a 220lb + person.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I gotta set of metzler race tech's on mine(2005 Z1000) and it's a 190-55-17. Perfect for my style of riding, can't fault it at all. ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
shakebite has a 190 / 55
i ordered 1 also but when i went to collect it they got me a 190 / 50 i would of said keep it but i had just burnt mine out and had no other transport
Yes... once fitted it did seem to make it more nimble. I think I have the same wider bars as you now I found they make it more responsive on the front to a point that it would be very easy to start a wheel wobble on hard acceleration. Also when I was racing a GSXR1100 I preferred to run a 120 front rather than a 130 as I found when running a longer rake and tail on long circuits it would fall into corners much easier.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Rajavidyadas ~ You should definitely switch to the 190/55 like others have mentioned. I rode on the stock 190/50 for a while then have been on the 55 since. The point of the 55 is when your leaned over, there is more tire contacting the ground = more traction. The bike from the very beginning will feel as though you can switch directions faster and just better over all feel. You will have to go with a more aggressive sport tire b/c a lot of "road tires" will not come in a 55(or so I've found). I've ridden every new tire except Michelin PP's 2CT . . . although I have heard they're the best thats why I'm saving them for last.

Good luck with finding the right tire for your riding style!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your great feedback guys!!

I'm currently using the PP 2CTs and have put 5000 miles on it and still looking good. My next change might be the new Pilot Pures 190/55. :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
That's too bad about limited selection. I don't do enough time in the twisties to run anything but sport touring rubber. At least not until I hit the lottery.

·
Registered
293 Posts
There's a lot of info out there about tire profiles.

In general you're changing the height of the tire like this:
http://image.sportrider.com/f/8604371/146-0302-tire5-01-zoom.jpg

This can impact the rake/trail, contact patch, tip-in (both due to raised rear ride height and tire shape), ride height, etc.

Some more interesting discussion here:
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3961814&postcount=1
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4068422&postcount=59
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4000444&postcount=8

What I get out of those is, in addition to profile choice of 190/50 or 190/55, specific tires are shaped differently as well (more V shaped, etc) which will affect tip-in also.

So are all these guys too anal, or should one consider all these factors?

·
Registered
233 Posts
A different tire height absolutely impacts all of those factors mentioned. Tire shape also makes a difference, but there are tradeoffs. On my last bike, I went from Pilot Roads to Pilot Powers. The Pilot Powers, for instance, squared off far more quickly than the Roads but tipped in far better. For me, it wasn't worth the trade, because I commuted daily and the rear was shot after ~4k.

·
Registered
969 Posts
looking at this
http://image.sportrider.com/f/8604371/146-0302-tire5-01-zoom.jpg
made me wonder if a 180/55/17 would be a better option than the 190/50 too
has anyone done that swap?
Some people say its a good trade off going with the smaller 180/55 . . . typically sport touring tires don't come in a 55 only a 50. Maybe someone will chime in who has rididen with a 180/55 vs 190/55. There is always a trade off of performance vs tire life, you just have to figure out whats best for your riding.

·
Registered
545 Posts
the nlop sport smart are availible in a 190/55
very good reviews for a sport tour tyre

1 - 13 of 13 Posts